PDA

View Full Version : Muto Masao (Yagyu Shingan-ryu taijutsu)

Meik Skoss
9th March 2001, 13:43
I just received some very sad news from Japan. Muto Masao, the headmaster of Goto-ha Yagyu Shingan-ryu and a shihan in the Otsubo line of Yagyu Shinkage-ryu, died earlier today after a brief illness.

Muto Sensei knew practically everybody in koryu circles and was one of the nicest people I ever met in Japan, a wonderful man who helped any number of people with a sincere interest in the classical martial arts with both information and introductions to other teachers. He had one of the largest collections of books, densho and other materials related to the Japanese martial arts in private hands and was happy to share this knowledge with people. He'll be succeeded by his senior students, a group of very skilled and dedicated men (and nice to boot), most of whom train in both Yagyu Shingan-ryu and Shinkage-ryu.

It's a very sad day for people in Japanese kobudo, but I think he will be satisfied with his students and proud of their work. We'll miss him.

Yamantaka
9th March 2001, 14:13
Originally posted by Meik Skoss
I just received some very sad news from Japan. Muto Masao, the headmaster of Goto-ha Yagyu Shingan-ryu and a shihan in the Otsubo line of Yagyu Shinkage-ryu, died earlier today after a brief illness.

It's a very sad day for people in Japanese kobudo, but I think he will be satisfied with his students and proud of their work. We'll miss him.

YAMANTAKA : Please accept our heartfelt feelings for this great loss.
Sincerely

David A. Hall
13th March 2001, 02:14
Meik,

I am really sorry to hear about Muto Sensei. As you know, he and I spent a lot of time discussing things about the koryu and comparing notes. I just spoke with him about 6 months ago on the phone...its hard to believe he's gone.

I really don't know anyone who can take his place. He had such a comprehensive knowledge of everything...and he knew everybody who was anybody in the koryu.

I will miss him a lot.

Dave Hall

14th March 2001, 15:41
Hi Meik,

My condelonces to Muto Sensei's friends and students.

It's sobering isn't it. We are witnessess to the passing of the last of the prewar influenced teachers. I'm glad to hear that Muto Sensei had such a dedicated group of followers to carry on in his absence. It was also great to hear your glowing descriptions of the man. Thank you for enlightening us.

Toby