PDA

View Full Version : Scroll painting: Jujutsu grappling

John Lindsey
22nd June 2000, 03:42
<center>http://www.e-budo.com/pics/jujutsupainting.jpg</center>

Kamuii
25th January 2002, 11:19
These guys look kind of chinese...Chin Na?

Arnold

fifthchamber
25th January 2002, 14:03
No...It's not Chin-na....It's quite obviously the finishing moves in the classical western art of......Tango dancing!!
Checklist; Eyes locked together:) Bodies held close:D and the hand form is perfection :kiss: !!!
Seriously though...John where did you find the picture? In which scroll? Thanks.
Abayo.

Kamuii
25th January 2002, 23:31
Hahahaha! Good observation Fifthchamber! :D

Anyhow, seriously what I meant was the clothing... See? It does not look japanese. :)

Take care!

Arnold

John Lindsey
25th January 2002, 23:52
It is not unknown to have chinese figures illustrated in Japanese bugei scrolls.

Brian Griffin
27th January 2002, 17:00
Originally posted by fifthchamber
It's quite obviously the finishing moves in the classical western art of......Tango dancing!!
Checklist; Eyes locked together:) Bodies held close:D and the hand form is perfection :kiss: !!!You are obviously confused by it's resemblance to the International Ballroom style of so-called Tango, which is known to be a degenerate form.

Such a posture would never be tolerated in the Rio de la Plata region, where the One True Tango continues to be taught privately in its original, full-contact, combat-oriented style.
(Don't believe me? Read the lyrics to "A La Luz del Candil" some time!)

Didn't Bruce Lee talk about "Tango in its such-ness." ?? ...or was that Cha-Cha-Cha?

Kamuii
28th January 2002, 10:24
John:

Now that I did not know, I mean, I knew of some, but I did not realize it was more common.

Thanks John!

Arnold

Mark Barlow
28th January 2002, 23:46
Great illustration with excellent detail shown but the gentleman on the right definitely looks Chinese or Mongolian. The facial hair is unusual and the clothing doesn't look like it came off any store rack in Osaka to me. That certainly doesn't diminish the quality of the print, just prompts some interesting questions.

fifthchamber
29th January 2002, 14:54
Hi all,
It could be that the scroll was originally from a school that had a chinese origin, as in the case of the Yoshin Ryu and the branches of Chin Gempin and his teachings..If so then it could be a reason for the Ryu's scrolls to use chinese characters in the illustrations.
However as John has already pointed out a few Ryu used Chinese characters in the scrolls so it may be completely beside the point.
Okinawa or the Kyushu islands that had 'more' links with the Chinese merchants may well have been influenced to use characters of a Chinese origin in their Densho but I guess only the artist knows 'exactly' why...Maybe he just liked the uniform more or saw something 'saleable' in using chinese characters..
Any ideas on where the picture came from Sensei?
Thanks.
Abayo.