PDA

View Full Version : Koryu demonstrations & events in Japan

allan
9th July 2001, 09:19
Hello All,

If anyone has information regarding the schedule for the Yasukuni Jinja taikai (or embu?) coming up next week would you mind emailing it to me at allan1000@hotmail.com ?????

Thank you so much.

Allan Heinemann

Brently Keen
23rd July 2001, 18:35
Would anyone who attended this event care to report on who was demonstrating, and tell us on how it went?

Brently Keen

allan
25th July 2001, 05:31
Hello Everyone,

I made it to the taikai at Yasukuni Jinja. Brently, as to your request, I`ll tell what I can. My Japanese is very minimal, so I can only tell you the names of a number of the ryu-ha, and not much else. Also, I missed the first day of the taikai and so don`t have that information. Any names which I give are usually one person amongst many, perhaps the only name that I caught in a long list. My apologoes for any mistakes and the lack of detail.

Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai

14 July
Shinkage Ryu Hyoho

15 July
Niten Ichi Ryu ---iai

?Osaya ___ Ichiden Ryu ? Amano Sensei

Yagyu Shingan Ryu ---taijutsu? Bo and Bokken. White headbands. Very lively.

___ Ichiden Ryu . kenjutsu. Saito Sensei

Shinto Muso Ryu Jojutsu

Muso Shinden Ryu Iai

?Sosuio Ryu? Iai. Itto Sensei, Nakamura Sensei

Jikishinkage Ryu Naginata Jutsu. Hiroko Sensei

Muso Shinden Iai . Tsumura Sensei, Yamashita Sensei. Throws, also wakizashi.

Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Heiho

Shinto Muso Ryu Jojutsu. Matsue Sensei. Fierce!

Ryukyu Kobujutsu ?Takai Sensei?

Tenjin Shinyo Ryu Jujutsu

Tendo Ryu Naginatajutsu. Noguchi Sensei

Tatsumi Ryu Heiho. Iai Sakko Sensei

Muso Shinden Ryu Iaijutsu. ?Oe Sensei?

Toyama Ryu Battojutsu. Including tameshigiri.
?Takayama Daizakoru Sensei?

?Kashima Shinden Shinkage Ryu?/ Shinkage Ryu Kendo

Jikishinkage Ryu. ?Akimoto Arao? Kazunari ? Unlike anything I`ve seen from Japan. They made alot of snakelike hisses, and large circular motions with their arms.

Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage Ryu. Yamamoto Yurisu, Shimura? Honda Kenji.

As I warned, both incomplete and inaccurate. I do have a copy of the program, in Japanese, if this is important to anyone.

Allan Heinemann

Daniel Lee
5th November 2001, 09:17
For those of you that couldn't make it, or even those who did, please enjoy some of the images I captured at the following address:

http://www.geocities.com/koryu-bujutsu/meiji2001/enbu01.html

--------------------

Daniel Lee

Meik Skoss
5th November 2001, 12:31
Are you sure that was Ogasawara-ryu jingaijutsu? I think that it's Takeda-ryu. Ogawawara-ryu includes kyujutsu, yabusame, and saho; Takeda-ryu is the one you want for the old shell game.

Dojorat
5th November 2001, 17:49
Greetins,

Neat pictures. That sword being used in the picture of Shin Muso Hayashizaki Ryu is quite impressive. Is that what's called an Odachi?

Also, it's interesting to see Gaijin participating in the demonstrations. I hope this is a good omen as to the future promotion of the Koryu in the West.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Earl Hartman
5th November 2001, 19:19
Daniel:

I can't see all of the pictues. I keep getting a message that says your site exceeds its data limit or something.

Daniel Lee
6th November 2001, 01:23
Meik,

Thanks for the correction. The Takeda Ryu folks put on a top demonstration, and explained some of the signalling for us in the audience!

Earl,

I've been getting a lot of these messages recently. Basically I'm using a free server, and whenever there are a lot of people trying to access the site at the same time, the site shuts down! Boy I wish I was richer!!

---------------------

Daniel Lee

Steve Delaney
6th November 2001, 15:20
Dan,

For some strange reason, I can't access this site via the link you posted.

"The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. "

This is the message I get whenever I try to access your site.

Regards,

Kim Taylor
6th November 2001, 15:38
Hi Daniel

If you'd like to submit your photos as an article to The Iaido Journal at http://ejmas.com/tin/ I'm sure I could talk the editor into hosting it so everyone could enjoy them.

Thanks
Kim Taylor
publisher EJMAS

Daniel Lee
6th November 2001, 23:28
Kim,

Thank you for your kind offer! That would be great - could I ask where to send the images to (there are four html pages that only list the schools names too)?

--------------------

Daniel Lee

Dean Whittle
7th November 2001, 02:17
Daniel,

Excellent photos, thanks for your effort on this one.

Kim Taylor
7th November 2001, 04:24
Hi Daniel

You can send it to me at kataylor@ejmas.com and I'll take care of it.

For everyone else, please surf on over and check the site out if you haven't done so yet, we're approaching 100mb of articles concerning all aspects of the martial arts.

Thanks
Kim Taylor
http://ejmas.com/

Daniel Lee
9th November 2001, 02:58
Kim and All,

I tried to email the images, but my server won't allow big attachments with e-mail. So, I've moved the images to a new site, so drop by (feel free to download any images - just so long as folks don't have to pay to see 'em!) and use them as you see fit. Kim, It'd be great if you could fit them into your journal, especially.

Here's the addie:

http://www.geocities.com/meiji_enbu2001

Thanks again,

---------------------

Daniel Lee

Kim Taylor
10th November 2001, 18:57
OK I managed to snag all but one of them I think before the Yahoo file transfer limit hit.

They're now up at http://ejmas.com/tin/ The Iaido Journal. Take a look Daniel and if you'd like to add some text describing the event that would be great.

Thanks
Kim Taylor
kataylor@ejmas.com

Originally posted by Daniel Lee
Kim and All,

I tried to email the images, but my server won't allow big attachments with e-mail. So, I've moved the images to a new site, so drop by (feel free to download any images - just so long as folks don't have to pay to see 'em!) and use them as you see fit. Kim, It'd be great if you could fit them into your journal, especially.

Here's the addie:

http://www.geocities.com/meiji_enbu2001

Thanks again,

---------------------

Daniel Lee

popupsoldier
11th November 2001, 05:21
Wow ! Seeing as though it was such a rainy day, and I just got to Harajuku station as everyone was packing up, it:s great to see such wonderful pics!!!

Thanks Daniel.

Tim Oldham

Daniel Lee
13th November 2001, 02:55
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your kindness! My PC's hard-drive crashed on friday, and I haven't been able to get back online since then...

Kim, congratulations on the great job you've done with the design of an easily accessible, and enjoyable format for the images - your page looks great! Let me get back to you soon with a bit of commentary about the day.

With thanks,

Daniel Lee

charlesl
6th December 2001, 06:06
Hello all,

I'm going to be in Japan from Dec. 13th to Jan 8th, and was hoping that people might be able to reccommend and interesting budo-ish activities that might be going on during this time frame. I'm going to be in both Tokyo and Shizuoka, possibly Kyoto, but my schedule somewhat flexible, so might be able to make it to a variety of things. Of particular interest to me would be any events related to SMR jo. I'll be talking to my SMR instructor this weekend hoping he can hook me up with something, but was wondering if there might be any demonstrations or events going on. Although, maybe bad timing for this, since I've heard that most things shutdown at the end of the year.

Thanks in advance,

-Charles Lockhart

Gil Gillespie
6th December 2001, 21:51
The hombu dojo of Mochizuki Sensei's Yoseikan Budo is in Shizuoka. I don't know the address or #, but a world master shouldn't be hard to track down in ihis own home town. Sensei himself is in his 90's and living in France with his son, but his fine cadre of senior instructors carry on. The dojo is on the banks of the Abegawa in (I believe) the Miroku section of the city.

Richie112
24th July 2003, 18:52
Does anyone one know if there are any koryu embu/demonstrations in the Hyogo/Osaka/Kyoto area during August?

Meik Skoss
30th July 2003, 13:50
A friend sent me this e-mail message and I thought I'd post it here on e-Budo as well.

>Hope all's well. A quick question for you: I remember hearing that every three years in Japan, a big embu of koryu takes place. Do you know when the next one will be? Is it held in Tokyo or Kyoto?<

Actually, there are several held each year. The biggest one is generally in February or thereabouts, and it's *usually* at the Nippon Budokan in Tokyo. It does move around the country sometimes, so you'd need to check to see where it is.

There are a couple of other good ones in Tokyo. On 29 April (I think), one at Riverside Sports Center (not too far from Ueno). On 2 November, there's a good one at Meiji Jingu. Outside if it's clement, otherwise it's inside of the Shiseikan Dojo.

Another excellent embu is held at Nagoya Castle, on 10 October. The ryu at this demonstration are mainly from the Owari/Nagoya area, and you'll have a chance to see a lot of good Shinkage-ryu and Kan-ryu stuff one does not otherwise get a chance to see very often.

Demonstrations in Kyoto occur during the spring holiday season of Golden Week (3~5 May). The Budosai is at the p;d Butokukai building, near Heian Jingu. Most of what you'll see there is iaido (mainly Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu and Muso Shinden-ryu), Shinto Muso-ryu jojutsu and its related arts (Isshin-ryu, Ikkaku-ryu, Uchida-cum-Chuwa-ryu), and Tendo-ryu and Jikishinkage-ryu naginatajutsu. Plus odds 'n sods of an awful lot of other stuff (mainly weapons arts).

The Shimogamo Jinja demonstration is at Shimogamo Shrine (gee, I bet you guessed that right!). It's the day after the Butokukai embu. The day after that there's a smaller demonstration at Shiramine Jinja.

