PDA

View Full Version : Shorinji Kempo in Luxembourg

grifd437
11th June 2010, 13:41
Hi folks,

Luxembourg is a bit like the Shire (if you'll pardon the comparison). The people there like there food, a good smoke, enjoy a good drink more than occasionally and things rarely ever change there either.
The reasons for saying this will soon become clear.

Luxembourg is dominated by this thing called FLAM (Federation of Lux. Martial Arts) and they are not incredibly diverse in what they offer: Karate, Judo, Taekwondo and that's about it.

I studied Shorinji Kempo quite seriously during my time at university (Glasgow) and even managed to get myself a shiny black belt and would quite like to carry on studying and practicing it.

The problem is that since then I have been unable to find any dojos remotely near Luxembourg, the closest ones being in Berlin and Paris (i.e. not QUITE within walking distance) and I cannot see either of the Federations opening up a dojo in Luxembourg either.

And now my question: is there anyone out there who happens to be in Luxembourg, at least a Sandan, willing to start a dojo (and all that jazz) or am I barking up the wrong tree?

If not, is there anyone in Luxembourg who has even HEARD of Shorinji Kempo and who might want to meet up just to talk shop?

Any takers?

P Goldsbury
11th June 2010, 13:50
You did not mention aikido, but a small federation has been operating in Luxembourg for many years. The aikido federation is a member of the FLAM.

As for SK, well, you might need to start a new group.

Best wishes,

ken70
11th June 2010, 17:58
You can open your own dojo and train, for example in France (with Aosaka Senseď), and then become the first Branch Master in Luxembourg.....

Luxembourg-Paris : by the A4 highway = 408 km - 5h05min... ;)

http://shorinjikempo.fr/contact/

Bon courage!

jailess
11th June 2010, 23:58
Don't you want to come back to us, Danny Boy? No plans to return?

JL.
12th June 2010, 06:34
Gassho!

Well, first of all what sissy doesn't walk from Luxembourg to Berlin at least once a week?! ;)
Seriously. Sounds like a bit of a hard place, but also a great opportunity for a new start. You'll probably not find a shiny Sandan (or above) in place already, but maybe a training partner … that would be a good start already. And simply speaking, people have started training groups with less. It's not going to be easy but a sensei from a (more or less) nearby dojo might be willing to sponsor a newly founded group in Luxembourg. Not without knowing You first, though, probably. Therefore Laurent-sensei's counsel is a really good one: Look for a dojo that You can start training at, then try to start something of Your own … if You dare. :)
Also the Berlin dojo (http://www.sk-berlin.de) would most certainly gladly have You here for training whenever the opportunity arises (we train Mon, Wed, Fri plus the occasional extra training). Maybe a return visit could also be arranged!
In short, You'll certainly find people willing to help in case You're willing to put some work of Your own in. Doesn't mean it'll be easy, though. May I ask what rank You are?
Also, training in another MA (like Aikido) can be quite beneficial as well, especially for not getting out of the habit …
Ganbate, kudasai!

Kesshu,
______ Jan.

grifd437
14th June 2010, 07:15
Gassho!

Well, I've been looking for a training partner and asking around but I've come up with zip. While asking around I did find a fair bit of interest though so starting a new club should not be too hard.
However, I have seen the bricks of paperwork branch masters regularly receive from Hombu (yes, I'm taking about you sensei Tony) and I can honestly say YIKES THAT'S A LOT OF PAPERWORK!!!!

I actually created this post in the hopes that I would get a reply along the lines of "Hey, I'm in Luxembourg, fancy meeting up so we can train?" but no luck yet :-)

I'm going to be joining a club or two soon (just to keep myself from going bonkers in the world of the gainfully employed), probably Ju-Jistsu (yes, I realise that this may not be the spelling vatriant that many peole use) or aikido and possibly kendo (the footwork may be confusing but being handed a shinai and told to thwack your partner on the head while screaming your guts out should more than make up for that!).

I've looked in to Muay Thai as well (seeing as it is quite popular here) but I know that too much cross-training ultimately does as much damage to your form as it helps you. Any thoughts on that matter?

To Jame: I was planning on coming back to Glasgow this september but employment reared its ugly head. (NOOOO, I'M BECOMING RESPECTABLE!!!!)

Anyhow, thank you everyone for the advice.

Kesshu, thanks and arrivederci