PDA

View Full Version : Requesting a personal mentor for a school project, Please Read

GaryH
7th March 2001, 10:22
Hello forum members :)

I am posting as the topic says to request a mentor.
My school is doing a senior project, in which we choose an area of interest and do more than just learn about it, we get in depth hands-on work in it. I chose to delve into JSAs admittedly influenced by the RK Japanese manga. I started taking Shinkendo lessons a few months back and I have found it extremely fun and enjoyable overall, even though I will never be able to do a Ryu-Tsui-sen. :D

But seriously, this project requires a real life person that is experienced in the subject I am studying, and since there is no one at my school with JSA experience, I need to seek out a mentor in the online JSA world.

Mentors would be a person wiling to help me with any questions I might have concerning the arts, and sword etiquette by e-mail. I already asked my teacher if I could just use he online forums, but she denied that saying I need one person that she can contact on the phone. The required information that I will need about the mentor is: "Project Mentor, Mentor Work Title, Mentor Company Name, Mentor Address, City, State, Zip Code, Mentor Phone Number 1, Mentor Phone Number 2" Only if applicable of course. If you feel weird about giving out information to some guy on the internet, I can have my teacher call you on the phone or something like that.

If you are interested and have the time, please do post or send me an email at thatguy@repairman.com .

I am in La Crescenta, CA. 91214 and as I said, I'm studying in Shinkendo, so I won't need someone to actually teach me a sword art, just answer questions about them. The teacher has also mentioned it would be *nice* if the mentor came to the presentation when it is made. (On a Saturday at school)

Well, I've talked enough. :D
Thank you for your time everyone,

--Gary Hill

ghp
8th March 2001, 02:31
So Gary,

Allow me to ask a stupid question ....

Why -- since you are studying Shinkendo -- do you not get a senpai from your dojo? This sounds like a perfect "senpai" type of job. And why not ask your sensei?

I'm sure your sensei would want to be your mentor -- after all, that's what sensei are ... "mentors."

You definitely should give your sensei or senpai first option.

Regards,
Guy

GaryH
8th March 2001, 14:09
Ah, thank you for the suggestion Mr. Power.

I am looking into that, but I would also wanted to get this post up just in case no one does.

And as for Sensei, I have this itching feeling Sensei Obata is a busy man who I shouldn't bother about doing something like this... but I very well could be wrong, so I'm asking Nathan-san about it.

--Gary

Nathan Scott
8th March 2001, 17:58
Gary and I have talked about the idea, but after some thought I had to decline, unfortunately.

I feel bad about not offering assistance, but I am becoming increasingly busy at work, and my duties in both Federations, the Honbu dojo, my own dojo and the other places I occasionally train have become somewhat overwhelming. At this point, I'm trying to find ways to delegate duties elsewhere, and get some room to get caught up on things, like the 178 emails that are still waiting for replies.

If I did volunteer, I'm afraid I might not be able to give the amount of attention required to really be of assistance (keep up with questions, replies and any possible research).

I can still squeak through occaisonal posts on the net on topics that I have info up in me head, but that's about it (I think my boss would prefer to see less non-work related three ring binders on my desk!).

Sorry Gary - anyone else have some time?

ghp
8th March 2001, 20:46
Nathan,

I think my boss would prefer to see less non-work related three ring binders on my desk!

I just now removed all mine from my desk!!!!! <phew!> So it's not just me???

Gary,

There should be some senpai around the dojo to help. Ask them in person, not on the internet.

Good luck,
Guy

GaryH
9th March 2001, 02:19
Oop, Sorry I guess I worded that weird =(

I meant I was asking Nathan about whether it would be "rude" (can't think of a better word right now) to ask Sensei to be my mentor. I had asked Nathan about it a while ago, sorry for that ocnfusion.

--Gary

Oh BTW, how do you like my little Rurouni Kenshin avatar? =) That right there is the face that started all those "sakabatou" topics Nathan ;)