Another demonstration is held in the fall, in Hiroshima Prefecture (I think). I have never been to that one, but it's generally just a j.v. event. The ones where all the biggies come outare the demonstrations in February at the Budokan and the one in May, at Shimogamo Shrine.

Finally, every twenty years (on a ten-year alternating schedule), there's the embu at Ise, commemorating the rebuilding of the Inner and Outer Shrines. That's another BIG demonstration, which even the headmasters attend. (Not every soke/ryuha daihyo goes to the others, often preferring to have their senior students do the demonstrating.) The last one was about five or six years ago.

Hope this helps.

hyaku
30th July 2003, 14:10
Aww Meik youve upset me now:cry:

Hiroshima is my biggie.

Hyakutake Colin

Meik Skoss
30th July 2003, 15:24
Well, I did say, "generally," didn't I? I was, as a matter of fact, referring to what happens in the groups from Tokyo/Kanto. To be fair, ryu of a given area usually send their best people to local embu. It makes sense for them to do so. Given that we generally have to pay a major part (and usually all) of our expenses for these events, giving our "baby bunnies" a chance to do their stuff is a good way to share the burden inherent in representing one's ryu.

Earl Hartman
30th July 2003, 19:10
Meik:

I'm pretty sure there is a yabusame enbu at Shimogamo Jinja during the May Butokusai at the Butokukai. At least there was when I was living in Japan. Can't remember if it's Takeda Ryu of Ogasawara Ryu, though.

Also, in addition to all of the iai at the Butokukai, I distinctly remember a lot of naginata, in addition to Niten Ichi Ryu, some Itto Ryu and Hoki Ryu iai. There was also some Shinkage Ryu stuff, although I don't know which line (they wore bright red kote, laquered like the fukuro shinai). I'm sure there was a lot of other stuff, but it's been so long I can't remember.

I even saw a kusarigama vs. kendo taryu jiai there once. The kusarigama guy had the kendo guy completely flummoxed and whacked him cleanly in the doh a number of times with the fundo (that's what you call the weight at the end of the chain, right?); the judges (kendo guys, o'course) were really confused and had no idea how to call it. Pretty funny.

Meik Skoss
30th July 2003, 21:08
No, the yabusame embu is at Kamigamo Jinja, on the north side of the city. I've never seen it, but the one at Tsurugaoka Hachiman, located in Kamakura is pretty interesting. I'm not much on wakyu, though, as it seems a pretty inefficient way to shoot and I'd much rather see a good barebow field archery contest. Inu ou mono, on t'other hand, has a bit of interest to me (if a bit rough on the dogs; perhaps cabbies could be used instead?).

Like I said, there are odds 'n sods of various ryu to be seen at the Budosai Embukai. The Shinkage-ryu group was probably that of Kato S., of the Shumpukan. They've also demonstrated Owari Kan-ryu a couple of times at the Butokuden. Other interesting schools I've seen there are Kogen Itto-ryu, and some kind of jujutsu I don't recall now (this was in May 1974 -- perhaps it was Sekiguchi Shinshin-ryu?).

The isshu jiai can be very interesting. I recall seeing a kusarigama vs. kendo match once, with fairly similar results. That's happened to me once, too, when I fought a guy at a Tendo-ryu seminar. Hazzard S. just couldn't bring himself to call a point for me, even though I hit my opponent numerous times with both the fundo and ha, and nailed him once with the butt end of the e, on the head. Oh, well... it was lots of fun while it lasted. Buko-ryu kama's simply some of the best stuff going; waaaaaay better than Isshin-ryu in my UNhumble opinion.

The best match I ever saw there, though, was between two godan-level cops. One guy had his shinai knocked out of his hands; his opponent came in with a *really* big menuchi. Result? The disarmed guy threw his aite with one of the best osotogari I've seen in a long time and then scored with men dori. Very classic stuff -- it makes me wet just thinking about it.

Earl Hartman
30th July 2003, 21:43
Well, we won't go into the "wakyu is really inefficient" stuff; we just finished our annual kyudo seminar last week; one of the sensei who came over is in his mid 60s, shoots a 45-50 pound bow and regularly hits in the >95% range (95-96 hits out of 100, 14" target at 30 yds). And wakyu is about as "bare bow" as you can get; 300 year old technology, really; the only thing that's really changed since late Edo is the fact that modern bows are glued together with epoxy resin now instead of traditonal glue. I've seen a number of bare bow enthusiasts, and I think that a good kyudo archer could compete with them fairly well.

Also, modern kyudo technique is designed to get the strongest possible shot out of a relatively weak bow; back in the day the shooting was considerably different to allow for a) stronger bows, b) armor, c) the need to shoot quickly in battle, and d) a soft shootng glove as opposed to the hard wrist shooting glove developed for the toshiya which, for reasons that I do not completely understand, is still in use today for close-distance target shooting (perhaps I will get to the bottom of this one day). The draw was probably to the chin or the chest to avoid the fukigaeshi and for foot soldiers was certainly from the bottom up, not the top down as with most modern kyudo. And the bow was not allowed to spin in the hand as nowadays.

One could argue that the Japanese bow itself is inefficient, I suppose; my view is this is primarily due to material limitations; not having access to large herds of ruminants like the Mongols the Japanese did not have a ready supply of horn and sinew for making the kind of short, heavily recurved bows used on the Asian continent. The Jaanese did, however, have a plentiful supply of hardwood and bamboo, not available to the Mongols. You can't build a Mongol type bow out of hardwood and bamboo laminate without having the bamboo shatter if it's overdrawn. So, to get a decent draw length, and, hence, sufficient power, the Japanese, like the English, adopted a longbow design. If you're on a horse with one of those things, lifting it above your had and then drawing down is probably the most efficient way to shoot it.

I have heard that Englishmen brought back some Middle Eastern-type bows from the Crusades; the glue holding the laminations together could not withstand the damp English climate and so the bows fell apart, thereby proving to the English that their yew self bows were obviously superior.

Yeah, Ive seen a lot of that type of "lose-your-weapon-and-then-throw-the-guy-when-he's-stupid-enough-to-lift-his-arms-that-far-above-his-head-'cause-he-thinks-he's got-you" stuff. Actually, what I saw was the ceiling and then the floor since I was on the receiving end of it.

hyaku
30th July 2003, 22:21
Originally posted by Meik Skoss
Well, I did say, "generally," didn't I? I was, as a matter of fact, referring to what happens in the groups from Tokyo/Kanto. To be fair, ryu of a given area usually send their best people to local embu. It makes sense for them to do so. Given that we generally have to pay a major part (and usually all) of our expenses for these events, giving our "baby bunnies" a chance to do their stuff is a good way to share the burden inherent in representing one's ryu.

Yes of course your right.:D We only have Soke and his Menkyo Kaiden do the Budokan. So its the only chance we have. As you also say we have to pay the expenses for these things dont we. If I start making trips up North I might become a bit more famous but then again it would make a big hole in my pocket.

I am up in Tama (Your old hunting ground) every September for a Zekoku Batto Takai. Apart from that its mostly Kyushu.

Hyakutake Colin.

Meik Skoss
31st July 2003, 03:49
Gee, Earl, it's a good thing you let it ride re: wakyu and didn't go into any long discussion re: kyudo. I mean, that'd be the opposite of what you said, right? Yappashi, kimi wa kawarahen, nyah...

You've raised a good point, however, if indirectly, with the example of Middle Eastern (or traditionally made Japanese bows) in what folks laughingly call "weather" there in Olde Blighty. It brings to mind a paraphrase by an American Rhodes scholar of an English poet: "Oh, to be in April, now that England's here." Not to put too fine a point on it, but, yeah, it's best to use what works in a given environment. If a composite bow assembled with fish glue (yumi?) or animal sinew and umpty-dozen secret ingredients is what works, then use 'em. If yew is the best thing going, use that.

I've a longbow made of American yew that's little short of wonderful; it beats my composite recurve hands down in terms of the smoothness and speed of release. It's a good bit heavier (60# @ 28", the recurve is only 48# @ 28"), but feels a lot lighter on the draw. Anyway, it's more interesting, I think, to use local materials and deal with a lot of the other design problems imposed by their characteristics.

Kusarigama's cool, though. Very nasty. The secret is to have a short chain, so it can cycle quicker (that's why I don't like Isshin-ryu as much -- too long/slow).

You remember the scene in the first part of the Musashi trilogy where he fights Shishido Baiken? He gets his swords wrapped up in the chain and then fights to avoid closing with Baiken? It's directly opposite to what common sense would dictate: you *want* that weighted chain immobilized, otherwise it'll pulverize you in short order. (It's what you call "fundoshi" in Japanese.) Close with the kama and then strike him down; that's what you've got your kaiken-cum-tanto for, right?

Earl Hartman
31st July 2003, 04:07
"Kimi" to wa nan da, "kimi" to wa...dousei yobisute surun dattara "omae" gurai ni shite yo. Wagahai wa rippuku de aru.:D

I couldn't let the slight on wakyu pass, as you knew I would not, of course. Like you said, you should know me pretty well by now.

Anyway, I hope at some point to get a proper longbow and a proper steppe recurve (Mongol/Magyar) bow and see what they're like. What I notice, since I've never really seriously studied Western archery, is that pulling a shorter bow of a decent strength just beats the hell out of my shoulders, especially the right one, since you can't get the elbow of the string hand back behind the point of the shoulder like you can with the modern kyudo draw, which allows you to use your entire body to resist the pull on the string. The result is that for me, anyway, it causes a great strain in the shoulder. In addition, the release and the bow shock are really rough compared to wakyu, due to the shorter length of the bow. Still, I am sure that it is just a matter of getting used to it.

