PDA

View Full Version : ISSHIN RYU in the South?

jchamilton
21st February 2001, 09:44
Due to previous experience in Isshin ryu Karate and also my lack of knowledge on it's growth over the past 12 years in the U.S.A. I was just wondering about what has changed.Uh,sorry..mainly in the SouthEastern portion of the states specifically.

Who on this board is from the Southern states that trains in Isshin Ryu?Where?I know there is or was some sort of political confusion concerning who has what rank and how long they trained when I was a training in it but that isn't exactly what I was wanting to know,ok.Mainly....what has become of the art since the passing of Harold Long?Has it changed?Is there a "successor" as such to his position..Any info on the current status down here in the SouthEast would be appreciated

John H

isshinwhat
19th March 2001, 17:35
Mr. Hamilton,
I have studied Isshin-ryu for going on 11 years now, all of it in Tennessee. I began my studies under Sensei Joe Laney, and later under Sensei Long when Mr. Laney went back to Master Long's dojo to continue his training. We were there until his retirement. If you want to e-mail me privately regarding any current events my address is isshinwhat@hotmail.com .

Neal Simpson

Jason Chambers
19th March 2001, 20:48
While not a student of Isshin Ryu, I know many of the local instructors here in Louisiana. They are all students (to some degree) of A.J. Advincula.

The Isshin Ryu presence is not very prominent here however, with all of the tournament style karate schools on every street corner. It has its own niche though.

isshinwhat
20th March 2001, 02:54
Do you know Mal Wagner?

jchamilton
20th March 2001, 07:44
Neal,

I like to "casual" in communicating with anybody,so forgive me for not refering to you as Mr. Simpson.I am very glad someone finally answered this post!!!Concerning Mr. Wagner..I can't say that I do.I do know..or should I say I use to know Kelly Markham.I think that was his name.He is from Rogersville,TN.I use to train under David"Dave" Park in Dayton back in the 80's.I've tried to contact him but still I unsuccessfull in all attempts.I guess it might just be due to my change that took place in the 80's...I'm into Ninpo you see.I met with and train some with Mr. Long around 88-89 in Knoxville.I'll send you an email to find out the situation as it stands now,ok.

Jason,

Well now,thanks for replying!!I never guess someone from the Ninpo community would reply to this!!!I met Mr. Advincula(spelling correct?) once at a seminar.I can't rememebr where though.I do know that there was some confusion(FLAMING..out loud!) concerning memebers of Isshin Ryu due to ...certain differences I dare not bring up here!!!!It would almost put Nin-Politics to shame in the scope of it all.That stuff doesn't matter though.So you are in the Genbukan.............

Jason Chambers
20th March 2001, 11:21
Wagner does not ring a bell...

I know Mr. Rushing & Ms. Dukes of Baton Rouge
Mr. Tarver, before he left for CA
Mr. Meyers in Hammond (also pursuing Krav Maga)
and Mr. Storms in Mandeville.

While we are not "close" persay, I have had the occasion of meeting with and working out with them... before joiing the Genbukan.

isshinwhat
20th March 2001, 15:13
Good to hear from you. Neal is fine, I haven't earned a Mr. title yet! The last name Storms does ring a bell...I'll ask Mal if he knows him. In fact, that may be his instructor. I just don't remember. I have never met Mr. Advincula, but I have met Senseis Don Nagle and Harold Mitchum. Sensei Mitchum is a class act. Very humble and very much in the know.

Neal

Jason Chambers
20th March 2001, 19:59
The Isshin Ryu community just hasn't been the same here since Mr. Tarver left a few years back.

He had a bout 4-5 schools here in Baton Rouge... now there is only a training group at a local health club.

I was actually in business with a friend of mine and Mr. Rushing years back....

bmaben
31st March 2001, 20:01
You are welcome to visit my dojo anytime.

Burton Maben
5th Dan, Isshinryu Karate-do
Chief Instructor, New Orleans Isshinryu
http:/sites.netscape.net/bmabenusa

smclain3
13th February 2004, 00:28
Yes the name was Kelly Markham and Dave Parks. I can get you in touch with them if you like.

Smclain3@charter.net

Old Dragon
15th February 2004, 23:24
John.

My understanding is that John Kirkner, (check spelling) has taken over for Mr. Harrill. He is the young gentleman that travelled with Mr. Harrill in the last few years he was alive giving seminars and demonstrations. to my knowledge he has taken over the dojo. You could check this out at

www.harrills-isshinryu.com

Out side of that you could contact AJ Advincula, long time friend of Mr. Harrills. Mr. Harrill supported Sensei Advincula in his efforts to promote Isshin Ryu. and vice versa. They both studied with Tatsuo Shimabuku and held similar philosophies and opinions of "How it really was"

Mike O'Leary