PDA

View Full Version : Koryu in Australia?

Neil Hawkins
27th July 2000, 09:24
I would like to compile a comprehesive list of Koryu in AUS.

Here's the ones I know about, listed by state. I must credit Daniel Lee with finding most of these, his web site is at http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/1276/index.html. But the details are sketchy in most cases. Please add or update the information and let us know about your school or training group.

WESTERN AUSTRALIA/NORTHERN TERRITORY
Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo
Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido
Katori Shinto Ryu Keishinkan
Tsutsumi Ryu Jujutsu

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Hokushin Shinou Ryu Iaido
Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu
Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo
Toda-ha Buko-ryu Naginatajutsu

VICTORIA/TASMANIA
Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu
Hontai Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu
Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido
Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo

NEW SOUTH WALES/A.C.T.
Hontai Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu
Ikeuchi Dojo
Suio Ryu Bujutsu
Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo
Sousuishi Ryu Jujutsu
Tenjin Shinyo Ryu Jujutsu
Yagyu Shingan Ryu Heihojutsu
Takenouchi Hangan Ryu,.

QUEENSLAND
Hokushin Shinou Ryu Iaido
Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo

Daniel Lee
27th July 2000, 09:38
I second that Neil! Oz is a big country, and the net is helping us all get in more contact. If anyone has information on the koryu in Australia, please post it to this thread. Any detail(s) would be great. Personally, I'm especially interested in:

1. dojo name
2. ryuha name
3. representative/instructor
4. history in Oz/how got to Oz

Thanks in advance!

BumbleBee
27th July 2000, 15:41
Ok Koryu in Australia eh,

1. Dojo Name - Currently training at Swinburne University, Hawthorn Melbourne.
2. Ryuha Name - Shingen Ryu Kenjutsu, Eight Shield Method.
3. Instructor/Sensei - Matsugi Tanaka Sensei.
4. History in Oz - My sensei (above) was introduced to Wakashema (spelling??) Sensei by his Shotokan Karate Sensei through the Brisbane World Trade Centre...did that make sense?

Well lets just hope that there are some others out there...

Ps: Anyone wishing to train with us is welcome, just give me a mail for the details on: michaelg@mannin.com.au

Tim Atkinson
28th July 2000, 08:02
I have the email address of Paul Steadman of Dubbo NSW, who is forming a Koryu Bujutsu Renmei. He would be a good start.

Contact me privately, as I am not too sure if he would like to release his details publicly.

Paul Steadman
1st August 2000, 16:49
Hi Everyone,

As Tim Atkinson and Daniel Lee have mentioned, I am in the process of facilitating the formation and incorporation of a koryu bujutsu/budo renmei (or koryu federation)in Australia. I am happy to pass on my contact details. Please let me know if you are interested or have any input to offer in the formation of a koryu federation. So far I have recieved a lot of feedback from many licensed instructors representing legitimate koryu from Japan (all listed in Daniel Lee's web-site). My e-mail address is pbs@globalfreeway.com.au, please contact me, it would be great to hear from the greater koryu community! All the best...

Paul Steadman

Dale
4th August 2000, 15:04
I think that a man named Graheme Dunn teaches Tsutsumi Ryu somewhere in Queensland and learned from Jan de Jong in Perth.

I am not entirely sure of this but I remember someone told me they were learning Tsutsumi from him in Queensland. I am also not too sure on how traditional he is in his teaching and interpretation of the art.

Maybe you could get in touch with him.

Sorry for being so ambiguous
Yours in Budo
Dale Elsdon
(Tsutsumi Hozan Ryu)

Neil Hawkins
5th August 2000, 03:24
Dale,

Graham Dunn, is a Jujutsu instructor but to the best of my knowledge has no authority to teach Tsutsumi. There are a number of instructors that have attended seminars over the years and incorporate a number of our techniques into their styles. At one stage Pat Harrington made mention of someone (it may have been Graham, I can't remember) as a successor to Jan De Jong in one of her books but the information was incorrect.

There is only one person outside of Perth that I am aware of autorised to teach and you train with him! :) (There may be two by the end of the year, depending on how I do in my gradings in October!)

Neil

Dale
5th August 2000, 14:42
Originally posted by Neil Hawkins
Dale,

There is only one person outside of Perth that I am aware of autorised to teach and you train with him! :) (There may be two by the end of the year, depending on how I do in my gradings in October!)

Neil

Are you grading for your B/W in October?
I am grading, hopefully, 5 of 7 parts of mine in October.
I will be in Perth from the 1st Oct through to the 15th Nov.
Email me if you are also going to be there, as I'm sure we could both use some willing attackers.

Yours in Budo
Dale Elsdon
(Tsutsumi Hozan Ryu)

Daniel Lee
5th December 2001, 06:21
Liam Keeley, a long-time practitioner of Tatsumi-Ryu Hyoho and Toda-ha Buko-ryu Naginatajutsu and member of the Board of Directors of the International Hoplology Society has recently relocated to Melbourne, Australia.

