PDA

View Full Version : Shinto in Shirasaya

Blackthorne
6th March 2001, 04:53
I am a beginner and I have four questions. But first some background information. I currently have a rather inexpensive iaito (one with bad tsuka with plastic same and nylon glued-on wrap). I would like to purchase a new sword and my sensei says that I should buy a shuriken instead of an iaito. He is also a professional tsuka-maki(ist?) and says he could help me put on new fittings instead of spending the extra money on fittings.

1. Does anyone have any knowledge of either the swordarmory.com or the 888knivesrus.com businesses? I am interested in the shinto katana is shirasaya by Paul Chen and the only places I can find it are there.

2. Does anyone out there has information on other places I could find the shinto katana in shirasaya by Paul Chen?

3. Could anyone post a review of the blade in question? I am interested in using it for some kata practice and perhaps some light test cutting.

4. I know that CAS Iberia is coming out with Paul Chen's Tiger katana blade in shirasaya (from their web page) and they say that this blade is folded and forged, unlike the shinto, which is just forged. What is the difference between the two types of blades and is it worth it to spend the (assumed) extra money for the Tiger in shirasaya?

Thanks ahead of time,
Philip Hafferty