PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Dr. Bodiford RE: Jujutsu in the Old Days

Kit LeBlanc
23rd February 2001, 00:04
Dr. Bodiford,

I just had the opportunity to read your summarization of the information contained in the book Yawara: Shirarezaru Nihon Jujutsu no sekai by Yamafa Minoru (BAB Japan Publishers 1997), from the Aug. 1998 issue of RYUBI, Vol. 6/2

Utterly fascintating!

I hope I am not being I bother, but I think this might be an excellent piece to post here on E-Budo, in the spirit of the recent posts you have made on Itto-ryu and the meaning of Soke. It provides an excellent picture of jujutsu during the 1880-1910 era, and I think the information in there might come as a surprise to many who have a very different picture of traditional jujutsu. Some of it is very close to stuff I have seen practiced in modern submission jujutsu dojo!!

How about it? You have already cracked the floodgates of learning for those of us here at E-Budo, why not drown us!!

Kit LeBlanc

Yamantaka
23rd February 2001, 17:06
Originally posted by Kit LeBlanc
Dr. Bodiford,

I just had the opportunity to read your summarization of the information contained in the book Yawara: Shirarezaru Nihon Jujutsu no sekai by Yamafa Minoru (BAB Japan Publishers 1997), from the Aug. 1998 issue of RYUBI, Vol. 6/2
Utterly fascintating!
I hope I am not being I bother, but I think this might be an excellent piece to post here on E-Budo, in the spirit of the recent posts you have made on Itto-ryu and the meaning of Soke. It provides an excellent picture of jujutsu during the 1880-1910 era, and I think the information in there might come as a surprise to many who have a very different picture of traditional jujutsu. Some of it is very close to stuff I have seen practiced in modern submission jujutsu dojo!!
How about it? You have already cracked the floodgates of learning for those of us here at E-Budo, why not drown us!!
Kit LeBlanc

YAMANTAKA : I second Kit! Please, Dr. Bodiford, DO IT!

W.Bodiford
26th February 2001, 08:10
Hello.

I think I promised Karl Friday that I would revise that summary into a book review for publication in the Journal of Asian Martial Arts. If they will still accept it, then I think that would be the best forum for it. At the very least it would be one more published item for my CV. (Yes, "publish or perish" still rules academia. And, no, messages on e-Budo.com do not count as publications.)

P.S. The author's name is Yamada (not Yamafa).