PDA

View Full Version : To Guy Power: A question about the 8 noto

HitokiriBattousai
2nd March 2001, 21:06
Do you have names for the 8 noto that are incorporated in Nakamura Ryu? I'm pretty sure there are, but I'm just curious about them since I'm used to only seeing the big "O" chiburi, gedan chiburi, chudan chiburi, and jodan chiburi. Thank you! :nin:

ghp
2nd March 2001, 22:13
There are "names" but they are sort of descriptive.

Note: all noto are done from the monouchi area of the blade, not from the habaki.

Note: "Left kesagiri" -- to us -- is a downward diagonal cut which begins at the upper right and ends at the lower left. Right kesagiri is the opposite.

Hasshu no Noto [Eight Styles of Resheathing]:

1. Chiburi kara. From chiburi. This is the "Toyama Ryu" noto -- similar to the chiburi in Eishin Ryu, at the chuden/okuden levels.

2. Chudan kamae kara. From Chudan kamae. Invert the right hand and "pendulum" the blade to noto position.

3. Hidari gyaku noto. From left kesagiri place the mune upon your right knee; invert right hand; noto.

4. Migi gyaku noto. From right kesagiri, place the mune on your left knee; reposition hands; noto.

5. Hidari kesagiri kara. From left kesagiri, invert right hand and "pendulum" the blade (similar to #2, but from different position); noto.

6. Migi kesagiri kara. From right kesagiri, invert right hand; "pendulum" the blade to position; noto.

7. Ha wo mae ni [shite]. Blade to the front. Similar to a chudan no kamae. Remove left hand to grasp saya; simultaneously, slightly move the blade tip foreward to keep advesary back. Hold this position for a fraction of a second; rotate wrist to bring mune into contact with left hand; noto.

8. Ichimonji noto. Horizontal. Rotate saya so the koiguchi is horizontal to the ground; place mune on the "shelf" made by the left forefinger; pull sword to your right (across your abdomen) while keeping the elevation and blade angle horizontal to the ground. When kissaki meets koiguchi, circle right hand from your right side to the center front of your body -- simultaneously while reorienting the cutting edge and saya to a skyward position; noto.

Regards,
Guy

(ps, you can get this information and more on my website ... see link below my signature block.)

[edited to add title: "Hasshu no Noto"]

HitokiriBattousai
2nd March 2001, 22:17
Thanks, Guy, I appreciate the quick and courteous response! :smilejapa

HitokiriBattousai
3rd March 2001, 04:14
Wow, that was the first time I completely navigated through your dojo's site, Mr. Power, and I must say I am impressed with the layout and information contained in it. How often do you add to the site, rarely or every now and then? Thanks again!

ghp
3rd March 2001, 08:41
Well, I've not added to it for a long time. My Web-Diva is a very busy person (dressage, jumping, working for a major high-tech company) and she doesn't have the time to insert some of the updates I've sent. But then again ... I don't think there's anything else to add right now.... except perhaps a link to Dragon-Tsunami so visitors can purchase Nakamura sensei's video (just released in the US although it was made in 1985).

Ellyn has done a great job! All I did was give her the data and photos, and she did the entire site for me as a "donation" to the dojo. I am deeply indebted to her kindness.

Just a few weeks ago the former server dropped my site (they hosted it for free while she worked for them; after she left, they dropped it after a few months). Single-handedly, Ellyn found a new host and rebuilt the site. There are a few things not working now (she fixed the guestbook -- which I hope you signed) such as the counter -- over 5,000 in less than 2 years (which astounds me as this site is not a "Lord of the Rings" type of site). There's also an award that has a broken link.

Yeah, Ellyn has done a superb job. I'll have to tell her again.

Thanks for visiting the Kenshinkan Dojo!

HitokiriBattousai
3rd March 2001, 16:00
I feel kind of bad having you have to remind me to sign the guestbook, but now you have a new entry. It's a shame we're at opposite ends of the US, I'd love to study Nakamura Ryu. Maybe one day!

ghp
4th March 2001, 05:11
Peter, Chao An!

It's a shame we're at opposite ends of the US, I'd love to study Nakamura Ryu.

That is very kind of you to say. I'd like to go to Savannah some day just to see where my Irish immigrant ancestor lived. He was a policeman way back in 1855. I was born in Columbus ... but didn't leave anything to go back and get (sorry, poor joke).

If ever you go to Orlando, Fl, look up Bob Elder (ecmas@ecmas.com). He teaches Toyama Ryu. Heck, contact him anyway, maybe he knows someone in your area.

Thank you for signing the Guestbook.

Regards,
Guy

HitokiriBattousai
4th March 2001, 05:55
Ha ha, I feel so bad, I had to really look at what you write before I finally realized what it meant. :laugh: Guess I should listen to mom and speak more of my native tongue...

I'll e-mail Mr. Elder now. Thanks again!