PDA

View Full Version : Translation needed, please..

DJM
19th March 2001, 20:12
Hi,
I have a Japanese phrase which I can't find in my meagre supply of 'Teach Yourself..' etc books..
I'd be very greatful if someone could give me the English translation for the following:

Akioto si amoto

Many thanks,
David

robuzo
20th March 2001, 19:14
David,

I'm a translator of Japanese by profession, and while I would like to be of assistance to a fellow aikido-ka (especially one from the lovely town of York), I'm afraid that the phrase you posted is impossible to decipher as it stands. The transliteration is rather odd (I'm not sure if "si" is an archaic particle, or what. . .). It may help if you provide some context- as much as possible.

I check back in later.

DJM
21st March 2001, 07:38
Robert,
Many thanks for your swift reply, I hope the Aikido is going well..? Unfortunately I don't have any context so to speak of.. I was having a conversation, on the net, with someone about spelling - i.e. difficulties in English, and the person I was talking with said it wasn't so bad as Japanese - and typed the below.. The person in question deferred to answer until another time, so I thought I'd try and find out before then.. I'm guessing it proved the point in that they must have spelt it very badly!!
The person in question wasn't an expert, so wouldn't be likely to know anything obscure..
Thanks again,
David