PDA

View Full Version : Ikkaku-Ryu?

PghRonin
21st March 2001, 10:34
How man techniques are there in Ikkaku-Ryu? Is there a special design of jutte used or can you use any jutte? I also heard there are some tessen techniques taught in Ikkaku-Ryu, are there?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer these questions.

Meik Skoss
21st March 2001, 16:15
T. Thornton wrote: "How man[y] techniques are there in Ikkaku-ryu? Is there a special design of jutte used or can you use any jutte? I also heard there are some tessen techniques taught in Ikkaku-ryu; are there?"

There are twenty-four techniques in Ikkaku-ryu, divided into two sets (omote and ura) of twelve waza each. The tessen, per se, is not a weapon of study. It is used in a couple of techniques as a supplement to the jutte, and is discarded during the waza, after serving as a blocking and covering weapon.

Hope this helps.

PghRonin
21st March 2001, 23:02
What about the type of jutte used, like the shape, round, octagon ect. and the length? Does any of this matter?

Meik Skoss
22nd March 2001, 01:10
Yup. Sorry I left that out of my previous post. The jutte used in Ikkaku-ryu is hexagonal, sometimes octagonal, in shape (the corners of the shaft give the technique a bit more "bite" when they connect) and is about twenty centimeters in length. The end of the tine is a bit sharp, or could take a bit of an edge. The tassels are either black, orange-red, red, or purple (denoting rank from all I've been told).

Hope that helps.

PghRonin
22nd March 2001, 01:42
20cm...that is only 8 in. What is the total length of the jutte?

Meik Skoss
22nd March 2001, 13:05
About 30 centimeters. I don't have mine out to measure it exactly, but it's somewhere in that neighborhood. It's a pretty good-sized chunk of metal, though.

PghRonin
22nd March 2001, 20:28
Mr. Skoss,
Where did you purchase your jutte from? I was also wondering what type of tessen is used since the tessen is a secondary weapon?