PDA

View Full Version : A question about oiling boken

Oliver Ryan
5th March 2001, 21:44
I have a white oak boken (bought at Kyota) that I have been treating with linseed oil. Recently it has become tacky to the touch. What can I do about that?

Also, what grit sandpaper would you recommend to remove the finish (I suspect I may not have gotten it all off the first time)?

Evan London
5th March 2001, 21:59
Instruction # 1: Don't use linseed oil. :-)

Remove the finish with 100 grit sand paper dry. Then work through 200, 300 and finally to 400 grit, all by wet sanding. That means lightly wetting the weapon with a small amount of water, let stand for 15 minutes then lightly sanding it. The water will raise the grain for a better finish. The 400 grit will get you to an almost mirror polish. Then treat with straight mineral oil by putting an light coat completely over the weapon, let it sit for 2-3 hours and repeat until the oil is no longer absorbed. You can get mineral oil in any drug store as an oral laxitive.

I'm sure others have a different method.
Good luck,
Ev

Oliver Ryan
6th March 2001, 17:53
Yes, there are many methods as we saw at the original board a while back on the subject of bo making. The menthod you described was one of them I beleive. There was some debate as to wether to use linseed or mineral oil or perhaps something else. I think all the methods are valid, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try the wet sanding method you mentioned.

Ganbatte