PDA

View Full Version : What's the polite way to contact someone?

Tucker Peterson
18th March 2001, 16:22
Private Messaging or e-mail? I'm new at this whole internet forum thing, and don't know.
Thanks,

Jason Chambers
18th March 2001, 17:34
Email would probably be best at first until a dialog is established.

Rememeber common courtesy when writing someone for the first time.

Use a proper greeting & salutation...

Tucker Peterson
18th March 2001, 17:48
Thank-you for the prompt answer! I'll do as you say: E-mail with normal letter format.
I appreciate the help.

Thanks again,

CIM-BA
16th December 2004, 18:39
Originally posted by Jason Chambers
Email would probably be best at first until a dialog is established.

Rememeber common courtesy when writing someone for the first time.

Use a proper greeting & salutation...

Contacting someone within a forum - a PM would be more appropriate. PM's also provide a common ground, semi-approved dialog as both parties would need to be members of a board to use a PM.

E-mail once contact has been established. E-mail is more personal - it is something that will like reach the person's home - where a PM can be read on-line
(yes, both are on-line, and both are from a person's PC, but people who write me without an invite usually have their messages caught by spam-filters. PM's make it through.)

My 25 cents

MarkF
17th December 2004, 20:52
(yes, both are on-line, and both are from a person's PC, but people who write me without an invite usually have their messages caught by spam-filters. PM's make it through.)

Strange, but emails get through while PM notices are filtered out to the junk folder and always have no matter what the setting. Do you know how many times I have put the E-budo mailer on the safe list on two computers? It doesn't seem to matter what the setting, either except "Do not filter." Online, I can set it to receive a pop-up, but then I have to reset the pop-up blocker, as well.

I have learned to live with it and can usually find those from e-budo and others that occasionally end up in the junk folder, but it took a while.

Mark

CIM-BA
17th December 2004, 21:05
Well, have exchange set to block most e-mail except the ones I permit.

A PM will show when one logs onto the site and this allows them to retrieve a message at will.

I suppose when trying to reach someone who doesn't frequent a particular forum - then e-mail may be tried. Just pointing out for me personally, I'd prefer a PM to an e-mail.