PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette in the Cyberdojo

Joseph Svinth
21st February 2001, 10:34
The E-budo rules are: "Please sign your posts with your full name. Profanity will not be tolerated. Blatant commercial advertising is not allowed. Treat your fellow E-Budo members with respect." What constitutes respect in the E-budo cyberdojo?

Neil Hawkins
21st February 2001, 11:32
I think the clue is in the etymology.

We all know the meanings:
-To feel or show deferential regard for; esteem.
-To avoid violation of or interference with: respect the speed limit.
-To relate or refer to; concern.

These are three very different interpretations, so we need to look a little deeper.

The root of the word is the latin spek (spec) which is also the root of words such as specimen, spectacle, perspective, prospect and suspect. It is also the base root of espionage and therefore spy.

All these words have one thing in common, they mean "to look at" rather than "to interfere with". The latin respectum means "to look back at" or "take a second look" and I think this is how we should interpret it.

People here have a degree of anonymity, they can say what they want, we don't know whether they are telling the truth. Respect to me means that we look, we evaluate, we discern the truth, but we don't attack or interfere.

Now obviously this attitude needs to be tempered, there are people out there who are putting others at risk through their lies. We should be able to bring this to light, but without it becoming a gratuitous personal attack.

So I think we should look at what's said, don't react straight away, don't let your emotions get carried away. Take a second or third look and calmly formulate a response. Base any arguement on direct observation or indisputable fact. Do not spread malicious rumour or use innuendo to cast aspersion.

Treat everyone as you would like to be treated and you can't go wrong.

Regards

Neil

Kolschey
21st February 2001, 12:23
Winn Schwartau, author of "Information Warfare" lectures on issues of web and telecommunications privacy. His contention is that, given the potential for internet or cellular communication to be intercepted, copied, misinterpreted, or used by others for their own interests, one should not commit to saying anything in the context of either medium that you would not care to wake up and find painted on a local billboard. This is a starting point that would be reasonably consistent with the Hakakure, even though that book may not be representative of the most active period of Japanese Samurai culture.
Just some food for thought.

MarkF
23rd February 2001, 10:43
When I was still living in Los Angeles, I wrote letters to the editors on just about anything which nudged my jewells, but nearly all were never published.

I then took the time to organize my thoughts so as to "see" what my (social) outlook was at the time those letters were written. In nearly all, I was angry, never gave a thought to reasons for my dislike or not approving of the subject in which I wrote. This was the snail mail days, too.

I decided to wait a full day (24 hours) and then see how I felt about it. Not only were the letters more to the point, I was able to self-edit that which didn't belong, or subject matter no one else would take the time to read.

After that, more than ninety percent of my letters were published, I was known enough at the then three newspapers so as not to be called to verify all the time, and I wrote much fewer letters. That. and someone else said it when mine didn't get there in time, so it wasn't a loss.

It takes time to manage your thoughts in a dojo, your mistakes, taking it out on other students, teacher, etc., but you do manage at some point.

So, forgetting everything I just said, as Neil had all ready said it, wait on it. I still have trouble doing so, but I manage and it works much better.

Anyway, when I want to comment seriously on something, that is what I do, leave it for the next day, and wouldn't ya know it, someone all ready said it.