PDA

View Full Version : Police Use Of The Jo

TIM BURTON
16th March 2001, 15:37
Hi everyone,
You will see from my posts that I study Taiho Jutsu. The Japanese system includes the use of the Jo. Can anyone give me more information on this part of Taiho Jutsu. What style was the Jo taken from in order to be included into the Taiho Jutsu system? Are there any books on the subject of the police use of Jo? Etc.
Yours Tim Burton UK

Meik Skoss
17th March 2001, 12:21
Police use of the jo is called (you guessed it) keijojutsu. The techniques derive from Shinto Muso-ryu jojutsu. It is probably more accurate to consider the keijo (J: police jo) a riot baton. The police baton (the good ol' billy club) is referred to as a keibo. It is a separate system, keibo soho, and the techniques are primarily taken from those of Ikkaku-ryu juttejutsu, one of the SMR fuzoku budo, or subsumed systems.

Technically speaking, taihojutsu (which, in the U.S. goes by the name of defensive tactics) is a primarily a system of unarmed techniques (toshu waza), that is combined with the keibo and restraining cord (torinawa) waza. As I unerstand it, keijojutsu is not really combined with the unarmed techniques. Although Japanese police officers are expected to be reasonably proficient in all of these arts, except for the riot police (kidotai) most of them do not train that much in police-style combatives and are far more likely to pursue judo or kendo.

Hope this helps.

Stephenjudoka
17th March 2001, 13:04
Hi Tim,

I have two books on the police use of riot batons (Jo).
Both were written by Col. Rex Applegate.
1. Riot Control - Material and Techniques
2. Kill or Get Killed

Obviously there are the same techniques in 'Get Tough' and I do recommend you read a book by L. Martin
'Ease of restraint' (An aide to Law Enforcement Officers)
It draws heavely on Shinnoshindo Ryu Ju Jutsu. The writer being the founder of the Martin - Fairbairn School of Ju Jutsu.

Of course there are the modern books provided by ASP and Casco ect. but as to any books on the police use of Jo I have no idea but I will ask my contacts.

Stephen Sweetlove

TIM BURTON
17th March 2001, 14:42
Hi Meik,
I am led to believe that the main driving force behind the creation and training of keijo jutsu to the Tokyo police was Shimizu Takaji who was their resident Jojutsu instructor during the thirties. As he was connected with the Shindo Muso Ryu I assume the techniques employed stem from this system. Does the Shindo Muso Ryu contain a Keijo sub-discipline? If not one would think that Shimizu Takaji would have recorded his teachings to the police in one form or another.
As an aside, Steve mentions extending batons such as the ASP and CASCO variety. Did you know that the Japanese police introduced the Tokushu Keibo (an extendable metal truncheon) in 1961 when it went on a five year trail. Also called the tobi dashi jutte ( jump out trunceon) Shimizu Takaji was also responsible for its development and the creation of Tokushu Keibo Soho or the system of techniques employing the baton.

Meik Skoss
17th March 2001, 15:04
Keijojutsu is a completely different entity from jojutsu as practised in Shinto Muso-ryu. Although it contains some techniques that are =/- the same, they are done rather differently (police want to subdue/capture the suspect, not kill or maim him); other techniques are unique to keijojutsu (zengo tsuki and irimi, for instance).

During the late '70s and early '80s, when I was at the Rembukan Dojo (before it was closed down, following Shimizu S.'s death), I had a chance to work with the riot police and/or observe their training, which is when I got what I know of these systems. The tobidashi jutte is, as mentioned, a further development of the keibo waza; it is mainly based on Ikkaku-ryu juttejutsu principles and movement patterns and developed by Shimizu Takaji S. and his assistants. Again, tobidashi jutte waza are done very differently from the koryu techniques because cops are (presumably) trying to arrest the bad guys, not just kill them.

Kit LeBlanc
18th March 2001, 01:16
Meik,

Are their any groups/dojo teaching taiho jutsu these days? Or are the modern cops mainly just doing, as you said, kendo and judo?

Kit

Earl Hartman
21st March 2001, 23:41
Kit:

This is a long time ago now, but I was in Yokohama training in kendo with the kidotai for about a month during my first stay in Japan from 1972-74. The kidotai would train in taiho jutsu in the mornings and kendo in the afternoons pretty much every day, as I recall.

TIM BURTON
22nd March 2001, 00:12
A good friend of mine, Matt Clempner, of the Greater Manchester Police, visited japan recently as a guest of the police. He saw regular police officers, the Keidotai and the palace guard training. After observing these groups participate in Kendo, Judo and Aikido. He was asked to accompy them upstairs for "Taiho Jutsu". Here the police officer, what ever his martial art, was pitted against an un co-operative adversary. The instructors/referees, sometimes threw a weapon into the confrontataion to make it interesting. I do not think that Taiho Jutsu has fallen from grace with the Japanese police. However, I think the term may now be used to describe a no holds barred situation that a japanese police officer may face

Harold James
22nd March 2001, 02:26
The last time I was at Narita Airport and the last time I walked by the big police station at Shibuya, I was given the impression that they only used the jo as something to lean on!