PDA

View Full Version : Do any schools teach the use of both swords?

Chip
14th March 2001, 18:55
All of the references I have seen to different schools only mention the long sword. I was wondering if anyone trained with the short sword or both swords in addition to the long sword only.

Den
14th March 2001, 19:48
Nishio Sensei, an Aikido shihan, is also a 7th dan in a two-sword ryu-ha, but doesn't teach it in his Aiki-toho.

Saotome Sensei, also an Aikido shihan, has developed two-sword techniques that are available on video. I've seen Saotome demostrate these in-person and they are quite beautiful. Serious practitioners criticize them for being impractical, but they're beautiful to watch.

-Anthony Deen

Devon Smith
14th March 2001, 21:04
From what I've read, Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu has two-sword techniques in the cirriculum, and I've heard of a style called Takenouchi-ryu that might also. Another more widely known school of two swords is Niten Ichi-ryu.

Devon

Hans Andersen
14th March 2001, 21:27
Kendo includes two-sword techniques, with a long and short shinai.

Additionally, the last two kendo kata (out of ten) are short sword vs. long sword techniques.

Kolschey
14th March 2001, 22:01
Originally posted by Hans Andersen
Kendo includes two-sword techniques, with a long and short shinai.

If you ever get the chance to watch a tournament where one of the senior practitioners is doing two sword keiko, you will be in for a real treat. Several years ago, I had the chance to see such a demonstration in Cleveland. Extraordinary!

Now if I could only learn how to use one sword properly...

14th March 2001, 23:23
Chip,

Are you a student of Sensei Ray? I just visited his dojo this past Sunday to say hello to Sensei Phil Relnick. Sensei Ray and I keep missing each other... he probably thinks I'm a flake or something. LOL

Anyway.

I study Yanagi ryu and all our sword work requires the wearing of both long and short swords. In Yanagi ryu both swords are used in various kata individually or together.

Toby Threadgill

Chip
15th March 2001, 18:56
Originally posted by Toby Threadgill
Chip,

Are you a student of Sensei Ray? I just visited his dojo this past Sunday to say hello to Sensei Phil Relnick. Sensei Ray and I keep missing each other... he probably thinks I'm a flake or something. LOL

Toby Threadgill

Yes I am. I just started last month. I wish I had started two and half years ago when we moved up here, though at that time I doubt my wife would have put up with me being gone to class four times a week.

Thanks to all of you for the information.

Meik Skoss
16th March 2001, 12:00
There are a number of koryu that include the use of two swords. They include (but aren't necessarily limited to): Tatsumi-ryu, Yagyu Shinkage-ryu, Shingyoto-ryu, Katori Shinto-ryu, Tendo-ryu, Shinto Muso-ryu/Shinto-ryu (the kenjutsu system subsumed by SMR, not to be confused with other flafors of SR), Kashima Shinto-ryu, and (if I'm not mistaken), Shin Muso Yanagi-ryu (not the same as the stuff done by Don Angier). I have never seen any nito waza in Takenouchi-ryu, but it *might* be a part of their curriculum -- they've got just about everything else.

Hope this helps.