PDA

View Full Version : Tokonma

richie
6th March 2001, 17:02
A friend of mine asked me to help him with the decor of his Dojo.
Any advice on building a proper Tokonam. He wants to keep it
simple but nice. Thank you in advance for any help, I did not
wish to offer him help until I had the chance to consult people
from e-budo that may have a few tips.

Richard Rivera

richie
6th March 2001, 17:03
Tokonoma, sorry. My fingers went retarded for a moment.

Richard

Nathan Scott
6th March 2001, 18:22
http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/operatic/294/uchiko03.jpg

Hello,

I'm not the best person to answer this question, but perhaps I can offer a few things to consider.

In a house, a tokonoma (alcove) will often have hanging calligraphy (kakejiku) on its back wall, center. Some tokonoma will typically place a vase with flowers or branches that are indicative of the season. Sometimes a small family shrine may be placed here, or some family heirloom instead. Placement in the home seems to be dictated primarily by Feng Sui (a kind of Chinese "interior design" criteria), and examples of these kinds of tokonoma are presented in just about every book on Japanese country homes you may come across in larger book stores.

As far as the tokonoma in a dojo, it is very difficult to say conclusively without knowing more about the layout of the dojo (and any physical restrictions) and the type of tokonoma desired (purely decorational or one associated with "religious" rites).

If it is purely decorational, then Feng Sui would probably be the biggest consideration.

However, if a shrine is to be placed there, or a kakejiku from the Ise grand shrine in it's place (written and blessed by a priest and containing kanji referring to "Amaterasu Omikami"), then it becomes quite complicated. I believe the term "Shinrihen" refers to the installation of shrines.

I'd encourage you to not install a shrine of kakejiku from Ise shrine unless it's presense is either a part of his tradition, or you carefully research it. Some people try to put one up by mocking what they see in photographs, but there is in fact many factors that should be considered before attempting to have a shrine installed in a dojo.

I am aware of at least many of them, but I hesitate to post more specific information for fear of overlooking something or risking misinterpretation of the information.

If a shrine is something your friend really wants in his tokonoma, the best thing to do by far would be to find out how his tradition incorporates dojo shinzen, AND, to seek the aid of a Shinto Priest, who should be involved in it's installation and blessing anyway. Shrines should not be installed as a form of decoration.

Good luck!

ghp
9th March 2001, 00:31
Richie,

Nathan has provided some good information. One thing I'd like to point out is that if it is in fact a "tokonoma" you desire, you need a post.

Yup, you heard me, a post. Look at the picture that Nathan provided -- note the prominent post? That is a "Toko" and it is installed in the toko's [no] space/area [ma].

Tokonoma range from the very simple to the extremely complex-- the post is prime wood selected for its rarity or beauty.

The platform-like area needn't be tall, either, I've seen some that are 2-3" tall, with a shelf on one side and room for a hanging scroll along the back wall, with a flower arrangement on the platform.
http://www.jmission-eu.be/whatnew/pictoko.htm

Try this link -- graphics only, no photos
http://www.teahyakka.com/tokonomaE.html

Regards,
Guy

Carl Long
9th March 2001, 03:41
Hi Guys,

Actually, I believe that "Tokonoma" originally meant "Bed-place." According to accounts in the Kojiki, it was the area that was originally used as a sleeping quarters in ancient Japan when houses were not nearly as warm and spacious as they are today. The Tokonoma was a protected Bedchamber where the commoner would sleep on the tatami (tatami were at a premium back then). As time went forward and space was more affordable the sleeping area moved further out into the room. At this later date, the area known as the tokonoma became smaller and was used for storing important family items. It eventually came to be used for the focal point of the room.

The Toko-bashira or middle post was originally the first post that was used to build the house. The post was usually left in it's most natural state to remind the home owner that all of the materials used in the home were a gift from nature. The timbers that extend outward from the tokonoma would usually become more refined and planed to better suite their utilitarian function. And once again remind the occupant that even the planed wood comes from the natural state and a gift from the environment. As the architecture became further refined the appreciation of sabi-wabi dictated that the toko-bashira become the focal point of the tokonoma. So the post that was originally the most rustic became ornamentation and a mark of refinement. Within the tokonoma, the flower arrangement should remind the onlooker that all things are temporary and transient (no artificial flowers here). The artwork represents the changing seasons and the architecture the gifts of nature.

The tokonoma was usually accompanied by a smaller alcove known as a chigaidana or little shelf area. The combinations are limitless and the rules for the construction of them are relentless. But as is everything else in the Japanese culture, being able to be creative within the boundaries of conformity was considered refined and the mark of a true artisan. The discussion of Japanese tokonoma architecture can take up volumes as has been stated above by the other gentlemen. Have fun exploring what is right for your friends dojo and remember that the tokonoma should reflect the tastes and the station of the man who occupies the building. All the best...

Carl Long

ghp
9th March 2001, 04:46
Carl,

Thanks for that nice addition. The tokonoma hashira (shortened to toko-bashira) is indeed now the cultivated center of attention. I've seen these special tokobashira before, and thought they were natural. Look what I found: http://www.amsnet.co.jp/user/john/sugi/sugiYuji.htm

http://www.amsnet.co.jp/user/john/sugi/gif/sugi02.gif
I had no idea that although "natural," they are manipulated by man into the shape.

I wasn't aware of all the other information you provided -- you apparently have done your homework! I do know that -- as you said -- tatami were rare for commoners until quite recently, historically speaking. From what I've heard, only the well-to-do samurai and aristocrats used tatami ... and the tatami were only in a few areas used for sitting. Not like today where an entire house might have tatami all over.

Great post.

Regards,
Guy

[Change 1. Period removed from html address per Devon Smith]

Nathan Scott
9th March 2001, 16:20
Thanks for the interesting info Mr. Long. I haven't had time to get through the kojiki yet.

By the way, I sent you a letter by snail mail in response to the notice sent to me regarding the new AAU division. It was sent to the address listed for your dojo.

A reply is not necessary, but I was curious if you received it? If not, I can re-send it to another address.

Regards,

Devon Smith
9th March 2001, 16:39
Just a quick interjection...to see the link posted by Guy, remove the period at the end:

http://www.amsnet.co.jp/user/john/sugi/sugiYuji.htm

Interesting thread!

Devon

ghp
9th March 2001, 17:45
Devon,

Thanks for pointing out the period and providing the proper link. I've since updated my original post.

Regards,
Guy