PDA

View Full Version : Yoshin ryu jujutsu (Akiyama)

Chad E
21st March 2001, 09:59
hi

does anyone know where i can find some detailed information about yoshin ryu jujutsu??

thanks

21st March 2001, 14:22
Chad,

There are several styles of "Yoshin ryu" jujutsu floating around. Many are modern in formation and unrelated to the Yoshin ryu jujutsu existing as a koryu. I am assuming that you are asking about Yoshin Koryu, the style founded by Yoshitoki Shirobei Akiyama in the 17th century. I am not aware of anyone teaching Yoshin Koryu anymore although I could be wrong. It is my understanding that Yoshin Koryu was absorbed into several different traditions including the Shindo Yoshin ryu which I practise.

Hikosuke Totsuka was one of the last Yoshin Koryu instructors that I am familiar with. He took part in the famous contest between his school and the Kodokan. If he passed the tradition forward I am unaware of it. Perhaps someone like Meik Skoss or Joe Svinth would have the answer to this question.

Toby Threadgill

jchetty
21st March 2001, 18:30
According to the field guide in Sword and Spirit (check www.koryu.com) the Yoshin ryu is now a school of naginata jutsu and sojutsu. The rest of the curriculum seems to have been shed along the way. Sad really, for a school that was famous for its jujutsu.

Cheers,

jchetty
22nd March 2001, 06:35
Glad to hear that it still exists with jujutsu intact.

22nd March 2001, 13:34
Mr Chetty,

It is my understanding that Yoshin ryu naginata is a completely different tradition from the Yoshin Koryu founded by Akiyama Yoshitoki. This is easily confused as there are a number of traditions using the kanji character pronounced "yo" meaning "willow" in their name.

I know of at least 6 different "willow" styles.

Toby Threadgill

jchetty
22nd March 2001, 14:50
Sorry for confusion, I'll go and read my sources again.

jchetty
22nd March 2001, 14:51
Sorry for confusion, I'll go and read my sources again.

And thats Jairaj to you (or Jay for short) not Mr Chetty.

George Kohler
22nd March 2001, 17:26
Originally posted by Toby Threadgill
Mr Chetty,

It is my understanding that Yoshin ryu naginata is a completely different tradition from the Yoshin Koryu founded by Akiyama Yoshitoki. This is easily confused as there are a number of traditions using the kanji character pronounced "yo" meaning "willow" in their name.

I know of at least 6 different "willow" styles.

Toby Threadgill

I think they are the same ryuha. I looked in "Sword and Spirit" by Koryu Books about the yoshin ryu naginata on page 61 and it was the same founder as mentioned above.

22nd March 2001, 22:47
"I think they are the same ryuha. I looked in "Sword and Spirit" by Koryu Books about the yoshin ryu naginata on page 61 and it was the same founder as mentioned above.

Cool,

I didn't know that. If accurate thats really interesting information and contradicts some doumentation I have on the subject. I really hope that it is accurate. Any surviving naginata waza of Akiyama Shirobei would be very interesting to see.

Thanks for the info. I'll send a Email to Diane Skoss and ask her what she knows on this subject.

Very interesting!

Tobs

Joseph Svinth
25th March 2001, 01:10
Google, "Yoshin Ryu," turns up http://jujitsu.itgo.com/jujitsu.html . This is the standard 18th century organizational story, with little subsequent historical linkage to the present.

There are also a variety of styles that include Yoshin Ryu in the name, some of which are presumably offshoots. For example, here's Rod Sacharnowski visiting a Hontai Yoshin Ryu dojo in Japan in 1991. http://www.jukokai.com/docs/japan_trip_91/japan_trip_1.html .

George Kohler
25th March 2001, 16:01
For more information on Hontai Yoshin Ryu you can go to the USA branch website. www.hyrusa.com