PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Gendai Sword Forum?

John Lindsey
23rd February 2001, 15:38
Do you feel there is a need to have a new forum dedicated to gendai sword arts, including kendo, iaido, and modern arts created outside of Japan?

23rd February 2001, 20:02
John,

Actually I'm suprised that one doesn't already exist. I recommended that a kendoka friend of mine post a question here concerning bogu a couple of months ago and was suprised when he told me there wasn't even a Kendo/Iaido forum.

Tobs

Neil Yamamoto
24th February 2001, 00:09
Given the spill over from the recent threads, this would make perfect sense.

While these art were not created in Japan, they are here and not going to go away. So love them or hate them, they still need a stage for presentation

Just some guy
24th February 2001, 10:56
I just waned to say that tthough I voted yes, I think that the Forum should be limited to Iaido and Kendo. I think that Mr. Lindsey once said himself and it also says this on the page, that E-budo is a JAPANESE martial arts forum. though oter Martial arts are welcome to swap info here, I think that the Forum should really just deal with the Japanese sowrd arts (old and new). Unless of corse E-budo is changing.

OldRonin
24th February 2001, 11:41
a. I vote yes for a new forum

b. I think any sword arts with their roots in Japanese arts should be included, yes this includes Mr. McCartney's creation. Without a place to discuss such things, how do we separate the wheat from the chaff?
I trust our moderator to step in if it goes down fantasy lane too far. Such discussions are especially valuable for newbies who need guidance.

John Lindsey
25th February 2001, 02:46
Just a note, I don't like to have new forums without new moderators :)

FastEd
25th February 2001, 20:58
I'd say no, its not really needed for a number of reasons:

1. We have not dicussed what it is we are trying to distinguish between here. Gendai and Koryu (some people have different cutoff dates :saw: ), Do/Jutsu ( :nono: ), North American ryu ( :rolleyes: ). e.g. My term for MJER is Iaido, so where do I discuss it?

2. Is there really enough activity in the sword arts forum to warrent another forum (I don't think there is)?

If you are dead set on it, and you want to aviod confusion, then you may need to set out rules on what goes where, and why. Maybe a little online debate could help to :smash: hammer these things out to peoples :D satisfication?

socho
26th February 2001, 01:39
e-budo 'old-timers' may recall that there WAS a separate sword forum under gendai arts. For whatever reason, it was combined into the koryu sword forum. Seems to work better as one forum, more visibility, more input. My 2 cents.

MarkF
26th February 2001, 11:37
All good reasons for and against. I would like to see the attempt, to see if it can work. There used to be a separate jujutsu forum under gendai. Some posts/topics are surely meant to be a discussion of gendai jujutsu, so it would seem to make sense to bring both back if possible, though that would take many topics from the Judo forum.:D

Mark

Rob
26th February 2001, 11:53
As a long time student of a 'modern' jujutsu system you'll not be suprised to hear I agree with Mark F.

I'd even be happy to moderate it.. hey I spend half my life on e-budo anyhoo...