PDA

View Full Version : Koichi Tohei Sensei passes at age 91

Shudo
19th May 2011, 14:35
We received this message from David Shaner Sensei about the passing this morning of Koichi Tohei Sensei at the age of 91.
“Dear Aikido Friends, it is with great sadness that I share the passing of Koichi Tohei Sensei at 9:14 this morning in Japan. He was 91 years old. A closed family funeral will occur soon and in some weeks time a formal funeral will be planned in Tokyo where members and friends my be present. With deep gratitude for all his teaching helping many throughout the world to realize their true potential.”
From Aikido Journal.
Sean Halpin.

drmarc
19th May 2011, 18:35
Tohei Sensei was instrumental in spreading Aikido throughout the world. He was the teacher to many of today's shihans and literally brought Aikido to the US. It is a sad day to lose a true pillar of the Aikido community.

RIP

Marc Abrams

Black and Blue
22nd May 2011, 16:42
I recall reading "What is Aikido" as a beginner in the martial arts many years ago.It was the first book I had purchased on the martial arts and it had a profound effect on me and many others for generations.I also enjoyed his later insights into the inner workings of the Aikido phenomena.
He will be missed...

Phil Scudieri
ZNBR
www.DelawareBudokan.net