PDA

View Full Version : A few belated reminders

Gordon Smith
22nd February 2001, 13:19
OK,

The last few weeks some tempers have flared, and I haven't been able to keep up with the volume of posts cropping up (due to other considerations). Several forum members have voluntarily stepped in to handle some of the brush fires, but they still keep cropping up.

Let me now restate some of the user-friendly rules that we all know, but will be reminded of by someone with "Moderator - Sword Arts" tagged onto his name. Yes, it's true, I do still live...

1 - Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whatever that opinion is.

2 - As budoka, we should have the self-control and restraint to quietly and calmly accept that some people will not be as controlled or calm.

3 - Topics should stay in their threads until they sufficiently diverge to warrent a new topic. A "He-Said-She-Said" response to a different thread does nothing to further the knowledge of the sword. When I see that sort of thing, it has the feel of "If I get it as public as possible, and vaguely reference the original argument, maybe I'll win," which does nothing but lower the standards of the forum. It should stop.

4 - Please, let's continue in the spirit of this forum, polite discussion of the sword arts, where we can all learn from each other. Note that this is not the same as saying, "Let's all prove that our art is better than everyone else's." Everyone has a different style, even to the point where my MSR is different from your MSR. Keep this as a polite comparison. If someone doesn't agree with you, let it drop, and try to find something you _can_ agree on.

Having said that, the comments and discussions re: Guy and Russell are going to be closed off. I like this forum, and I learn often. There's getting to be more chaff than there is wheat, though - Let's bring Quality Control back into our posts.

-G-