Also, in discussions with serious archers, especially those who shoot Olympic style, I find that while the vocabulary is different we are really talking about the same thing. While it is true that the bow in the West does not have the historical, religious, and aristocratic associations it does in Japan, and thus did not develop the kind of ritual and ceremony associated with its use in Japan, the actual heart of the shooting technique seems to me to be very much the same although it is expressed differently becasue of the difference in equipment. In any case, I find that I have much more in common with a serious Western archer than I do with any of the Zen bunnies who are trying to recreate Herrigel.

"Fundo-shi". Jeez.

Mekugi
31st July 2003, 07:26
There is a neat one coming up in Kumano, Hongu.....

Be there or be square!

-Russ

Mekugi
31st July 2003, 07:34
Originally posted by Meik Skoss

Another excellent embu is held at Nagoya Castle, on 10 October. The ryu at this demonstration are mainly from the Owari/Nagoya area, and you'll have a chance to see a lot of good Shinkage-ryu and Kan-ryu stuff one does not otherwise get a chance to see very often.

There are at least two embu at Nagoya castle every year. There was one already held here this spring (May 5th I think it was)I was in, the next one I will have to see about, I dunno if I will be on the road or what....

-Russ

George Kohler
31st July 2003, 07:50
Originally posted by Mekugi
There is a neat one coming up in Kumano, Hongu.....

Quit bragging

Mekugi
31st July 2003, 08:12
DUDE! Grab me some 'Marikan beers and meet me there! Partayyyyy.......

-Russ

George Kohler
31st July 2003, 08:17
I wish I could. You know I just came back from Japan just last June. Spent all my money there.

Mekugi
31st July 2003, 08:55
Darn you and your silly priorities!! You know that budo and beer come first....to heck with da little lady and da family....and money...and the job...(heheh...like I would do that...I am so whipped it's not funny. I mean, who else gets up at three in the morning and bicycles to the local family mart for eggs so I can make breakfast before I leave at 5:30!?)

You shoulda stayed!! ;)

(next year dude....bring that John Lindsay guy too!!!)

Will have pics...will be in mail.

-Russ

Originally posted by George Kohler
I wish I could. You know I just came back from Japan just last June. Spent all my money there.

Maska
7th August 2003, 07:47
Hi all!
I want to offer to exchange all records on Koryu.
I have records on Katori Shinto rju, Muso Shinden ryu, Yagyu Shingan ryu, Ten Nen Rishin ryu, Takenouchi ryu, Kiraku ryu.

Tim Atkinson
7th August 2003, 23:59
What do you mean by "an offer to exchange all records on koryu"?

Are you talking about personal notes and observations or menkyo thta you have collected?

Just wondering.

John Lindsey
8th August 2003, 00:32
I think he means videos.

Maska
8th August 2003, 07:39
Yes, video :)

Vile
20th November 2003, 03:42
I went to see the Meiji Jingu taikai and participated in the Hachimangu taikai and took some photos and a few video clips with my digicamera. Sadly the lightning wasn't the best possible for my cheap camera in either places, but here's some for your enjoyment:

http://people.cc.jyu.fi/~mijuvi/meijijingutaikai2003/
http://people.cc.jyu.fi/~mijuvi/hachimangutaikai2003/

There's two ryuha whose name I can't recall. The pictures are labelled as nandoronandororyu1, 2 and 3 (.jpg). If anybody knows the names for these I'd be more than happy to know. I hope I got all the other names right! You can even see the kanji for the ryu with the ounaginata (I believe that's what they called it) in the picture, but I'm not sure about the reading.

Steve Delaney
20th November 2003, 04:00
Mikko

The pictures of Nandoranandora ryu 1 & 3 are of Takenouchi ryu Koshinomawari Kogusoku. The man in the white montsuki with the yoroi doushi (Armour piercing dagger) is the Sodenke of that line, Takenouchi sensei.

Nandoranandora ryu 2 is of Chokugen ryu Naginatajutsu (Onaginata)

Muhi Muteki ryu 2 is actually Iga Ryuha Kasshin ryu jujutsu.

Also on the list, you have one ryuha listed as Kogen itto ryu, it's actually Ono ha Itto ryu Kenjutsu.

Vile
20th November 2003, 04:09
Thanks a billion mate!

I'll update the names.

Daniel Lee
20th November 2003, 04:23
Thanks for sharing these - there are some great pictures there. :)

Shimura
21st November 2003, 15:22
Quick question. Is that the Hachimangu shrine in Kamakura? It looks familiar. If it is that's great, nice dojo and they got a cool Kyudo range on the second floor.

Shimura
21st November 2003, 15:28
My bad, I forgot to look at your initial pics. It is the one in Kamakura, very nice. Brings back fond memories. I used to spend a lot of time in that shrine at night contemplating things in general.

Steve Delaney
25th November 2003, 06:29
Mikko,

I have been trying to watch the videos you have posted on your page and I can't seem to get them to work for some odd reason. I keep getting back an error message.

Any thing I can do to remedy this problem?

Thanks,

John Lindsey
25th November 2003, 14:10
STeve,

The videos are working fine for me.

BTW Vile, great pics!

Vile
26th November 2003, 05:22
Originally posted by Saitama Steve
Mikko,

I have been trying to watch the videos you have posted on your page and I can't seem to get them to work for some odd reason. I keep getting back an error message.

Any thing I can do to remedy this problem?

Thanks,

Hi Steve,

Could you please specify the error and OS and program you are using? I think the videos should work with your basic windows (if that's what you are using..) configuration with windows media player or other similar player. I've personally have had some problems with RealPlayer though, when clicking videos in a browser. For some weird reason they work well with RealPlayer too when first downloaded to the local harddrive (which I suggest you try doing).

The videoclips shouldn't require any special codecs...

Hope this helps,

Kopiller
9th December 2003, 15:09
Very good photos and videos, i have downloaded all and recompressed the videos with divx 5 from 20mb to 2mb if you want it PM me.

Shin Buke
9th July 2004, 09:29
As some of you might know from reading some of my other posts, I'm planning on traveling to Japan at the beginning of the next year. If all goes well, I should be there for about a year. While I'm there I would like to attend some koryu demonstrations to learn more about the koryu and perhaps even meet some people who are actively involved in practicing koryu bujutsu.

For those of you who are "in the know" concerning this sort of thing, where is the best place I can find information as to where and when various koryu demonstrations will be held? What can I expect when going to such an event? Are there any special rules regarding etiquette that I should be aware of? Any information would be helpful.

Thank you! ^_^

Jason W
12th August 2004, 16:57
Hi all,

Anyone going to this:

The 13th Ceremonial Performance at Kumano Hongu Grand Shrine

Date: August 15, 2004. Commences at 11:00 a.m
Venue: Kumano Hongu Grand Shrine
Address: Hongu, Hongu Cho, Higashi Murogun, Wakayama Prefecture

Tel: 07354-2-0009

The people of Kukishinden Tenshinhyoho will be there.

If someone could get a video of their performance, I'd love a copy. What can I do in return, anyone?

cheers,

Oda
18th December 2005, 09:21
Hay guys,

I went to see the Meiji Jingu Enbu Taikai this year on November 3rd. I saw lots and lots of koryu arts in action, some I had seen before and some that I had never knew even existed. I was a bit late so I couldn't get the pamphlet that had every art's and practitioner's name so I'm still wondering about couple of things. Some arts had the same name and looked totally different. I took a lot of pictures and I would appreciate if you could identify couple of arts for me.

I'm interested in things like what is this? Who are they? Where do they train?

Let's begin with a question about TSKSR that started in this thread. http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31794 I decided to start a new thread with all my questions so here we go. I linked the pictures so your browser wouldn't crash.

Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu

Is this man Otake sensei and his group?
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/TSKSR_Otake_2.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/TSKSR_Otake_16.jpg

Is this Sugino sensei's group?
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/TSKSR_3.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/TSKSR_15.jpg

Yagyu Shinkage Ryu

Can you explain the differences between these two YSR groups?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/YagyuShinkageRyu_6.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/YSR_something_4.jpg

Something Ryu?

What ryu is this and why do they use so long sword?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Whatisthis_1.jpg
ttp://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Whatisthis_2.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Whatisthis_2.jpg)

Finny
18th December 2005, 09:41
Is this man Otake sensei and his group?

That is not Otake Risuke - I believe it is his son. Otake sensei does not perform at enbu anymore (IIRC)

Looks like it.

Dont know, sorry - I'm sure someone else can clarify this for you.

I believe this is Shinmuso Hayashizaki Ryu Iaijutsu - they are known for using particularly long swords. Why? who knows - you'd have to ask them.

a_adika
18th December 2005, 13:31
Thank you Oda for the great pictures!!
I really enjoyed seeing them.
I was wondering if you have any more pictures from the enbu.
I would very much like to see them if you do.
Thank you very much.
A.Adika

P.S. The ryu with the long sword is indeed Shinmuso Hayashizaki Ryu according to the name on the board in the picture.

Karasu Maru
18th December 2005, 17:33
>Yagyu Shinkage Ryu
>Can you explain the differences between these two YSR groups?

I didn’t go to see enbu in Meiji Jingu, but the uniform of two men in the first photo is Yagyu Shingan Ryu Arakido in Kanagawa-ken.
Their dojo is close to my house.
Arakido group http://www.kunpooan.com/arakido/arakido-e.html

I checked movies of enbu of 3rd November, it must be Arakido group.
http://silverwind.air-nifty.com/20051103meiji/p1040083.avi

The second photo’s uniform is Tokyo Yagyu Kai or Nagoya Yagyu Kai(soke’s group).

