PDA

View Full Version : Matsui Kenji's Jo book (in translation)

Harold James
15th March 2001, 06:21
I have heard references to a translated copy (by David Hall?) of Matsui Kenji's book on Jo (do?) or (jutsu?).

I have both books about Jo that Matsui Kenji wrote (Um... did he write more than 2?) Which book was translated?

Meik Skoss
15th March 2001, 18:19
Most likely, the translation you're referring to is of one of Matsui's articles on the history of Shinto Muso-ryu. It was originally published by the International Hoplology Society (hoplos.com), but I don't know whether or not it is still available. You need to contact Chip Armstrong for more information on that score.

Harold James
15th March 2001, 23:27
Mr. Skoss:

Thanks for the reply. I had read on JMAS (I think) about the history of SMR and Mr. Taylor had used that translation as a reference. Thanks for the info.

For general interest:

By the way, not in translation (but very interesting) the current issue of "The Hiden Budo & Bujutsu" has a nice article on Nishioka Sensei (by Matsuzaki Sukasa) dealing with the Kihon, "Honte-uchi, Gyakute-uchi, Hiki Makitoshi-uchi."

?h–{Žè‘Å‚¿?A‹tŽè‘Å‚¿?Aˆø‚«Šª‚Æ‚µ‘Å‚¿?h?B

The article has a great picture of Shimizu-Dai Sensei and a very, VERY young Nishioka Sensei doing Uchida-ryu Tanjo outdoors (The picture is the end of one of the Shamen kata). Shimizu Sensei is wearing a suit and Nishioka Sensei is wearing regular clothes as well. It's a really neat picture!

Does any of the larger Japanese book stores in the States carry this magazine? Like Kinokuniya or Sasuga (in Boston) perhaps?

Jya mata

MichaelRogers
18th March 2001, 14:35
Just to continue the thread on BAB Japan and Matsui Kenji sensei: Hiden has ads for a 3 volume video set produced by BAB on the Jo by Matsui Kenji sensei. It includes the Kihon single and paired, Seitei kata, Omote, Chudan, Kage, Samidare, Kenjutsu, Tanjo jutsu, and another one called Shigoguchi? Shiaiguchi?

6,800 yen each including tax. Not too bad at the present exchange rate. BAB's phone number is 03-3469-0135, fax: 03-3469-0162. Their website is http//:www.bab.co.jp/hiden/

Anyone seen these and have an opinion on whether they are worth owning or not?

Regards

Michael Rogers

Harold James
18th March 2001, 23:32
Mr. Michael Rogers

I have all three of his videos and both his books.

About the videos. The first one, which only contains the kihon (my version only has it done solo) and the Zen Nihon Kendo Renmei's Seiteigata forms. This video is pretty standard.

The second one contains some of the SMR kata. Mr. Matsui recieved his Menkyo from Otofuji Sensei (but I think he started in Tokyo) and so both the video and the books do not have "Gohonno Midare" and they use slightly different terminology and of course there are the little things that are done differently than other groups do.

The second also has Uchida-ryu Tanjo Jutsu. Mr. Matsui talks at the end about the differences between the way its done in Fukuoka and the way it's done in Tokyo.

The third video has the rest of the SMR kata and Shinto-ryu kenjutsu.

All three videos are in Japanese. They are fairly well done but all the kata are predominately from the same camera angle, and it can sometimes be hard to see what's going on witht he footwork and what not.

The last part of the first video has Mr. Matsui giving a lot of explenation and the kihon. I would reccomend the first one if you buy any of them at all. Remember though, it's all Japanese. Unless, BAB Japan has released a copy with subtitles, I don't know.

By the way, what you are calling "shigogutchi" or "Shiaiguchi) (But I think in this case it might be pronunced- shireaiguchi- Žd?‡Œû) is also called "Okuden" (‰œ“` different kanji but the same set of kata)

Maybe the best part of each video is the little pamphlet that comes with each one. All three have some nice, but brief, information about the history of the SMR and they also have a linage map included.

MichaelRogers
19th March 2001, 14:35
Dear Harold James;

Thanks for the reply and info. Sounds like the videos are worth having if the about $200 price doesn't get in the way. I'm light years from learning or even knowing what the okuden is. But, it wouldn't be bad having a video reference of them, just in case, don't you think?

I have met Matsui sensei at a couple of seminars and enjoyed his style of teaching. He certainly stressed correct kihon to our group.

If there is a translation out there of his book I'd like to have a copy.

Regards

Michael Rogers