PDA

View Full Version : Sword Style School in New Orleans area?

Tim Soehner
22nd February 2011, 23:52
I'm moving to the New Orleans area (Slidell, LA) shortly. Anyone know of any legitimate sword style schools there?

Brian Owens
28th February 2011, 10:59
I'm moving to the New Orleans area (Slidell, LA) shortly. Anyone know of any legitimate sword style schools there?

Are you looking for a classical ryu or a modern budo? Do you have prior experience, and if so in what art?

For example, there's the New Orleans Kendo Club, which meets at Tulane U. They offer Kendo and Iaido, but that may not interest you.

Tim Soehner
1st March 2011, 06:59
I'm looking for anything interesting really, preferably classical in nature. I have done some Muso Jikiden Eishin ryu so maybe the Iaido at the kendo club might be good for me to check out. My background is Daito-ryu Aiki Jujutsu Roppokai (San-dan), which is non-existent in these parts unless there are some folks that are interested and contact me.

pgsmith
1st March 2011, 16:29
One of John Ray's students used to have a MJER dojo in Baton Rouge. You could probably contact Ray sensei for information ... http://dentondojo.com/

Tim Soehner
1st March 2011, 22:28
Paul,

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out!

Aozora
23rd April 2011, 19:08
Hi Tim,

I'm Neil Melancon--I'm Ray-sensei's student in Baton Rouge. I'm teaching on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Pretty much there's just me and Frank teaching kendo in New Orleans. You can try looking elsewhere on the Gulf Coast, as we're an hour and 15 minutes from Slidell. PM me if you're interested.