Regards,

Andrew S
18th December 2005, 20:59
The current issue of Hiden has a full report of the day (I couldn't make it) and a list of the styles that demonstrated and the person who led each demonstration.
My copy is at work, will try to get back to you ASAP.

a_adika
18th December 2005, 21:06
Hello Karasu,
Thank you for the links.
Do you happen to have any other links to some Koryu videos like the one
you gave us???

Andrew,
Thank you for the heads up on the Hiden issue.
I will go look for it tomorrow.

Good week to you all,

A.Adika

Steve Delaney
18th December 2005, 22:09
[I]I checked movies of enbu of 3rd November, it must be Arakido group.
http://silverwind.air-nifty.com/20051103meiji/p1040083.avi

The group in the video file is Shimazu Kenji's Yagyu Shingan-ryu Heihojutsu Chikuosha group, not Kajitsuka Yasushi sensei's Arakido group.

Mrose
18th December 2005, 23:55
The second photo’s uniform is Tokyo Yagyu Kai or Nagoya Yagyu Kai(soke’s group).

Actually, this group is not from the orthodox YSR, I believe they are an off shoot, though I am not sure which line. I am a member of the Tokyo branch that is directly connected to Yagyu Soke. I was given "camera man" duty during their embu. I am at work now but later i will try to post some of those photos.

fifthchamber
19th December 2005, 02:08
There are so many strands of the Shinkage Ryu that to call one an offshoot is somewhat misleading..There are several lines directly associated with the Yagyu family and many others that seperated in the 16 or 1700's..Many of these other groups exist and at any given enbu several can demonstrate...I have seen at least 8 and counting...Not including the Owari groups under the Owari Kan Ryu...There are many.
Regards.

Mrose
19th December 2005, 04:07
Yes, very true. Perhaps "offshoot" was not the best word to use. That one group, however, did the kata quite differently from the way we and the way I have seen the Soke and Jiki-soke do the kata. In fact one sempai of mine was standing beside me during that particular demonstration and said to me in a whisper "zenzen chigau".

But I am just saying that they are different, and that niether of those pictures is of the Tokyo or Nagoya Yagyu Kai.

sven beulke
19th December 2005, 12:29
Hello!
The first picture shows Sugino Sensei himself, the second shows Hideo Sugino, his son and a senior member of the dojo. I dont know her name.
Hope this helps!
Regards

riko seishin
19th December 2005, 21:36
Sorry to be a bother but I am unable to view the video. I get sound but know vid.

Thanks

renfield_kuroda
19th December 2005, 22:21
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Whatisthis_1.jpg
ttp://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Whatisthis_2.jpg (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Whatisthis_2.jpg)
The banner in the back says "Shinmusohayashizakiryu".

Regards,
r e n

Steven Miranda
19th December 2005, 22:54
The group in the video file is Shimazu Kenji's Yagyu Shingan-ryu Heihojutsu Chikuosha group, not Kajitsuka Yasushi sensei's Arakido group.

Not that this has anything to do with this thread, but wanted to comment that I had the pleasure of meeting and training with Shimazu Sensei in Izu Peninsula this past June. Our group and he and his wife spent the evening at a traditional Japanese style hotel. Received as a gift a couple of his tapes and his training manual. Very humble individual. Did I mention the ukemi on the tile floors? That'll teach me to ask about a technique in the book.

:D

Bjørne Hoff
21st December 2005, 10:50
Nice pictures and a very interesting movie clip!

JamesAdamik
6th January 2006, 22:53
Hello,
I have been searching around the Internet, (and failing miserably i might add), for videos or dvd's of the Meiji Jingu Enbu Taikai that are anually on November 3rd. I am looking to find videos both of the last one and ones as far back as i can find. Does anyone know 1) if there are videos of these demonstrations for sale? and 2) where to get them? I appreciate any information you may be able to give me.

Finny
7th January 2006, 06:52
The only ones I know of are the ones you probably are already aware of - at http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=307&page=2

The 8th, 9th, 11th, 12th and 14th Nihon Kobudo Enbu Taikai videos.

I'd certainly love to hear of other, newer videos.

JamesAdamik
8th January 2006, 14:48
I saw those but i was hoping for one translated into english... hmm well is there a list anywhere specifying which ryu were at these events... at least that way i could pick out the names of the various schools before their demonstrations :) i figure the rest may be good on helping me with my horrible japanese :)

kabutoki
14th January 2006, 00:54
Hi,
the combination of a freeze frame and a dictionary should get you there. If you have some clue of japanese you will be able to find out the names of the schools. In most videos the also put furigana next to the names. The commentary in general isn´t always worth to be translated.

Regards,
Karsten

Ron Beaubien
14th January 2006, 11:38
Hello,

There seems to be some confusion about the various kobudo demonstrations on this thread that I thought I should clarify.

The Nihon Kobudo Taikai is an event hosted by the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai and takes place each year on November 3rd at Meiji Shrine. On the other hand, the Nihon Kobudo Embu Taikai is hosted by the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai and takes place each February at the Nippon Budokan or other venues every other year.

While there have been some professional videos made by a company named Elcom which were previously mentioned, those were made with the cooperation of the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai and the Nippon Budokan.

There has never been any professional videos made of the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai's Nihon Kobudo Taikai at Meiji Shrine to my knowledge, although some people have made amateur tapes for their own private usage.

There was some discussion last year about a request by Bab Japan, the company that publishes the Japanese language magazine "Monthly Hiden," to video tape the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai's 70th Anniversary demonstration last year but apparently nothing ever materialized. You can imagine the difficult that such discussions would entail, with up to fifty different schools participating, not to mention other legal matters like copyright issues.

Generally, many koryu practitioners are wary of being video taped. There is just too much opportunity for abuse that it doesn't make it worth their while.

Regards,

Ron Beaubien

Karasu Maru
14th January 2006, 13:27
I am sorry, but my previous comment on enbu photo of Shinakge-ryu was a mistake.
I posted information from my friend, but it was wrong.

According to my investigation, the movie is Chikuosha group’s enbu as Steve-san said.
I thought two people of a bald head to be the same person.

With a reference of my friend, the following movie was written as Yagyu Shinakage-ryu, too. However, this is Shingan-ryu kattchu-jutsu obviously.

http://silverwind.air-nifty.com/20051103meiji/p1040116.avi

Sorry again for my mistake.

kabutoki
14th January 2006, 16:27
Hi,
I am sorry if I caused any misunderstandings. I should have read the posting more carefully. My comments are of course only valid for the videos Ron mentioned and which are not the topic here.

Karsten

Oda
15th February 2006, 03:12
Bumping my thread as I'm reorganizing my photo folder and decided to show couple of more pictures. I need help recognizing these ryus since the embu had so many different ryu-ha included that I have already forgot their names or never even got them.

I suppose this is Araki-ryu?
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Araki-ryu_3.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Araki-ryu_4.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Araki-ryu_2.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Araki-ryu_9.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Araki-ryu_13.jpg

And this is something I totally forgot
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Interesting1.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Interesting2.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Interesting4.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Interesting5.jpg

Yagyu Shingan Ryu is always cool (especially in body armor)
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/YagyuShinganRyu_2.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/YagyuShinganRyu_3.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/YagyuShinganRyu_6.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/YagyuShinganRyuyoroi5.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/YagyuShinganRyuyoroi13.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/YagyuShinganRyuyoroi8.jpg

This is also always cool, but I have forgot the ryu-ha's name
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/IMG_0253.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/IMG_0272.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/IMG_0277.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/IMG_0256.jpg

Steve Delaney
15th February 2006, 04:26
Bumping my thread as I'm reorganizing my photo folder and decided to show couple of more pictures. I need help recognizing these ryus since the embu had so many different ryu-ha included that I have already forgot their names or never even got them.

I suppose this is Araki-ryu?
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Araki-ryu_3.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Araki-ryu_4.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Araki-ryu_2.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Araki-ryu_9.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Araki-ryu_13.jpg

Yep it is Araki-ryu, as taught by Suzuki sensei.

And this is something I totally forgot
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Interesting1.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Interesting2.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Interesting4.jpg

Asayama Ichiden-ryu

This is also always cool, but I have forgot the ryu-ha's name
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/IMG_0272.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/IMG_0277.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/IMG_0256.jpg

Morishige-ryu hojutsu

Andrew S
1st March 2006, 09:30
It's been a long time coming, but I've finally scanned and edited (OCR is far from perfect) the list of participants. Unfortunately my knowledge of some of the kanji and many of the names is patchy, so I've left it untranslated. Probably someone (Colin, the Kemlo brothers, Brian, Mai spring to mind) can help us with that part.

