PDA

View Full Version : Reasearching, writing, and doing?

MarkF
24th June 2000, 07:34
I originally posted this in the koryu section but I think it may apply here. I apologize for reposting it.

I didn't meant imply that someone could write about the nuances of an art, but one could write the history and its use,eg, in today's society, have all the facts in the world and put out, if not accurate in the doing, it can be accurate as to when, who, what, where, and why. Another may be how one becomes accepted to a particular ryuha and why some are not. I realize to write about any art, and that goes for the cultural arts as well, such as music, painting, and, well, writing. One does not have to know a note of music to play it either, and most people who do write about it, do not play or paint. That was my point. Of coure is one is going to write about something by experience it totally, then one would have to become immersed in it, but to write about something in which you have an informed opinion takes time and research of the thing.

Any thoughts?

Joseph Svinth
24th June 2000, 09:05
A friend of mine was in a military intelligence unit in Korea during the Korean War. He said he learned a lot more about what was going on at the time after he got home than he ever knew while he was in-country. This implies that sometimes the person doing the thing is so close to the subject that not only can't he see the forest for the trees, but he may have trouble seeing the trees for the bark.

TommyK
29th June 2000, 03:18
Greetings Mark and Joe,

There is an old saying that goes as follows:

Those that can, Do.
Those that can no longer do, Teach.
Those that cannot teach, Research.
Those that can no longer research, Write.
Those who can not do any of these things, surf the net. LOL

However,

I really think that those that can DO, and TEACH and are trained in History, Cultural Anthropology, Medicine, the Healing Arts, Philosophy etc., should add their talents and do the research and the writing. It is only more credible when you have done it, and taught it before you write it! This type of experience makes journals like JAMA so credible.

One bit of my 2 cents worth,
Regards,
TommyK