PDA

View Full Version : Why did you choose the sword art(s) you are in?

Chip
2nd March 2001, 20:03
Just curious about why you chose whichever sword art(s) you are taking.

I'll tell you why I am if you promise not to laugh. Remember, you promised.

I had previous experience in TKD and Judo before college. When I went off to college I couldn't afford it anymore. So, here I am nine years after high school, 3 years out of college (Just had to get that second degree). I figured that it was way past time to get back into MA. I wanted to find Judo somewhere, but that was not to be. About the same time I started watching an anime series on DVD called Rurouni Kenshin (This is the part where you don't laugh at me). Whithout going into detail it is about a wandering Samurai (actually he's pretty stationary from what I've seen). The more I watched it the more I thought about how I always wanted to take Kendo. So, I start looking around again. Though this time I was determined to find anything I could be happy in. I just needed to start taking something.

After being dissapointed in a few places I came to a school that teaches MJER Iaido (among other non-sword arts). I watched each class with interest, but when I saw the Iai class I fell in love. I was not even aware that Iaido had existed before. Before I went to observe the class I had researched what it was, but I had never seen it before that night. It wasn't kendo, but I didn't care. I had to take that class. I had not been so consumed by a MA since Judo (Which I would still like to take up again someday). I went to the free class with my brother-in-law who had been looking at schools with me. Unfortunately he dicided not to take any classes. Before the class was over I knew I had found what I was looking for. I have made every class but two so far in a four class per week schedule. I used to hate Mondays, but now I love them. It's the first class of the week.

I can't wait for my tax return. So, I can get my Iaito. I don't mind doing the same forms over and over while the rest of the class is doing something different. I am in no hurry. If I did the same form all class long I would enjoy it just as much as if I got to learn something new. Every day I walk into that dojo I feel fortunate to be there. I feel like I'm starting to ramble now so I'll wrap it up here. It's just not everyday someone can say I've found something I want to do for the rest of my life. I wish we had kendo as well, but if I never get to take anything else again I can still be happy.

I just wondered what kind of experience others have had in choosing an art.

Goon Jhuen Weng
5th March 2001, 05:25
I was the same as you actually. I took up Kendo in 98 and after one session, a senior student demonstrated seitei iaido forms to us. I went head over heels over the whole demo. I was so awed that I couldn't sleep for a couple of days and about a month after the demo, I was learning Iaido alongside my Kendo as well. Muso Shinden Ryu is my style and I believe it comes from the same line as yours. So, all the best to your training and don't worry about being laughed at for watching anime. I watched too many reruns of Highlander.....

Deus Fatali
21st March 2001, 17:54
Hey man, I'm not laughing. Kenshin ownz me. easy as that. If you really enjoy it there's another anime which is similar called Kaze Makase Tsukikage Ran. It's cool.
Anyway, back to the point, I think Iaido is a excellent art, as you said it can be repetitive sometimes, but what MA isn't? It's through repitition that ya learn. Anyway, keep it up, I wish ya the best!