第一会場
武田流降螺術(菅野武臣)
大坪流木馬術(荒川乙彦)
神道夢想流杖術(松井健二)
無限神刀流居合術(長尾全祐)
天真正伝香取神道流(飯篠快貞)
石黒流(田村弘二)
無雙神傳英信流抜刀兵法(森本邦生)
荒木流拳法(菊池邦光)
関口流抜刀術(米原亀生)
戸山流(中村朋子)
夢想神伝流居合術(斎藤芳書)
無双直伝英侶流(桜公路テル子)
気樂流柔術(水科壽美)
心形刀流武芸形(小林正郎)
念流(樋口定仁)
荒木流軍用小具足(保科侃司)
天神真楊流柔術(久保田敏弘)
神道夢想流杖術(米野光太郎)
神夢想林崎流(笹森建美)
鹿島神傳直心影流(岩佐勝)
戸田派武甲流薙刀術(新田寿々雄)
力信流(美和靖之)
鞍馬流剣術(柴田章雄)
立身流(加藤紘)
柳生心眼流體術(梶塚清司)
柳生新陰流(柳生延春)
第二会場
小笠原流(小笠原清忠)
根岸流手裏剣術(斎藤聰)
柳生新陰流兵法(梶塚靖司)
柳生心眼流(島津兼治)
双水執流(伊藤學)
夢想神伝流(釜田正夫)
浅山一樽流兵法〔大崎痛〕
直心影流薙刀術(淘部正美)
直元流(笹森建美)
無比無敵流杖術為我流派勝新流柔術(根本憲一唯之)
霊山竹生島流棒術(菅野富家)
大東流合気柔術(近藤勝之)
開口流抜刀術(宮崎勇夫)
荒木流拳法(鈴木清一郎)
夢想神伝林崎重信流詰合(津村恵治)
気楽流(飯嶌文夫)
神道無念流(小川武)
合気道(植芝守央)
夢想神伝流(高橋次秀)
尾張貫流槍術柳生新陰流(加藤伊三男)
澁川一流(森本邦生)
柳生心眼流兵法(星國雄)
竹内流(竹内藤十郎)
天真正伝香取神道流(飯篠快貞)
小野派一刀流(笹森建美)
琉球古武術(井上貴勝)
森垂流砲術(島津兼治)

fifthchamber
1st March 2006, 13:24
Takeda Ryu Jingaijutsu (陣螺術)
Otsubo Ryu Kibajutsu
Shinto Muso Ryu Jojutsu
Mugen Shinto Ryu Iaijutsu
Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu Kenjutsu
Ishiguro Ryu Jujutsu
Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Batto Hyoho
Araki Ryu Kenpo
Sekiguchi Ryu Battojutsu
Toyama Ryu
Muso Shinden Ryu Iaijutsu
Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu
Kiraku Ryu Jujutsu
Shingyoto Ryu Bugei
Nen Ryu
Araki Ryu Gunyo Kogusoku
Tenshin Shinyo Ryu Jujutsu
Shinto Muso Ryu Jojutsu
Shin Muso Hayashisaki Ryu
Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage Ryu
Toda Ha Buko Ryu Naginata Jutsu
Rikishin Ryu
Kurama Ryu Kenjutsu
Tatsumi Ryu
Yagyu Shingan Ryu Taijutsu
Yagyu Shinkage Ryu
(Second arena)
Ogasawara Ryu
Negishi Ryu Shuriken Jutsu
Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Hyoho
Yagyu Shingan Ryu
Sosuishitsu Ryu
Muso Shinden Ryu
Asayama Ichiden Ryu Hyoho
Jikishinkage Ryu Naginata Jutsu
Choku Gen Ryu
Muhi Muteki Ryu Jojutsu/Iga Ryuha Katsushin Ryu Jujutsu
Reizan Chikubushima Ryu Bojutsu
Daito Ryu Aiki Jujutsu
Sekiguchi Ryu Batto Jutsu
Araki Ryu Kenpo
Muso Shinden Hayashizaki Eishin Ryu Iai
Kiraku Ryu
Shinto Munen Ryu
Aikido
Muso Shinden Ryu
Owari Kan Ryu So Jutsu/Yagyu Shinkage Ryu
Shibukawa Ichi Ryu
Yagyu Shingan Ryu Hyoho
Takenouchi Ryu
Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu
Ono Ha Itto Ryu
Ryukyu Kobujutsu
Morishige Ryu Hojutsu

...You also have the names of the embusha who demonstrated their schools there too..But I won't bother with those..
Regards.

kongoshin
1st March 2006, 15:16
...You also have the names of the embusha who demonstrated their schools there too..But I won't bother with those..
Regards.

Please translate the names of the Embusha for Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu. It seems it's the same name both places...

George Kohler
1st March 2006, 17:20
Please translate the names of the Embusha for Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu. It seems it's the same name both places...

Iizasa Yoshisada

Enfield
1st March 2006, 18:06
...You also have the names of the embusha who demonstrated their schools there too..But I won't bother with those..I think that rather than the names of those demomstrating, those are the names of the heads of the groups given the demonstrations. Sasamori Takemi is listed for Shin Muso Hayashizaki Ryu, but he's not demonstrating, at least not in the pictures that Oda posted.

Andrew S
1st March 2006, 20:45
The names are those of the representatives.

fifthchamber
1st March 2006, 23:06
The Katori Shinto Ryu demos were performed by both groups..Both are listed under Iizasa Yasusada...And in the majority of cases the representative was present..So I used embusha..
Regards.

Mekugi
5th March 2006, 16:53
The gentleman on the left-hand side of this picture is a leading member of a branch of Sosuishitsuryu in Tokyo- just as an aside.

Steve Delaney
6th March 2006, 13:03
The gentleman on the left-hand side of this picture is a leading member of a branch of Sosuishitsuryu in Tokyo- just as an aside.

Yes, Ito Manabu of the Kosonkai Sosuishi-ryu group.

RobertRousselot
6th March 2006, 23:54
What's up with the cheezy "Black Belt Magazine" looking kama?
You would think he could get something a little more "koryu~ish".
Did he go to "Pimp My Kama" or something?

Steve Delaney
7th March 2006, 10:33
What's up with the cheezy "Black Belt Magazine" looking kama?
Did he go to "Pimp My Kama" or something?

You know, when I originally read that, I was tempted to write about Matsui Kenji and his huge "Okama" ! :rolleyes:

RobertRousselot
7th March 2006, 13:49
You know, when I originally read that, I was tempted to write about Matsui Kenji and his huge "Okama" ! :rolleyes:

No Steve, we don't want to go there now do we...... :)

Nigel Lewis
11th March 2006, 16:03
Hay guys,

I went to see the Meiji Jingu Enbu Taikai this year on November 3rd.
Yagyu Shinkage Ryu

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/YagyuShinkageRyu_6.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/YSR_something_4.jpg

Hello. To help you with your question about the two different groups in Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, the first picture:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d...inkageRyu_6.jpg
is of Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Hyouho. The man on the left is Terakubo, (I forgot his first name) sensei, and the man on the right is Kajitsuka, Yasushi sensei. I study directly under them. Kajitsuka sensei is a shihan and he recieved his title under Mutoh, Masao sensei, who recieved it from Ohtsubo, Shiho sensei, who recieved it from Yagyu Gansyu Toshichika sensei and Yagyu Gencho Toshinaga sensei.

The other picture: http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d...something_4.jpg
I believe is of Yagyu, Nobuhara sensei (on the right) who is the present day DIRECT linear soke of Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, but I cannot see from this angle.

There are quite a few differences between the two branches and it could fill a book. In a nut shell, one targets the wrists and the other targets a little higher up on the forearm. Also there are some differences in the footwork. Small details that are very unnoticable.

I hope that helps.
Nigel Lewis

Oda
12th March 2006, 02:01
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the info and great to have another koryu practitioner on board. Looks like Photobucket deleted some of the old photos automatically so I uploaded those again.

So this is your group. Terakubo and Katsujika Yasushi-sensei.

I don't think this picture includes Yagyu Nobuhara for as I remember Yagyu Nobuhara wasn't present at the embu.
All we know of this group so far.

Actually, this group is not from the orthodox YSR, I believe they are an off shoot, though I am not sure which line.

This should be Owari-ha Yagyu Shinkage Ryu
Owari-ha YSR 1 (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Owari-haYSR_6.jpg)
Owari-ha YSR 2 (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Owari-haYSR_2.jpg)
Owari-ha YSR, on the right Yagyu Koichi future headmaster (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Owari-haYSR_9.jpg)

And thanks to everyone who replied to this thread and brought more information.

Oda
12th March 2006, 02:07

:p

So what would be something more koryuish? Is koryu karate's kama good enough for you?
Koryu karate kama (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/TakedaShingen/meijienbu/Koryu_Karate_1.jpg)

Steve Delaney
13th March 2006, 00:51
I don't think this picture includes Yagyu Nobuhara for as I remember Yagyu Nobuhara wasn't present at the embu.
All we know of this group so far.

Sorry to correct you, but it's Nobuharu (延春 )  :)

Steve Delaney
8th May 2006, 19:26
HI! This is Russ Ebert here....Steve Delaney didn't sign out of his account when he was at my house here last week, so I accidentally posted as him (I am going to sign out as soon as I edit this post).

I (Russ) recently uploaded Embu videos at YouTube.com

Check them out, leave comments, etc. :

Bojutsu (staff)

Yagyu Shingan Ryu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYLvICsSddo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I396IiQhtEM

Jujutsu (unarmed)

Yagyu Shingan Ryu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiE4bKuhuE4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrTjAKE01f0

Takenouchi Ryu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHyCsmn44NY

Kenjutsu (sword):

Owari kan Ryu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTM0qctatvk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a4q61PKtAQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsfNuzJYBng

Yagyu Shingan Ryu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64hSQV9VSZw

Yakumura Jigen Ryu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5dAUfTQjSw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvNm3sQwcv8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m3LHFuY3J8

Kusarigama (sickle and chain):

Tendo Ryu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25T1W2d-E6k

Naginata (halbred)

Tendo Ryu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZZgGL370Uw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjscApgU7eA

Owari Kan Ryu (Shinto ryu)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpDNf4xr8dc

Sojutsu (spear)

Owari Kan Ryu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dk2ylxYHUA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN2g-hD_dSw

Incidentally Steve, remember to sign out of your account when you are at my house- I could really wreak some havoc :).

pgsmith
8th May 2006, 19:41
Cool!
Thanks for sharing Russ!

Mekugi
8th May 2006, 19:53
Cool!
Thanks for sharing Russ!
Ya-sure-ya-betcha! :p

Prince Loeffler
8th May 2006, 19:57
Thanks Russ ! I enjoyed it a lot ! Now which one are you ?

Mekugi
8th May 2006, 19:59
Thanks Russ ! I enjoyed it a lot ! Now which one are you ?

