PDA

View Full Version : o naginata and bo

rottunpunk
12th February 2012, 17:18
Hi all,
I was just wondering if anybody knew of a source for Otake dojo style naginata and bo.

the only website i have found is:
http://www.koryubokken.com/shop/1_Katori-Shinto-ryu

which is out of stock.

My partner studies TSKSR and states that they are hard to get hold of because of the wood.
But any contacts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
debz

Kim Taylor
14th February 2012, 04:49
Hi all,
I was just wondering if anybody knew of a source for Otake dojo style naginata and bo.

the only website i have found is:
http://www.koryubokken.com/shop/1_Katori-Shinto-ryu

which is out of stock.

My partner studies TSKSR and states that they are hard to get hold of because of the wood.
But any contacts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
debz

Never made the KSR bo specifically but have made lots of bo, and Katori naginata too.

Shipping to Europe isn't pretty but it's not impossibly expensive either. I think I've got some KSR naginata in stock in NA white oak, I'd have to check though.

Kim.
kataylor@sdksupplies.com

Chris Parker
14th February 2012, 06:27
Hi Deborah,

The Koryubokken site had their equipment made by Petar Antunovic, a Bujinkan member in Croatia who used to run his own site, and currently has a couple of blogs to advertise his products.... however I'd caution against it. His products are great, and there's some rather innovative things that he does, but due to a range of circumstances, not least the political environment in Croatia itself, reliability is another issue entirely. I'll put it this way: I've been waiting about 6 years for a range of things I ordered. So I'm not surprised that the Koryu Bokken site had issues supplying products. Petar comes across as a good hearted guy, but things get away from him fairly easily from the looks of things, and he gets overwhelmed.

Kim, you say you have some Katori Shinto Ryu O Naginata around? Ooh.... interested... I may just have to send you a PM over that...

ScottUK
14th February 2012, 16:56
Deb, you coming to the keiko next Sunday? If so, drag Jari along and if my O-Nag is the kind of thing he is looking for, I will point him at the chap who made it.

rottunpunk
15th February 2012, 13:36
hi all thanks for the replies.

Kim, Jari has one of your chunky kodachi. I will remind him to email you.

Chris, good luck in your wait. I am guessing you havent paid him yet?
I have a bowyer friend who sounds just the same.
Amazing craftmanship, when the artistic temprement lets them get on and make things.

Scott, I should be there. Jari may be training down south but bring it along and i can have a butchers.

Cheers again all
debz

Stefffen
16th February 2012, 10:48
I ordered a shintoryu bokken from koryubokken.com. It did take them some time but I got it, and I agree with Chris, well made products and from memory good service. But another one at the club ordered a Otake naginata from well over a year ago, still not got it and probably wont. Next time I will probably try Beth Johnson

kokumo
16th March 2012, 18:36
I ordered a shintoryu bokken from koryubokken.com. It did take them some time but I got it, and I agree with Chris, well made products and from memory good service. But another one at the club ordered a Otake naginata from well over a year ago, still not got it and probably wont. Next time I will probably try Beth Johnson

Steffen,

Beth's work is, in my experience, second to none. The good news is that Beth is straight with her clients about waiting times. The bad news is that the quality of the work is leading to increased waiting times. If you think you know when next time is likely to be, order early. (But please, not before she finishes my yari!)

Best,

Fred

Stefffen
17th March 2012, 19:45
If you think you know when next time is likely to be, order early. (But please, not before she finishes my yari!)

Best,

Fred
Fred

Moahahaha! You should not have said!

You are correct though, good quality do take time.

BJohnson
24th March 2012, 14:20
Fred is perhaps too kind in his self-assuaging assertion -- he'll only use the yari against me when it's done, so I have less incentive to finish than I do for other folks. In truth though, yari are still in R&D for me, so that's certainly a quality control issue -- but in general wait times are long because I have to squeeze in the woodworking between all those other demands on my time. The day job, the family, the one-class-per-semester creep toward my bachelor's, my own budo . . .

That's why I'm pretty much sticking to koryu commissions at this time -- I'm trying to keep from spreading myself too thin. I'd much rather do a few things really well than let the quality slip, and it's a way for me to pay forward to a group of arts that have enriched my life in many, many ways.

-Beth

Stefffen
16th April 2012, 23:15
Update:

My friend has now got his naginata. He got to choose between receiving a refund or a naginata made by somebody ells. He seems happy.