PDA

View Full Version : The Danzan-Ryu Alliance

danzanryu
2nd March 2001, 16:20
One of the things that came out of the 2001 Ohana convention was a proposal from Prof. Willy Cahill of San Bruno, CA to form an alliance of the many DZR organizations. Specifically, he submitted the following to a group of DZR leaders:

“To honor the name of Professor Henry S. Okazaki and the art he founded, Kodenkan Danzan Ryu Jujitsu, we, the undersigned, pledge ourselves to work together in a spirit of harmony and cooperation in propagating Kodenkan Jujitsu, putting the furtherment of the system above personal gain. To this end, we promise to foster a sense of community among all Kodenkan Danzan Ryu organizations, and to keep the Ohana spirit foremost in our hearts and minds. As Danzan Ryu practitioners, we will keep the esoteric principles written by Professor Okazaki as the cornerstone of our moral teachings, and will strive to find accord by working in collaboration with one another toward the betterment of our system. Thus, through interaction and cooperation, our organizations will flourish and we will all gain the benefits of working toward the common goal of spreading the study of Kodenkan Danzan-Ryu Jujitsu.”

I have written a short piece about this with additional details in the current Danzan Voice on my web page at www.danzan.com .

Thoughts?

jimmy o'curry
22nd August 2001, 03:56
such ecumenism sounds like a good idea. fragmentation within danzan-ryu/kodenkan needs to be avoided. that could be a tall order, i'm sure, for reasons evident in the "bad budo" forum.

i wish good luck to all involved in the effort.

jeff slade

jimmy o'curry
15th September 2001, 07:36
any other danzan-ryu people here?

jeff slade

DougPai
15th September 2001, 15:14
Yep.

Just too much of a newbie to think my opinion would carry any weight.

Regards,

jimmy o'curry
15th September 2001, 18:40
a newbie?

check out http://www.danzan.com

much good danzan info there

Jeff Slade:smilejapa

DougPai
16th September 2001, 14:39
Thanks,

I have, I will and I do.

Simply,

jimmy o'curry
16th September 2001, 15:01
Enjoy your studies; DZR is very interesting, and there's a lot to take in.

Jeff Slade:smilejapa

efb8th
20th September 2001, 03:05
Hi, Jeff.

I'm a DZR guy. What's up?

Regards,

jimmy o'curry
22nd September 2001, 04:11
i trained for six years in a small, unaffiliated (AJJF-breakaway) DZR dojo;

i like to touch base with other DZR people to learn what i can on the internet;

there's a lot of great info at the danzan.com site, but the discussion board is not very active;

hmm; guess i'm just practicing "kuchi-waza" . . .

Jeff Slade

efb8th
22nd September 2001, 05:28
Hi, Jeff.

I have done Kodokan and DZR for 35 years. I think the Ohana spirit is great, but I can't see the ten DZR groups joining to make the "Alliance" work. There are a lot of fine MA's but they play to much "Blind man and the Elephant."

Regards,

jimmy o'curry
27th September 2001, 03:56
Yes, and smaller groups too, as folks leave to go do their own thing . . .

Jeff Slade

jimmy o'curry
1st October 2001, 04:01
Guys;

What organizations/associations are y'all in?

Jeff Slade
{Unaffiliated}

efb8th
1st October 2001, 04:19
Hi, Jeff.

I usually register with whoever is sponsoring the conventions i go to. So, to answer, AJJF, Shoshin Ryu Nevada.

Regards,

jimmy o'curry
2nd October 2001, 05:24
Thanks, Ed. Any other Danzan people here?

Jeff Slade