Actually I am actually not in any of those. I rather dread putting my own embu online- something about looking at mistakes over and over again that drives me batty.
Anyway...

Kusari (chain):

Hoten Ryu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap-2DXJIo5U

I am the bald-crested-lummox disgracing the sword.

Prince Loeffler
8th May 2006, 20:14
Actually I am actually not in any of those. I rather dread putting my own embu online- something about looking at mistakes over and over again that drives me batty.
Anyway...

Kusari (chain):

Hoten Ryu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap-2DXJIo5U

I am the bald-crested-lummox disgracing the sword.

That's why when I do my kata ! Paparazzi are forbidden inside the dojo... :D :D

Mekugi
8th May 2006, 20:36
Here are some of Sato Kinbei's group demonstrating:

Yagyu Shingan Ryu Heijutsu:

Taijutsu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tOZ-0NXHpQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmgL7yktXCs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31yM7MZjXRc

Kenjutsu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOoJYQwtB78

Takeda Ryu aiko no jutsu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4EtVE7Kae4

"Tenshin Ryu (Tenshin Koryu / Shinto Tenshin Ryu ?)" Hishigi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUrw4nFxA1Y

Eric Montes
8th May 2006, 21:24
Naginata (halbred)

Tendo Ryu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZZgGL370Uw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjscApgU7eA

Russ,
Cheer for posting these. The quoted links are not for Tendo ryu. They are Zen Nihon Naginata Renmei kihon and shiai.

Eric

Ron Tisdale
8th May 2006, 21:29
Takeda Ryu aiko no jutsu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4EtVE7Kae4

eww. Is it me, or do they resemble someone imitating bits and pieces of Daito ryu waza with really bad zanshin...

Best,
Ron

Mekugi
8th May 2006, 22:38
Russ,
Cheer for posting these. The quoted links are not for Tendo ryu. They are Zen Nihon Naginata Renmei kihon and shiai.

Eric

It's not a link to the Kata of Tendo Ryu. That is a branch of Tendo Ryu demonstrating the ZenKenRen. I should make that clearer though.

-Russ

Mekugi
8th May 2006, 22:41
eww. Is it me, or do they resemble someone imitating bits and pieces of Daito ryu waza with really bad zanshin...

Best,
Ron

You mean that beginning student or both?

Finny
9th May 2006, 01:48
Thanks very much Russ - great clips!

DarkThrone
9th May 2006, 01:48
Thank you very much for postin the koryu clips.

fifthchamber
9th May 2006, 02:44
Ahhh..
So that's what you did when it pissed down! I was wondering about that while we were walking back.. Kiri had an umbrella but I had banked on the fine spring weather and subsequently lost the bet...
Thanks Russ!

Finny
9th May 2006, 03:09
Russ,

The 'Owari Kan Ryu Naginata' clip is labelled as 'Shinto Ryu'. Mr. Skoss mentioned in an email that the Owari Kan Ryu guys practise some form of Shinto Ryu, but that clip looks (to my uneducated eye) a lot like enpi no tachi performed with naginata, which I know Mr. Armstrong mentioned is a characteristic of the Hikida Shinkage Ryu (practising the kata with various weapons or mismatched weapons).

So - I was just wondering if you're sure it's Shinto Ryu, and if it is, can you tell us anything more about the Shinto Ryu the Owari Kan Ryu groups practises?

Thanks again for the great clips.

Mekugi
9th May 2006, 07:44
Russ,

The 'Owari Kan Ryu Naginata' clip is labelled as 'Shinto Ryu'. Mr. Skoss mentioned in an email that the Owari Kan Ryu guys practise some form of Shinto Ryu, but that clip looks (to my uneducated eye) a lot like enpi no tachi performed with naginata, which I know Mr. Armstrong mentioned is a characteristic of the Hikida Shinkage Ryu (practising the kata with various weapons or mismatched weapons).

So - I was just wondering if you're sure it's Shinto Ryu, and if it is, can you tell us anything more about the Shinto Ryu the Owari Kan Ryu groups practises?

Thanks again for the great clips.

The announcement said that the Naginata came from Shinto ryu....something, something. That's as much as I know.

Mekugi
9th May 2006, 08:10
Incidentally,

If anyone has a problem with these videos being up (namely, ryuha members) then please tell me here or in email, and I will remove them no questions asked.

I don't want to step on feet, sell anything, make people mad or start any type of problems. I thought it would be nice to share some of what I see over here from time to time.

Recapitulation:
If there are people within the above ryu that think I should take the online streaming videos down, please, please tell me and POOF they are gone.

-Russ

Mekugi
9th May 2006, 08:26
Ahhh..
So that's what you did when it pissed down! I was wondering about that while we were walking back.. Kiri had an umbrella but I had banked on the fine spring weather and subsequently lost the bet...
Thanks Russ!
Ahh yes, it was an embu "behind closed doors." :p Incidentally, please tell your lovely wife that my betrothed has just spent a buttload of money at the Ikea website she told us about.....umm...thanks. I think.

fifthchamber
9th May 2006, 11:02
Really? Mine is waiting until she gets paid.. I flat out said no.. Hehe.. No that that would stop her.. I apologise.. Profusely. Nothing Swedish is that good.. But then, I like looking at men in skirts hit other men with sticks.. And that sounds entirely Swedish..
Wait.. Sorry.. There was a thread here..
great films!
Regards.

Fred27
9th May 2006, 11:25
Found a Isshin-ryu Kusarigamajutsu clip too.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm9FI5ppsyM

And a Shinto Muso-ryu clip from the same user and group http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpVkgQoeU4

kenkyusha
9th May 2006, 23:23
Nothing Swedish is that good..
Oh, my dear man, haven't you learned the power of Gunther (http://www.gunthernet.com). Sweden offers you Champagne, glamour, sex and respect... please, think about the children!

Be well,
Jigme

Steve Delaney
10th May 2006, 07:10

Best,
Ron

Heh heh, Russ and I thought the same thing.

Actually that wasn't Takeda-ryu Aiki No Jutsu. It was Daiwado jujutsu, the system that Sato Kinbei formulated before he passed away. It contains a mix of techniques from all over the place. There are little bits of Daito-ryu, Tenjin Shinyo-ryu, Araki Shin-ryu, Yagyu Shingan-ryu etc, in the mix.

Fred27
10th May 2006, 07:31
Oh, my dear man, haven't you learned the power of Gunther (http://www.gunthernet.com). Sweden offers you Champagne, glamour, sex and respect... please, think about the children!

Be well,
Jigme

My country provides all that? I should get out more :rolleyes: :p

Steve Delaney
10th May 2006, 07:44
Really? Mine is waiting until she gets paid.. I flat out said no.. Hehe.. No that that would stop her.. I apologise.. Profusely. Nothing Swedish is that good.. But then, I like looking at men in skirts hit other men with sticks.. And that sounds entirely Swedish..
Wait.. Sorry.. There was a thread here..
great films!
Regards.

Oi, remember what Meik advised you; "Yes dear!" ;)

Mekugi
10th May 2006, 07:53
ALSO:

The Jigen Ryu clips- that is a Nagabokuto, not a Spear as I originally posted in there. Silly me!

-R

Mekugi
10th May 2006, 10:41
ALSO:

The Jigen Ryu clips- that is a Nagabokuto, not a Spear as I originally posted in there. Silly me!

-R
Recanted again, that is a spear. The kata name is Yaridome "鑓留め".

ZealUK
10th May 2006, 12:33
I believe the weapon is called a nagabokuto.

As far as I know the nagabokuto can represent yari or naginata depending on the kata.

Mekugi
10th May 2006, 15:47
I believe the weapon is called a nagabokuto.

As far as I know the nagabokuto can represent yari or naginata depending on the kata.

Yeah it says that the sword can be used like a spear in the embu pamphlet, but it is supposed to be a spear in this case.

mheiler
10th May 2006, 17:08
Owari kan Ryu

The first one is definetely Sangakuen and the second one is definitely Soraito Hasseiho from (Yagyu) Shinkage-ryu. Although it is my understanding that a branch of Shinkage-ryu has been subsumed by, or is being taught collaterally with, Owari Kan-ryu. They are slightly different from what I've seen performed by mainline Shinkage-ryu.

Mike

mheiler
11th May 2006, 00:11
Owari kan Ryu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsfNuzJYBng

..., and although I've never seen it performed before, the third one sure looks like it would be (Yagyu) Shinkage-ryu Sangakuen performed with odachi. Again, I don't know what branch it would be.

Mike

Steve Delaney
11th May 2006, 03:31
That would be Aisu Kage-ryu (In other texts, it's referred to as Hikita Kage-ryu).

Mekugi
11th May 2006, 15:34
If anyone wants to sign on to YouTube and post comments / observations / misc. (nice ones...lets be nice huh!) or stuff like that, please do.

Vile
12th May 2006, 10:52
That would be Aisu Kage-ryu (In other texts, it's referred to as Hikita Kage-ryu).

According to the BRDJ, in the section about Hikita Kage ryû, in "Yagyû hisho" Hikita Toyogorô (the founder of HKr) is noted as Yagyû Muneyoshi's half-brother. I've understood that according to the Owari Kan ryû tradition Hikita Toyogorô was the student of the famous Kamiizumi Nobutsuna (Hidetsuna), founder of Shinkage ryû. One of the most influental of Kamiizumi's teacher's was Aisu Ikôsai (or his son according to some sources), the founder of the (Aisu) Kage ryû.

However, the BRDJ also notices that Akitaka Tatemoto's (don't ask me who that is..) "Kenjutsu Keizu" ("Kenjutsu Family Tree") lists Toyogorô as the student of Yagyû Muneyoshi, not as student of Kamiizumi.

