PDA

View Full Version : Left Over Rice

john mark
21st March 2001, 22:03
What’s your favorite thing to do with cold left over rice?

I’ll share a secret family recipe for Bacon Fried Rice.

Cold lumpy leftover rice
Bacon
Eggs
Scallions
Garlic
Salt
Pepper

Chop up two slices of bacon and fry until crispy. Leave the grease in the pan.

Add as many eggs as you like and scramble. Remove from pan.

Chop and fry the balance of the bacon until crispy. Remove some of the fat. Add rice. Stir fry until hot and all the fat is absorbed. The secret is to remove enough of the fat so that rice is not too fatty.

Add eggs and scallions.

Season to taste.

Best,

Neil Yamamoto
21st March 2001, 22:49
I guess our mom's are related. Same thing we had for lunch a lot when I was growing up. My mom added some diced veggies too and seasoned with Shoyu.

john mark
21st March 2001, 23:46
Originally posted by Neil Yamamoto
I guess our mom's are related. Same thing we had for lunch a lot when I was growing up. My mom added some diced veggies too and seasoned with Shoyu.

Yikes you disclosed the hidden ingredients. Now all of ebudo will be able to make bacon fried rice without proper instruction!

Now that the secret is out I add frozen peas and carrots when I have them in the freezer and prefer Kikkoman Shoyu.

Best,

Neil Yamamoto
21st March 2001, 23:59
I guess we actually belong to different food-ha. My mother always told me there are no secrets, only bad ingredients and was open with her cooking.

My Paternal grandmother was of the old school, her recipes were secret and went to her grave with her. I always wanted to learn her secret for yaki soba but never did.

A little mirin to the rice as it's cooking adds some nice flavor too. I also like to add soy beans now that I cook it on my own. And since hitting that age where I have to think about such things, I use eggbeaters in place of real eggs.

john mark
22nd March 2001, 00:10
A little mirin to the rice as it's cooking adds some nice flavor too.

This could be a big time secret ingredient.

Time for dinner. Thanks,

Earl Hartman
22nd March 2001, 01:41
If it's winter, okayu (rice porridge) is the way to go. Be sure to add egg, miso, dashi, carrots, and, especially, daikon. A little usu age won't hurt, either. Chopped scallions to garnish if you've got 'em (Japanese naga negi [long green onions] is even better).

The only other requirement: eat it HOT out of a big donburi bowl with a big Chinese spoon and be sure to slurp a lot. Eating it while snuggled in a kotatsu is optional, but better.

For the yaki meshi you guys are describing, chopped garlic is a must.

Neil Yamamoto
22nd March 2001, 03:41
Actually, my favorite thing to do with left over rice is to make rice pudding with nice butterscotch topping made from real scotch.

Earl's right, needs garlic.

kusanku
22nd March 2001, 04:50
Hi! Noticed a discussion of left over rice and what favorite ways to prepare it, and couldn't resist!

What I like to do is get some chicken broth, and cook the rice in it till it soaks it up, now flip the rice into a frying device, wok or pan,now crisp it up a bit, keep it in the pot until its pretty dry before throwing it in the pan.

Some eggs are now added, make egg fried rice, with snow peas and onion optional, add the soy sauce.

Should be getting pretty crisp now, time to add the Vietnamese red pepper sauce, and eat from a bowl.

Mmmm-mmmm, good!:-)

Kusanku, headed for the kitchen right now, that sounded so good!:)

Joseph Svinth
22nd March 2001, 08:26
Grate some cheese on the rice, put the bowl in the microwave, and then wait about 1.5 minutes.

john mark
22nd March 2001, 13:47
nice butterscotch topping made from real scotch.

Neil,

Pleaseeee let me have butterscotch recipe.

Best,

Earl Hartman
22nd March 2001, 16:56
A good addition to yaki meshi: shredded iceberg lettuce.

I know it sounds weird, but I kid you not. Add it at the last minute and keep cooking until the lettuce just wilts a bit, no longer. It adds a nice crispy-crunchy accent.

Neil: do you have a recipe for a butterbourbon sauce? You really wouldn't use a good single malt for your butterscotch recipe, would you?

burp
22nd March 2001, 18:51
Howdy!

Got to agree with Earl on the okayu part. I like it made with miso, but homemade dashi is good too. Flake some leftover Salmon in there for a real treat.

On a similar note ... neko mama is good :o and extremely easy to make. Add leftover miso shiru to leftover gohan and you have neko mama. I like it alot, much better than my cat likes it (neko mama is fed to cats in Japan :look: )!

Ocha tsuke is delicious too. I don't eat it with green tea added (I buy the packages without green tea), but that is a personal choice.

My wife makes some wonderful crab chahan (fried rice) that I like. Fried up in sesame seed oil, with egg and a few veggies.

Enjoy!

mikehansen

burp
22nd March 2001, 18:54
Howdy!

Almost forgot! When making okayu with dashi, throwing some spinach in it is very good too.

