PDA

View Full Version : Hip replacement

Budo00
22nd March 2001, 21:50
My teacher is now in his late 50's and in need of hip replacement. He has no health insh. and is going to get it with SSI or Welfare.

Has any one had any exp. with this and what was your ability to train after words?

Please email me if you like at: hellbows@epix.net

Thanks for any info

bungadude
23rd March 2001, 16:49
Budo00, as a Physical Therapist, I have worked with a great many persons with hip replacement. The most common surgical approaches dislocate the original hip using hip bending, rolling the thigh inward, and bringing the knee past the midline of the body. After the surgery, should the recipient move excessively in those directions used to dislocate the hip to do the replacement, the new hip will dislocate. In the full THR, the socket is replaced with a plastic alloy component. Since pelvic wall is so thin, the depression to accomodate the new femoral head (ball of the ball & socket) is pretty shallow and small. The ball replacement is much smaller than the natural femoral head. It's much more easily dislocated. Normal sabaki should be okay, but maneuvers in which the replaced hip's thigh is internally rotated and brought across midline should be avoided. Grappling arts, with ground techniques, are particularly dangerous for this. This is going to be a tough decision for your teacher, one which I might also be facing in a few more years. Best of luck.

Joe Kras
3rd April 2001, 15:36
John gave a very good reply detailing what motions should be avoided following hip replacement. I would add(as an anesthesiologist who takes care of a lot of orthopedic patients) that the greater the load that is placed on the hip, the sooner it's going to wear out.

Well known South African karate-ka Stan Schmidt has had both hips replaced following an auto accident several years ago. He trains hard, but does not push his hips hard. There are always ways to compensate. You did not say what style/type of training you do, but this will greatly influence how well your instructor adapts. Anything that involves kicking/jumping/stamping should be avoided, in addition to the types of things that John mentioned.
Rehab will be slow and hard, and your instructor must be patient (accepting s-l-o-w progression vs. putting too much stress on the prosthesis and breaking it). But since he is only in his 50's (which looks younger every day) he has years and years to progress to his full potential.

Joe Kras