In his article (http://www.koryu.com/library/harmstrong1.html) at koryu.com (http://www.koryu.com) Hunter B. Armstrong notes that: "The Owari Kan Ryu, though primarily a spear tradition, also contains elements of Shinkage Ryu swordsmanship. As the Owari Kan Ryu was located in the same province as one of the main branches of the Yagyu sword tradition, it "borrowed" some of the Yagyu Shinkage Ryu sword arts."

What ever are the details of the inheritance, it is no wonder that one can see some very obvious (Owari Yagyû) Shinkage ryû influences :)

Finny
12th May 2006, 14:30
Mikko,

The Owari Kan Ryu group, AFAIK, does both Yagyu Shinkage Ryu and Hikida Kage Ryu.

Kato Sensei's teacher was apparently a student of both Yagyu Toshinaga and Yagyu Toshichika (Yagyu Nobuharu's father and grandfather), as well as having a different Hikida Kage Ryu teacher.

So the Owari Kan Ryu guys do Owari Kan Ryu sojutsu (as well as the kata from other sojutsu ryuha that OKR has subsumed), Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, Hikida Kage Ryu, and 'Shinto Ryu'.

Vile
12th May 2006, 17:14
Brendan,

OK, that clears up things even more. Thank you for your reply.

mheiler
12th May 2006, 21:19
Mikko,

The Owari Kan Ryu group, AFAIK, does both Yagyu Shinkage Ryu and Hikida Kage Ryu.

Kato Sensei's teacher was apparently a student of both Yagyu Toshinaga and Yagyu Toshichika (Yagyu Nobuharu's father and grandfather), as well as having a different Hikida Kage Ryu teacher.

So the Owari Kan Ryu guys do Owari Kan Ryu sojutsu (as well as the kata from other sojutsu ryuha that OKR has subsumed), Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, Hikida Kage Ryu, and 'Shinto Ryu'.

Ah, that makes more sense, because, as I understand it, Soraito Hasseiho (the second video I reference) was an Edo period construct of Yagyu Shinkage-ryu, so it did not make sense that it would be a Hikida Kage-ryu.

Mike

Mekugi
12th May 2006, 23:38
Re: the Kudyari

If memory serves, on the Kobudo Hozonban video the shihan talks about the Shinkage Ryu swordsmanship being the root of the spearmanship- or based on the strategy behind the sword.

Alex Dale
13th May 2006, 06:06
Fellas,

From my understanding and limited interaction with Mr. Armstrong, I understand it like this:

The Hikita Shinkage-ryu, as passed down by the founder, was more akin to the old "Shinkage-ryu" in the sense that it preserved more of the teachings of Kamiizumi, at least in terms of weapons. Yagyu Muneyoshi for whatever reason only passed down (or learned) the kenjutsu.

Many years later (I'm guessing sometime in the 1800's?), the Yagyu Shinkage-ryu and the Hikita Shinkage-ryu people "linked" and I guess the lines were merged, or something like that. It gets really cloudy for me, I'm sure someone could do a much better job at explaining. However, soon after all of this, the other weapons were again lost in the Yagyu transmission, while the Hikita Shinkage-ryu folks maintained everything.

So, as I understand it, the Owari Kan-ryu / Hikita Shinkage-ryu as practiced in the dojo of Kato Isao sensei maintains the sojutsu of the Owari Kan-ryu, as well as all the teachings of the Hikita Shinkage-ryu, which itself contains different versions of all its kata. For example, I believe they have 3 different versions of one of the most fundamental Shinkage-ryu kata, "sangaku en no tachi"; an "old" (koden) version, an Edo Yagyu version, and a Bishu Yagyu version, all a bit different. And as someone said earlier, I believe they perform some (maybe all?) of their kata with different weapons. "One mind, any weapon."

I don't have access to any of my note right now so all of this is purely from memory so if I'm glaringly wrong please tell me and I'll gladly take this post down.

Otherwise, I hope that helps.

ZealUK
11th January 2007, 06:20
It's in Kumamoto this year...

http://www.nipponbudokan.or.jp/shinkou/html_1/30.html

Anyone going?

I may well be there to watch, unless the wife is giving birth.

DDATFUS
11th January 2007, 07:06
And if any of y'all are going, please, please, please take lots of pictures and videos-- those of us who are an ocean away will greatly appreciate it.

12th January 2007, 13:39
To far away from Tokyo...
maybe next time ;)

Regards,

Michael Reinhardt

Ong Han Beng
25th January 2007, 05:59
yea, Kumamoto is another country ;)

Is this the 1st time they moved the taikai away from Tokyo?
Last few years has been held at the Nippon Budokan.

Yes, more video footage pls.

Ron Beaubien
25th January 2007, 06:25
Hello,

Anyone going?
Yes, I'll be going. I plan to fly down there on Saturday morning and see some of the sights. I last saw Kumamoto Castle, Musashizuka, and Reigando more than 10 years ago.

Is this the 1st time they moved the taikai away from Tokyo? Last few years has been held at the Nippon Budokan.
No, every few years or so, the demonstration is held at a location other than the Nippon Budokan. Two years ago, it was held in Himeji. It was also held in Sagamihara (Kanagawa) a few years before that.

I may well be there to watch, unless the wife is giving birth.
That is exactly what happened to me last year. I was scheduled to demonstrate, had my weapons and camera packed, and just as I was walking out the door my wife went into labor!

Still, watching my son being born was the most moving experience I have ever had. It is a moment I will cherish always. There will always be other demonstrations.

Regards,

Ron Beaubien

Ong Han Beng
25th January 2007, 06:44
I've not been that area before. Would love to visit Reigando. I think i'll go surf ANA now... :)

ZealUK
25th January 2007, 08:45
Looks like there's some quite unusual ryuha demonstrating this time, so I really want to go. Taisha Ryu, Noda-ha Niten Ichi Ryu, Jigen Ryu (Kumamoto's one - 寺見流 ) and Unko Ryu (!) will be good to see.

Got to see closer to the time. Its around an hour by shinkansen so certainly feasible.

Would be nice to meet those E-Budo people attending :D

Ong Han Beng
25th January 2007, 08:53
i wonder how long it will take by shinkansen from Tokyo. any idea?

Ron Beaubien
25th January 2007, 09:12
Hello,

i wonder how long it will take by shinkansen from Tokyo. any idea?
You would have to change from a Shinkansen to a special express train at Hakata. The entire trip would also take at least 7 hours one way.

I think most people from the Tokyo area will be flying down there.

Regards,

Ron Beaubien

Ong Han Beng
25th January 2007, 09:15
Hello,

You would have to change from a Shinkansen to a special express train at Hakata. The entire trip would also take at least 7 hours one way.

I think most people from the Tokyo area will be flying down there.

Regards,

Ron Beaubien

Thanks Ron.

Ron Beaubien
25th January 2007, 12:28
Hello,

Looks like there's some quite unusual ryuha demonstrating this time, so I really want to go. Taisha Ryu, Noda-ha Niten Ichi Ryu, Jigen Ryu (Kumamoto's one - Ž›Œ©—¬ ) and Unko Ryu (!) will be good to see.
Yes, it should be quite a good demonstration to attend. I am also interested in all of the schools you mentioned. I have been to quite a few demonstrations over the last ten years and I have never seen any of those schools demonstrate in Tokyo.

I saw Unko-ryu when they demonstrated as part of the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai for the fist time two years ago in Himeji, but I would like to see them again.

In addition to your list, I am also intested in seeing what kind of techniques the Higo Shinkage-ryu has as well.

Regards,

Ron Beaubien

25th January 2007, 22:36
Hello,

oh yes, nice ryuha demonstrating there.
I have a short questions: I read that during the golden week should be an enbu in Kyoto. Does somebody have some informations about that?

Best,

Michael Reinhardt

Ong Han Beng
26th January 2007, 01:23
Its Owari kan-ryu soujutsu and Higo Koryu for me. :)

DDATFUS
26th January 2007, 03:13
Its Owari kan-ryu soujutsu and Higo Koryu for me. :)

Pictures! For the love of sweet mercy, take pictures!

Vile
24th April 2007, 18:07
Here's a few shots I took at the Asakusa Riverside Sports Center last Saturday.

Btw. could someone verify the name of the school, which I have labelled as Sosuishitsu ryu?

http://picasaweb.google.com/mvilenius/

bushikan
24th April 2007, 19:58
Here's a few shots I took at the Asakusa Riverside Sports Center last Saturday. Btw. could someone verify the name of the school, which I have labelled as Sosuishitsu ryu?

Your correct that is Sosuishitsu Ryu. You also took pictures of Ogawa sensei and some of my sempai(s) from the Yushinkan. Im in America right now and will be returning to Japan in a few weeks. Its nice to see Ogawa sensei and my training partners again if only in a photo.

My thanks

Steve Delaney
25th April 2007, 06:13
Here's a few shots I took at the Asakusa Riverside Sports Center last Saturday.

Btw. could someone verify the name of the school, which I have labelled as Sosuishitsu ryu?

http://picasaweb.google.com/mvilenius/

Yes, that's the Sosuishi-ryu Kosonkai (双水執流光尊会 ) led by Ito Manabu S.

And it's Iga Ryuha Katsushin-ryu, not Kasshin-ryu.

Hope this helps.

Vile
25th April 2007, 08:56
Jeffrey and Steve,

Thanks for the clarification.

25th April 2007, 13:29
It was a nice enbu, I enjoyed it.
Nice photos, will be saved :)

Regards,

DDATFUS
25th April 2007, 18:42
Great pictures, Mikko. Thanks for sharing.

Ree
26th April 2007, 09:38
Mikko Vilenius

No pic's of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu?

