PDA

View Full Version : Women!

George Hyde
8th March 2001, 17:16
Hi All,

Call me crazy, but against all odds, I'm forging ahead with another issue of the BSKF On-Line Newsletter.

The first issue was very well received by kenshi all over the world. I had many positive and encouraging comments. However, despite numerous requests for contributions of and/or suggestions for future material, the response was virtually non-existent.

So, here's a suggestion...

I'm planning a series of articles with particular regard to women in Shorinji Kempo. Obviously, contributions and suggestions by female kenshi will figure highly, but this does not mean that all the men should pass up the opportunity to participate - you train with them, teach them and are instructed by them so your views, ideas and suggestions are equally welcome.

If at this moment you're thinking of a particular topic that might be of interest to you or others, but have neither the time or inclination to write about it, then <b>tell me about it anyway!</b> I can always put it to someone else who may oblige.

You can post suggestions here or put them directly to me: george@bskf.org

Hope to hear from you soon.

Later,

luar
8th March 2001, 20:37
Sad to say that for our NYC branch, we do not have many women participants and those that we do have come infrequently. Actually I am not sure we have them as members anymore.

Our original Dojo did not have proper changing facilities for women and we had no choice but to make do with a broom closet while the men changed in store room. Right now we are located in a dance studio, so the facilities should be a lot better. These are the drawbacks of being non-profit.

But I think the article would be more interesting if it included suggestions as to how to best recruit more women into SK. What is it with SK that can be attractive for women students as oppose to the other martial arts.

IMHO, I think women make interesting training partners only because they are not as predictable as men. I tend to see them become more internal and use a lot more kicks.

Ciao