Keeley-sensei's move to Oz is a wonderful gain for Australian martial arts. Contact details are at some Australian koryu bujutsu information (http://www.geocities.com/koryu-bujutsu/)

Neil Hawkins
6th December 2001, 01:49
Melbourne, why Melbourne? It's much nicer up here in the North West, aren't there any Koryu Sensei out there that want to relocate to Broome?

Regards

Neil

Daniel Lee
7th December 2001, 01:30
That's it - I'm sold! You got any room for a new student in your dojo Neil?!:toast:

7th December 2001, 17:48
Neil,

During a recent trip to Mallorca, Spain to teach a seminar, I met some of your countrymen from Broome. Quite nice folks. They were marveling at the beauty of the Baleric Islands. After seeing the above picture I guess they were just being polite. Very nice!

Toby Threadgill

Neil Hawkins
8th December 2001, 04:12
Thanks guys,

You're welcome at anytime Dan. I don't have a dojo, just train on the beach. Usually by myself, SMR Jo kata's (Seitei and Omote Series) followed by whatever takes my fancy. If there is someone else along then a little Jujutsu or two person weapons stuff.

The more the merrier!

Toby, Spain is nice but at least we speak passable english and have good beer!.

Anyone wants to plan a holiday let me know, I work at the best resort around!

Regards

Neil

Scott Irey
11th December 2001, 07:37
Send me a ticket and I'll be there :)

:wave:

mmFJK
17th June 2003, 01:59
Hello everyone, :)

Does anyone know were I can find a classical martial arts dojo in the Brisbane, Queensland Area of Australia? Or have a list or something............ I would love to get into classical martial arts but I am moving to the given location this winter. For me it is hard to find information about that area so I figured with all the people on e-budo, someone must know something. :)

Thanks for your help,

-Aaron Cross

Daniel Lee
17th June 2003, 02:46
Aaron,

What kind of martial art are you looking for? Ko-budo is quite a unique form of Japanese culture, and you would do well to research your interest carefully through readings in the Skoss' works at www.koryu.com (http://www.koryu.com) and Ellis Amdur's work, Old School at www.ellisamdur.com (http://www.ellisamdur.com) to gain an appreciation of what the koryu are, what you might gain from the study, and what would be expected of you.

Specifically with regard to your question, there are several groups teaching iai (sword drawing) or jodo (staff) in the Brisbane area - you might like to check here (http://www.geocities.com/koryu-bujutsu) as a starter.

Sincerely,

Tim Atkinson
17th June 2003, 04:36
Aaron,

I second Daniels response, and depending on what ryuha you would like to train in, you may well find that the same ryuha is taught in your present location.

This would allow you to go and witness first hand, just what it is you are interested in. It would also allow you to start training now and would provide a good introduction to the Brisbane dojo.

Check out the link to Daniels page, it has many links.

I am living at this time is Sydney and train with Paul Maloney and others in Shinto Muso Ryu Jo. Pauls contacts are on Daniels page. He can put you onto most of the others who practise Jo in this country.

I am also moving up to Brisbane early next year so I maywell meet you sometime. :D

Daniel Lee
17th June 2003, 05:10
I'm delighted to announce the establishment of new koryu websites for two groups here in Australia.

www.jojutsu.com (http://www.jojutsu.com) is the new Australian Jodo-kai national website.

www.schoolofmartialarts.com.au (http://www.schoolofmartialarts.com.au) is the website of Hennie de Vries-sensei (Goju-ryu) and Liam Keeley-sensei (Toda-ha Buko-ryu, Tatsumi-ryu), teaching in Melbourne, Victoria.

The new sites are a wonderful step towards educating fellow Australians on koryu bujutsu and kobudo, and make these arts more available to enthusiasts.

Daniel Lee
17th June 2003, 05:15
Thanks for the thumbs up Tim - the check is in the mail!

Here (http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19779) is some more information on some wonderful new Australian koryu websites too.

Best,

Benjamin Peters
18th June 2003, 08:24
check out this place? (http://www.ninpo.org/branchdojo/Australia/brisbanegroup.htm)

Louvere
20th May 2008, 10:34
For those that may be interested, Yagyu Shingan Ryu (Australia) has it's new website up an running.
www.shinganryu.org

Regards,

Simon
Simon Louis

Maro
20th May 2008, 23:38
Very nice Simon.

I attended a YSR Seminar about 4 years ago at the PYC in Falcon street. I enjoyed it immensely.

Paul Steadman
24th May 2008, 07:45
Hello,

Yep Simon, great site. A lot of thought and work went into this website from the look and content there! I've known Phil Hinshelwood-sensei for about 14 years now, an excellent instructor and jujutsu/bukijutsu practitioner. I've also met Shimazu-sensei a few times and attended 3 of his Australian seminars. YSR is a very good koryu art, very comprehensive and effective (I've had the ouch factor applied to me by both Phil-sensei and Shimazu-sensei). Great stuff.

