PDA

View Full Version : Gohan

Nick
20th March 2001, 02:17
Hey all-- I need some tips on how to prepare rice, and what kind of cookware to prepare it in. I finally found some short gran rice, but every time I cook it it's either watery because it was undercooked, or has a charred taste because it was overcooked. Also, how to prepare it as far as rinsing, etc, and any recommendations as to easy recipes using Gohan would be a great help.

Thanks,

Nick

burp
20th March 2001, 20:19
Howdy!

We use a Japanese rice cooker, so the rice comes out perfect almost everytime. In the states, these run around $125 and up at a Japanese market. I've heard that the old type (common in regular U.S. department stores - fairly inexpensive) work fairly well too, but they are an old type of rice cooker that hasn't been used in Japan for 20 plus years (?).

Anyway, we use equal parts water and rice. Sometimes a tad more water is needed. Rice cookers have measurement lines to measure the amount of water for the amount of rice. My wife (Japanese), claims that the rice when cooked in Utah is not as good due to the high altitude. I've not noticed a difference, since the rice cooker is semi-pressurized anyway. Remember, equal parts water (if just barely washed), let sit for 15 plus minutes before cooking, and let sit 15 plus minutes after cooking. Stir once or twice after finished ( lets the excess moisture escape) and wait for a minute or two after stirring before serving.

At times when I haven't had a rice cooker handy, I've used a simple pot with a lid. Equal parts water / rice, bring to a boil uncovered, cover and immediately lower the heat to low. DON'T lift the lid until 20 minutes or so have passed. If you do the steam will escape and it won't turn out right. Should be done in about 20 minutes. Stir after done a couple of times to let excess moisture escape and serve. The main problem with cooking in a pot is that rice will inevitably stick to the bottom of the pan. A huge pain when you are doing the dishes.

Washing rice ... when I was in Japan I was told to wash my rice thoroughly or I would get Gallstones (old wives tale?). Wash by adding cold water and by swishing your fingers vigorously in the rice. Drain and do over. Do it several times until the water drains clear. I find that most of the time I wash nowadays, I'm just washing off the glucose or talc that coats the rice (in the U.S.). In Japan, however, I would be washing all sorts of stuff out of the rice (depending on the rice bought).

I'll see if I can scare together a few recipes involving rice and leftover rice that my wife and I like.

Enjoy!

mikehansen

Nick
20th March 2001, 20:34
It seems when I let it just sit, the bottom of my pot always ends up burned... should I turn down the heat? Also, you mentioned to let it sit afterwards-- wouldn't that make it cold, and if so, is there a way to reheat it without it losing its flavor? So far I've just done chicken or beef, with teriyaki, but my ingredients are a bit limited (not many Japanese food stores in my area) so I have to make do, but I can imagine I'd be able to find what I need.

Thanks,

Nick

john mark
21st March 2001, 13:00
Originally posted by Nick
It seems when I let it just sit, the bottom of my pot always ends up burned...

Add water, bring to a boil, simmer a few minutes -- burnt rice tea/broth. It's good stuff which you can't make if you're using a rice cooker.

Best,

Margaret Lo
21st March 2001, 15:55
Nick
Electric rice pots that all of Asia uses can be had for a lot less than $125.00. Smaller ones cost as little as $40.00 Try the net and ebay. They NEVER break down if you buy a national or panasonic (same brand, diff. generations).

If you must use a pot, use teflon or without teflon, turn down the heat to low once the water boils.

M

burp
21st March 2001, 19:30
Howdy!

In a pot, you must turn the heat down to LOW after it comes to a boil. Since I have electric burners (what I wouldn't give for a gas stove), I have been known to bring to a boil on one burner and then switch to another burner on LOW. That way you can help avoid burning the rice.

Margaret is right. There are alot of inexpensive rice cookers out there. Most of these are the type that were used in Japan ages ago (I've never seen one in Japan - but then again I wasn't exactly looking for one) and much of Asia still does(?). I've never used them. However, I've heard they work very well.

Plus, I've seen one in Target that functions the same as the nice ones from Japan, but costs a fraction of the price. Forgot the brand ... sorry. A friend picked one up and it does a fine job.

BTW. When letting sit afterwards, it sits with the lid on, stirring occassionally. I find that if I don't do this ... the rice may be a little too moist for my taste. Too moist? Too dry? Too firm? To soft? All personal preference. I know rice preferences differ throughout Asia. In Japan, it's the ratio of 1:1 for water and rice. Elsewhere it is 1.5:1 for water and rice, etc. Experiment a little to find what you're looking for.

There isn't a problem with the rice getting cold in a rice cooker (unless you unplug it), but you'll have to use your judgement in a pot and not let it sit too long.

Enjoy!

mikehansen

Neil Yamamoto
21st March 2001, 20:36
Go to Target and buy a rice cooker for about $30- 40 and you won't have to even bother with any worries about how long to cook, heat, or any of those things.

I have a Hitachi rice cooker that is about 10 years old and still works great. No, it doesn't have an automatic off switch, pressurized cooking compartment or built in light saber, it just cooks rice and does it well. Follow directions in the manual and you should have no problems.

BTW, to reheat rice, use a tupperware bowl that is microwave safe and add a few drops of water to the rice. Partially cover the bowl and nuke it for about 1- 2 minutes or so depending on how much you are heating.

For recipes and ideas, go to the NJAHS website: www.njahs.org

and buy the book, "A rice cookers companion" Only $20 and well worth it since the book has lots of home style recipes for Japanese and Japanese derived recipes.