Enjoy!

mikehansen

Neil Yamamoto
22nd March 2001, 23:13
OK, the basic recipe I got was:

3 cups Demerara or Sugar in the Raw. Brown sugar will work too.
3/4 cup Water
As an option, you can also use some unsweetened condensed milk in place of water. Makes for a more creamy texture. I used equal amounts of both.
2 tblspn Butter
1/8 tspn Soda
1/8 tspn real vanilla extract
Small pinch of salt
1-2 tblspn scotch – you can use more but it’s not really needed. The recipe I was given called for McCallan but I used Glenlivet and Tamnuvalin. A blend like Teachers will work just fine. A scotch without a lot of smoke works best.

Mix the sugar, butter, soda, scotch, salt, and vanilla together stirring constantly until melted and it turns to a deep brown, but be careful not to burn it. Then take from the heat and slowly stir in the water and condensed milk. Be careful, it will spatter and spit! Return to heat and stir until combined.

Use right away or pour into a large shallow pan and spread out. When cool, break into small pieces. Keep in the freezer. You can melt the pieces in the microwave for use as needed. Keeps nicely for a couple months.

Another recipe is about the same. This one has a stronger scotch taste, is heavier in mouth feel and has a slightly bitter taste to me. Works better as a hard candy then a topping.
1 cup Karo, Red Label
1 cup Karo, Blue Label
2 cups granulated sugar
4 tblspn butter
3 tblspn heavy cream or top milk
1/3 tspn salt
1 tspn vanilla
3-4 tblspn of scotch

Combine all in one pan and stir until mixture thickens and bubbles. Use warm as a topping, or pour it into a pan and chill, break into pieces. Doesn’t melt as well as the first recipe in the microwave.

Earl Hartman
22nd March 2001, 23:30
Neil:

You actually used a single malt for this? I don't believe it. Can I have your reasoning? It seems like a waste to do anything with a good single malt but drink it straight.

Or did you figure "Well, it's only The Glenlviet..."

Neil Yamamoto
23rd March 2001, 00:13
Earl, it was all I had in the cabinet at the time that fit with the flavor I was looking for. I was out of blended stuff at the time.

Besides, I got the Glenlivet on sale for $17.99 while I was in CA. About the same price as a decent blend.

BTW, here's the only butter bourbon sauce recipe I have.

1/2 cup butter (4 ounces)
1 cup sugar
1 egg - whole or yolk only - up to you.
1/2 cup bourbon.

I use what ever bourbon I have on hand, usually a bottle of Makers Mark is always in my cabinet. George Dickel will work if you like Tennessee whisky.

In a saucepan, melt butter and add sugar and egg, whisking. Cook and stir constantly until it thickens. Stir in the bourbon. Remove from heat and chill. Stir briskly before serving. I like it on bread pudding or a light drizzle on custard.

Dave Lowry
23rd March 2001, 23:31
Don't mean to break the flow of the Future AA group here, but no discussion of leftover rice would be complete without mention of koge. That's the scorched, toasty rice on the bottom of the pot. Scraped off and eaten plain, it's great, with a nutty flavour; crunchy texture. It's also good in a bowl with a spot of warm green tea poured over it and eaten the same as dishes mentioned above.

Okay, I'll turn it back over to the whisky fanatics.

Earl Hartman
23rd March 2001, 23:47
OK Dave, Japanese culture test time:

What is the other meaning of O-koge, and why is it used this way?

Of course, I expect you to ace this with your eyes closed, one hand tied behind your back, and hopping on one foot.

Neil Yamamoto
24th March 2001, 00:15
Earl, can I play?

Both you and Dave know far more then I do, but do you mean the scorch marks on pottery?

Dave Lowry
24th March 2001, 01:43
Dear Mr. Hartman,
Only other meaning I can recall offhand from my sadly limited vocabulary refers to the flowers and incense that you bring to a funeral or to the gravesite. That's also o-koge.

Cordially and can I take off the blindfold, unbind the arm and stop hopping or is there another meaning?

john mark
24th March 2001, 11:26
Originally posted by Dave Lowry
… koge. That's the scorched, toasty rice on the bottom of the pot. Scraped off and eaten plain, it's great, with a nutty flavour; crunchy texture. It's also good in a bowl with a spot of warm green tea poured over it and eaten the same as dishes mentioned above. …

Yummy.

Another variation that I have every now and then is burnt rice porridge/soup/tea. After you scoop the unburnt rice from the pot, heat the pot with just the burnt rice. After the pot gets hot, pour in water, bring to a boil simmer a few minutes. Scoop into a large bowl. Lift the bowl to your mouth, slurrppp and shovel with chop sticks.

Best,

Earl Hartman
26th March 2001, 17:47
Dave And Neil:

I am under the impression that "O-koge" is the Japanese slang equivalent for what is called in English a "fag hag", or a straight woman who likes to hang around with gay men. I have my own guess as to why this is, but I'm not sure. Actually, I was hoping that Professor Lowry would be able to enlighten me as to why this is.

Dave Lowry
27th March 2001, 03:09
This scholar never heard that expression. We gotta find a native speaker to explain it, I suppose.

Trying to figure what kanji could be used to write it...

Cordially,