Cheers,

Louvere
25th May 2008, 23:38
We are currently experiencing a few photo problems with our website. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.:eek:

Simon Louis

JasonW
9th March 2011, 02:48
Hi, I am Jason Wotherspoon, owner of the Secrets of Shuriken Website (http://www.secrets-of-shuriken.com.au) and I would like to announce that I have formed the Brisbane Shuriken-jutsu Study Group and am inviting martial artists from any background, based in the Brisbane/South East Queensland area in Australia, to join and come train with me.

Interested parties can either reply here or join our Facebook group page at Brisbane Shuriken-jutsu Study Group (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=534093387#!/pages/Brisbane-Shuriken-jutsu-Study-Group/141599745861573?v=info).

I will be teaching basics of Shirai Ryu and Negishi Ryu throwing styles, as well as the accompanying history and information that I have available, and hope to build a strong Shuriken-jutsu community here in Brisbane.

Requirements are that members must be aged 18 years or older, of sound health and good mental attitude.

I will organize regular but occasional informal training days, details of which will be announced here and on our Facebook page.

I encourage interested parties to join the Facebook page as it will also be a portal where we can share information, photos, ideas and news etc.

thanks for reading,
Jason Wotherspoon

JasonW
9th October 2011, 05:21
Hi all, in addition to the Shuriken training I am offering (http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47934), I would also like to announce the formation of a study group and commencement of classes in knife combat and defense, with the Brisbane Knife Combat and Defense Study Group.

Interested parties can reply here or visit the Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brisbane-Knife-Combat-and-Defense-Study-Group/136109496479892).

Knife work is mainly from Philippino Kali and Escrima, and I will be integrating it with Aikido, which I believe fits in seamlessly.

The study group is unaffiliated, and in the future we will be looking at inviting instructors from various styles and systems, for seminars and workshops.

I have been training in martial arts for almost 25 years now. My main arts are Iwama style Aikido, Shirai-ryu/Negishi Ryu Shuriken-jutsu, and Yang style Tai Chi, along with Shotokan Karate, Hatsumi-den Ninjutsu, Tong Long Kung Fu and Escrima/Kali. I have been doing a lot of private study and informal "backyard" training with a number of players in various arts, mainly Escrima and also Yi Liq Quan Kung Fu. I have also been practicing Mantak Chia's Healing Tao system for over 25 years, which includes a system of Iron Shirt Chi Kung and Bone Marrow Nei Kung, along with meditation and other internal energy work, so hopefully people will feel that I have something of value to offer.

please feel free to contact me for further info.

Jason Wotherspoon
Brisbane, Australia

JasonW
13th February 2012, 10:00
Hi, note to admins...I would like to edit my original post for accuracy, but cannot find edit buttons. Could someone help please.

George Kohler
15th February 2012, 21:33
Go ahead and post the new information and I'll edit the old.

ScottUK
16th February 2012, 12:55
Hi Jason,

What are the connections between Meifu Shinkage-ryu and the koryu shuriken ryuha that you listed? I understood from the guys over here that MSR shuriken came from TSKSR?

All the best,

Scott

JasonW
18th February 2012, 16:00
Hi Scott,

Shirai Ryu and Negishi Ryu do not have a connection with MSR as far as I know.

MSR comes from Chikatoshi Someya Sensei, of Sugino line KSR.

JasonW
18th February 2012, 16:15
Thanks George. I do not understand...I can edit subsequent posts, but not the original post?

My relationship with MSR has not yet been formalised with Otsuka Sensei so I ask that I can remove references to both Meifu Shinkage Ryu and Otsuka Sensei in my initial post.

New information:

Hi, I am Jason Wotherspoon, owner of the Secrets of Shuriken Website (http:www.secrets-of-shuriken.com.au) and I would like to announce that I have formed the Brisbane Shuriken-jutsu Study Group and am inviting martial artists from any background, based in the Brisbane/South East Queensland area in Australia, to join and come train with me.

Interested parties can either reply here or join our Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brisbane-Shuriken-jutsu-Study-Group/141599745861573) group page at Brisbane Shuriken-jutsu Study Group.

I will be teaching basics of Shirai Ryu and Negishi Ryu throwing styles, as well as the accompanying history and information that I have available, and hope to build a strong Shuriken-jutsu community here in Brsbane.

One of our goals is to build up the group so we can invite international instructors to Brisbane for a visit and formal training seminars. There is a growing interest in shuriken-jutsu on the international stage, - I hope we can be part of it, and get the chance to meet and train with other shuriken enthusiasts around the world.

Requirements are that members must be aged 18 years or older, of sound health and good mental attitude.

I will organise regular but occasional informal training days, details of which will be announced here and on our Facebook page.

I encourage interested parties to join the Facebook page as it will also be a portal where we can share information, photos, ideas and news etc.