I was hoping to see my good side :)

Regards
Lee Masters

Vile
26th April 2007, 11:28
Mikko Vilenius

No pic's of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu?

I was hoping to see my good side :)

Regards
Lee Masters

Sadly I had to leave around 13:15 for my own training :) I believe Tenjin Shin'yo ryu was after that..

Ree
26th April 2007, 13:23
Yes we went on at 13:30,good pics.

Ree
6th July 2007, 10:31
Hi all

Just posted video on myspace site:
www.myspace.com/tenyokaiuk

Hope you enjoy.

Those who don't know me I'm the one being beaten up :) .

Benkei the Monk
7th July 2007, 14:17
Thanks a lot, Vile. They are great shots. Thanks for sharing :)

Fred27
7th July 2007, 16:21
Say Vile..What are these guys doing?

http://lh5.google.com/mvilenius/RnjVh1lxuhI/AAAAAAAAAkE/j7sP5o9NV8I/IMG_7062.jpg?imgmax=512

http://lh4.google.com/mvilenius/RnjVhllxugI/AAAAAAAAAj8/uzJQTn4Hovs/IMG_7055.jpg?imgmax=512

There must be a very interesting story behind this :D

(from Viles photo-album, "Japan 2006" gallery next to "Kobudo Taikai (C) M Vilenius" gallery.)

DDATFUS
7th July 2007, 23:13
Say Vile..What are these guys doing?

I don't know what that is, but it may well be the scariest thing that I've ever seen. I will have nightmares for weeks. If that is a martial art, it must be truly devestating.

Vile
9th July 2007, 07:10
I think that must be the Oroka ryu 愚流 (BRDJ, 武芸流派大根辞典, pp. 458) performing their ninjutsu like techniques. The techniques were developed during Edo period to sneak into the freakiest parts of the Yoshiwara pleasure quarters to assassin badly drunken samurai that were late with their enormous sake and prostitute depts.

Those are just some performers from "Tokyo Circus" at the Yoyogi park. You can also see some serious martial arts at Yoyogi. Usually one guy with chrome coated bamboo blade easily winning over several opponents, while stopping to anime-cool kamaes between each opponent and performing several 360 degree spins. Hope you'll enjoy the other pictures aswell :)

Fred27
9th July 2007, 08:51
I think that must be the Oroka ryu 愚流 (BRDJ, 武芸流派大根辞典, pp. 458) performing their ninjutsu like techniques. The techniques were developed during Edo period to sneak into the freakiest parts of the Yoshiwara pleasure quarters to assassin badly drunken samurai that were late with their enormous sake and prostitute depts.
:p :p :p Sneaksy assassains in bunny ears! :D

Hope you'll enjoy the other pictures aswell :)

Yeh the photos are great! All of em. Keep em coming :).

Stefffen
9th July 2007, 15:43
Interesting and nice photos.
Thanks

Vile
10th June 2008, 18:05
Some shots from the last enbu (http://picasaweb.google.com/mvilenius/KashimaJinguHonoEnbu2008CMikkoVilenius) at Kashima-Jingū.

Nothing too special, but please note the copyright. If you want to use them on some other web page, publication, etc, please be kind enough to contact me.

K. Fredheim
10th June 2008, 22:08
Beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing.

DDATFUS
11th June 2008, 05:48
Those are excellent pictures, Mikko. Thanks for sharing them.

Stefffen
11th June 2008, 07:23
Nice photos. Thanks.

Benkei the Monk
11th June 2008, 09:55
Thanks a lot.Your shots are always great. I love them

allan
12th June 2008, 20:23
Nice shots.

Vile
13th June 2008, 00:57
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments!

Eric Spinelli
28th September 2009, 09:59
Ladies and gents,

I have a ticket to the upcoming Nippon Budo Festival (details below) that admits two people. My girlfriend is being fickle and it would be a shame to have the second person admission go to waste. If anybody would like to join me, please send me a PM. There is a chance more tickets/spots are available, but as they are not in my possession, I don't know for sure.

『天皇陛下御即位二十年奉祝』(日本武道館開館四十五周年記念事業)「日本武道祭」
Nippon Budokan, Tokyo, Japan
Oct. 10, 2009
1pm - 4:15pm

The following arts or schools (among others) will be performing:
Kyudo
Aikido
Karate
Sumo
Judo
Katori Shinto Ryu (kenjutsu)
Takenouchi Ryu (jujutsu)
X ryu houjutsu (I forgot which ryu)

Cheers,
-Eric

Eric Spinelli
5th October 2009, 16:38
I got my hands on more tickets, so if anybody else would like to join, please contact me. As of now there are three of us going and three more can come.

Here is the complete listing of presenters in order of presentation:

第一部:
1)弓道
2)柔道
3)香取神道流剣術
4)相撲
5)銃剣術
6)合気道

第二部:
7)剣道
8)少林寺拳法
9)竹内流柔術
10)なぎなた
11)空手道
12)陽流砲術

Eric Spinelli
13th October 2009, 17:43
I've put a number of videos from this event on my YouTube page (http://www.youtube.com/user/ericspinelli). The three koryu (Katori Shinto Ryu, Takenouchi Ryu, Yo Ryu) are all up as well as a few of the gendai videos. Enjoy.

Hurles
15th October 2009, 12:03
Thanks for posting the vids, was there too but didn't have the camera unfortunately.

Fred27
12th February 2010, 15:19
YouTube user Kenzenjapan (http://www.youtube.com/user/kenzenjapan) posted a video featuring snippets from the 33rd Japan Kobudo Demonstration at the Budokan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsQTgIavkVs

BTW, what ryu is represented at 02.49 onwards? The all female-troop.

tsunamiflood
12th February 2010, 17:04
definately Tendo Ryu
primarily known for Naginata-jutsu, but lots of other elements including paired Kodachi
very distinctive footwork too in the naginata/sword paired forms - the retreat and advance before engagement

Fred27
12th February 2010, 22:50
definately Tendo Ryu
primarily known for Naginata-jutsu, but lots of other elements including paired Kodachi
very distinctive footwork too in the naginata/sword paired forms - the retreat and advance before engagement

So thats Tendo-ryu. First time I've seen it.
Thanks for the info. :)

Andartar
22nd March 2010, 05:15
Hi!
I'm living in Japan at the moment, Kyoto to be precise, and I'd like to watch some genuine koryu while I'm here. I know that there are festivals at which koryu is shown but how do I find out when and where? I'd really appreciate some pointers.

Rennis
22nd March 2010, 07:51
May is the big month in Kyoto. Last I heard the dates for this year are something like...

- May 2nd at the Butokuden has koryu in the morning followed by hours and hours of iai demonstrations

- The 4th at Shimogamo Shrine. This one is koryu focused. There are two "stages" where embu are running concurrently, so sometimes you have to pick and choose which ryu you want to watch.

- The 5th at Shiramine Shrine, which has many people from the day before. I believe in the morning there is also bunch of gendai budo demonstrations before the koryu embu. Good chance to see some things you missed the day before.

For what it is worth,

Josh Reyer
22nd March 2010, 09:51
There's a big one coming up in mid-April in Asakusa, Tokyo, but I don't know the date or venue yet.

Ron Beaubien
22nd March 2010, 10:44
There's a big one coming up in mid-April in Asakusa, Tokyo, but I don't know the date or venue yet.

The Asakusa demonstration is not so big, in my humble opinion. It is held in a medium sized tatami dojo and although there is enough space to have two groups demonstrate at once, there is very little room for spectators unfortunately. The demostration this year will take place at the Riverside Sports Center on April 17th from 11 to 2:30.

As for our group, Asakusa is one of the places newer people would normally get to demonstrate at, as opposed to the Nippon Budokan, where everyone demonstrating is supposed to be chuden (or its equivalent) or above.

The best thing about the Asakusa demonstration is that for the last 10 years or so there has been a special demonstration by one of the koryu school that lasts almost 30 minutes, complete with a lecture. It gives people a chance to see a deeper level of one school than at most of the other group demonstrations.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Ron Beaubien

Cliff Judge
31st March 2010, 14:22
Does anything awesome happen in the October timeframe in the Kanto area?

Josh Reyer
31st March 2010, 19:44
Does anything awesome happen in the October timeframe in the Kanto area?
Not quite Kanto, but there is a kobudo embukai at Atsuta Jingu in Nagoya in early October.

poryu
3rd April 2010, 08:08
HI

is there anything happening in July.

Steve Delaney
3rd April 2010, 16:32
Not usually, it's just too damn hot. :)

Jeremy Hulley
5th April 2010, 05:30
We'll be in Miyajima the first weekend of June for a demo on the 6th. We are not koryu but I'm sure there will be koryu there.

Andartar
14th April 2010, 13:25
Thanks for the suggestions I'll be sure to check this out!

ryoma
24th May 2011, 14:49
I will be staying in Japan from July 10 until July 29.
Mainly Kanto but with trips to Kansai. In the last week I will probably stay a couple of days in Shikoku for training purposes.

Does anyone know if there are any public exihibitions covering koryu in either Kanto-, Kansai-Area or even Shikoku (which I doubt) in the month of July?

I have checked the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai website but there is no calendar with upcoming events. Just past events are listed.... :p

Yeah, it's summer I know. Most of this stuff takes place either in spring or autumn, but tell this our sons school...

Your help is much appreciated.

Cliff Judge
24th May 2011, 15:27
You know what would be good to have around here, is a sticky post that lists the usual annual events.

Jonesy
30th May 2011, 19:46
You could try contacting the Kyoto Budo Centre or the Nippon Budokan in Tokyo to see if there is anything there.

durandal
2nd June 2011, 15:19
I have the opportunity to stay in Japan for 3 month, i hope i'll be able to watch something too :D