PDA

View Full Version : LF: Kenjutsu - Hokushin Itto-Ryu in Toronto

ultrahousemusic
27th October 2011, 00:44
Hi I'm new to the forum. I've searched for previous threads relating to Kenjutsu in Toronto, there is one but the thread is 6 or so years old and perhaps a lot of outdated information, so decided to start a new one.

I'm new to Kenjutsu and I've attended one Katori Shinto Ryu class in Toronto. I enjoyed it very much as the katas are performed at speed. I am however interested in seeing if Hokushin Itto-Ryu is taught in Toronto because from what I gather, Hokushin Itto-Ryu includes sparring in their curriculum.

The search has not been easy, and my assumption now is that Hokushin Itto-Ryu is nowhere to be found in Toronto. However, I have read some posts here where some members mentioned that there are dojos that are not listed and are word of mouth only, so I am here to try my luck.

If I don't find Hokushin Itto-Ryu, I would also look around to see what else is available before committing to the study. I do know in the city there are the following ryus being taught:

- Katori Shinto Ryu
- Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu
- Shindo Yoshin Ryu
- Yagyu Shinkage Ryu

If there are any other ones available, please let me know, Hokushin Itto-Ryu would be top choice for me, if it exists in the city.

Thanks!

Kevin Cheung

Steven Wood
27th October 2011, 00:57
I can't help you in your search in Toronto, but my two cents worth would be that you should spend as much, or more, time and effort researching the sensei at each school as you do the specific ryu.

If you decide what ryu you want to study but then train under a sensei that lacks the proper credentials, you have wasted alot of time. In addition to credentials, you also want to make sure that their teaching style matches with your learning style.

For what it is worth,

Steven Wood