PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new here...

curious_student
17th September 2011, 12:39
Hi everyone, I'm new here...

I've been training in a style of Mixed Martial Arts for about the last 1.5 years and have recently decided I'm not happy there-Don't get me wrong, I've learned some useful things but on the whole I feel what they want out of their students is money and not much else. Also, the "Sensei" of this school claims to have qualifications in many styles, some of which don't even exist...

Anyway...For the last couple of weeks I've been searching for a new Dojo to train at but the thing is, I'm not really sure what style I want to learn. I want to learn an art that will train all parts of my being-Physical, mental and spiritual. What art would you recommend for this? I also don't know if I want to practice a Chinese or Japanese system-Can anyone explain the primary differences between the two, in regards to actual physical movements as well as philosophy? Numerous styles of martial arts are available within a (relatively) short drive of where I live.

I apologise if this post doesn't make a whole lot of sense-I would just really appreciate some honest advice from experienced practicioners of the martial arts.

Thank you,

Tom.

Tripitaka of AA
17th September 2011, 13:53
That is a HUGE question. Or a small one, depending on how you look at it. There are so many similarites between different martial arts, but also numerous differences. People can give you some broad descriptions of the different styles and maybe that will sway your decision.. but I think most people of any experience will say that the style is less critical than the instructor and the class. If you have a lot of classes available in your area (you are very lucky if this is the case) then it would be well worth visiting as many as you can to get a feel of the atmosphere. Ask if you can watch a class. Ask if you can try a class, many groups will offer a free taster session. Go to all the classes, even if you think that the first one is ideal. It might help you to notice what's missing from each class. When you find one that seems to have everything you want, then your decision will have been made.

Once you choose a class, it will be "empty your cup" time. Submit to the instruction and go with the flow. Soak up everything that you are taught, like a sponge, but remember to forget what you already know (squeezing out the sponge will allow you to soak up more, geddit :) ). Try to avoid comparing everything you are shown with something that you have learned elsewhere - keep those comparisons for an internal meditation and reflection that can be ongoing as you progress. There will be different methods, drills and techniques to achieve the same goals. It won't always make sense, but trust in the teacher will be required at some point.