PDA

View Full Version : We need instruction on the Central Coast, CA

Mike Shook
7th March 2001, 19:53
Hello All,
I have on several occasions asked on this forum as well as on others about Iai and Kendo dojos on the Central Coast of CA. As many times as I’ve asked the answer is still the same “You’re out of luck”. Since my move to this part of the country I have been reduced to a book and video practitioner, and we all know everyone’s opinion on that. The closest qualified instruction is at best two and a half hours away at highway speed. This is a plea to someone to open ANY sword art dojo in, near or around San Luis Obispo (or Santa Maria). There are several large collage campuses here full of people to teach or profit from, depending on your motivations for teaching. In my efforts to find a place to study I have run into others on the same search. Wanting to lean but unable or unwilling to take the two hour drive. Enough to have quite a respectable sized class. There is a good choice of civic centers, halls, collage gyms, and etc. That would be more than happy to rent out a night or two a week to us. So if you were thinking of opening a new dojo or expanding your existing business. I would ask that you please conciter the Central Coast of CA. We need you.
Thank you for you time
Mike Shook

Dave Wilson
7th March 2001, 20:46
Hi Mike,

First off I would like to wish you good luck in your search for an instructor.

You mentioned meeting like-minded people and the availability of several venues where you could train. I would think that if you had even a small group of interested students already assembled, and a space located to train, you would be more likely to find an instructor who would be willing to come in once or twice a week to train you.

Yes it will take some organizational work on your part but the rewards will be worth it if you can find a good instructor to work with.

Best of luck, Dave Wilson

Mike Shook
7th March 2001, 21:37
Yes, That was my thought also. I have already commited my self to doing just that. I know a list of interested people, a few venues to choose from and a place to stay might make this a tempting venture for an instructor. Bearing the brunt of the foot work and organizing would be a small price to pay for the gain.

So to you instructors out there, if this is something you would be willing to do. Please e-mail or call me. With the details of what would make this worth your time. Min. number of students, payment, square footage of floor space and the like. I would say that the base of students would be absolut beginers with a few displaced soul like my self who have moved to this MA void. That's not a true statment, there is MA here just no sword arts.

Thanks again
Mike Shook
wmsatk@aol.com
shipping@wirelessmountain.com
(805)595-2637
(805)596-0960 [205]

ghp
7th March 2001, 23:20
Mike,

There is a Daitoryu Aikijujutsu teacher in SLO ... let me know if you want his contact information.

It's not iai, but ....

--Guy

MarkF
8th March 2001, 07:39
Hi, Mike,
I just did a Google.com search, without much hope of finding anything in Obispo, but I did get one hit with search words, "sword, iaido, San Luis Obispo and got a simple home page who describes himself as doing kenjitsu[sic], aikiken, and who goes to Cal Poly.

He may be doing what he does with the DR teacher in Obispo mentioned by Guy, but here it is. Good luck!

http://whtknight79.homestead.com/MyHomepage.html

I didn't check dates, but it seems to be an active page, so you may want to get in touch with him.

The study group idea is a good one. Someone is bound to know enough to lead?

Jeff Berry
8th March 2001, 12:20
Mike, Any training at its core is a process of discovering for one's self. A teacher is thus really more of a guide. My teacher and guide is James Williams. A solution that works for me and may for you is to host a training seminar two to four times per year. Ours are two to three days long, and believe me that supplies more than enough material to work on for several months till the next time. If you are interested please e-mail me and I can give more details.

Nathan Scott
8th March 2001, 22:06
Mr. Shook,

I'm actually in that area off and on as it turns out. The more I think about it, the more I think something can be worked out if your interested.

Check your email!

Regards,

Saber
20th May 2003, 22:27
hello i live in San luis obispo i have been looking for a kendo dojo but the closest on is in Santa barbra .if someone is giving classes near San luis obispo please tell me pls e-mail me if you know anything my e-mail addres is willem3de@yahoo.com thank you

Brian Griffin
21st May 2003, 08:36
Originally posted by Mike Shook
The closest qualified instruction is at best two and a half hours away at highway speed.Nope...

SLO is only a 90 minute drive from Santa Barbara; Santa Maria is about 70 minutes from SB. That's if you don't speed ;)

There used to be Iaido at the Minami Center in SM. You should ask them.

In exchange for driving down here to Santa Barbara, you get to train with Hatanda sensei (7-dan kyoshi) who learned his kendo the old-fashioned way at the Budo Senmon Gakko before the war.

...You have heard of the BuSen, haven't you??

If you'd like to know how good Hatanda sensei is, just ask Kiyama Shihan...they're old friends.

The club is small, but a has a number of strong 3-dans who've trained there for many years under both Hatanda sensei and the late Shimoda sensei (8-dan). You'd have to travel a very long way, indeed, to find comparable instruction. To find better instruction, you might need to cross an ocean.

Classes are on Thursday evening at the Buddhist Church, 1015 E. Montecito St. The phone # is (805) 962-3633.

Take the Milpas St. exit from US101 & turn away from the ocean. Drive about a mile on Milpas to Montecito St. & turn right (Scolari's Market is on the corner). The church is about a block down, on the left.

pgsmith
21st May 2003, 19:51
Hi Brian,
You do realize you just replied to a post that's over two years old right? I don't think the gentleman that originally asked that question posts here any more, although I could be wrong.

Cheers,