PDA

View Full Version : Koryu demonstrations & events in USA

Dan Harden
5th May 2003, 05:14
Hey.....I thought it deserved its own spot!

Its 11:00 P.M. here and I just left these folks at their hotel.

Koryu- alive and well in Worcester
I wanted to publicly post a thank you to Meik and Diane Skoss as well as their two co-demonstrators and members of their ryu; Bob Williams ad Ken (Sorry to have forgotten your last name Ken).
For those of you who may have missed the notice Meik and Diane came to Worcester Mass. to put on a Koryu demonstration as part of the Worcester Art Museums ongoing “Samurai Arts” exhibit. The team chose to present the Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, Shinto ryu, and Buko Ryu to an appreciative and standing room only crowd of eager attendees at the local exhibition hall just off campus.
The demonstration was a dynamic and highly charged display of Iai, Kumi- tachi Nito ryu, Naginata, Kodachi, and a dearly loved favorite…….the stick. The crowd’s responses echoed the superb timing and display of martial ferocity that was played out before their eyes. A masterful display of authentic Koryu art presented with Diane’s unique commentary brought the crowd along a joy ride of hypnotic reverie as their response went from quiet anticipation to audible gasps at the controlled violence of engagement on stage. I think it is fair to say that the team caught those in attendance unawares as to the technical brilliance displayed.

Sword
Meik and Bobs display of Yagyu Shinkage ryu was captivating and energetic. The exchanging of blows with Fukuro Shinai resounding through the hall ended with displays of a finishing target. Again, these exchanges were accompanied by explanations of armored and unarmored targeting and served to give all present a clear and basic understanding of one of Japan's premier arts. It was a bit of a kick to see people jump at Meik’s initial Kiai! I do not want to go into too much detail, but suffice to say there were quite a few surprises in the Kata chosen for presentation.

Battojutsu
Of particular note was the unique style of Iai or battujutsu. Identical techniques were displayed standing (Meik) and then performed while seated (Bob). There were also interesting continuations of technique past the initial draw. Particular notes of interest were the styles vertical-drawing displayed.

Shinto Muso ryu
The sword against stick probably engendered the strongest response from the crowd, with Ken displaying the stick’s powerful ability against sword to a surprised crowd. I would have loved to have heard an open question and answer period after the look on some of the audience’s faces!
Stick what?

The double round of applause and the sold-out crowd was encouraging, as there are many of us hoping that this will serve as a beginning step to several area museums.

After the affair ended Meik, Diane and Bob Williams graciously offered their time to a group of local Budoka for questions and a sharing of their training experiences (regretfully Ken had to head back home). A group of us retired to a local restaurant for fun and relaxation. For those who may not know-Meik and Diane are a delight. It was a pleasure to watch the dynamic between them as they finished each other’s sentences and in general just “talked shop” into the late hours. Many were surprised at their accessibility and openness. While some of the questions were detailed and perhaps exhaustive to answer- they took pains to explain complex issues and technical points to one and all. Personally, I have been to a number of these martial art shabangs and it is always a surprise to meet gracious unassuming people on the “other side” of an expert demonstration. I will add that both were engaging and surprised all with humorous and informative tales. In fact, after years of reading Meik’s writings here and elsewhere I got a kick out of meeting him in person and getting to hear him expand on some of this admittedly dry technical material and just crack everyone up with his stories and observations.
What a great time! I thought Budo was serious..Hah!
My only regrets were not getting to see Diane perform-perhaps she just intimidates the fellas too much-I dunno, and the fact that it was over too soon.

Thank you Meik, Diane, Bob, and Ken from those of us at Shugyo Dojo and the greater Worcester area.
Job well done.

Cheers
Dan Harden

Ron Tisdale
5th May 2003, 20:04
Nice review Dan! Wish I had been there....

Congrats Meik and Diane on what sounds like a fabulous demo!

Ron Tisdale

Charles Mahan
5th May 2003, 20:14
Better watch it Dan. You almost said something nice about Iai. :D

Sounds like it was a great event. Wish it had been a little closer to home.

Brian Dunham
5th May 2003, 20:43
I too would like to thank Meik and Diane(and their assistants) for a wonderful demo. It was a great way to spend a beautiful day.

Thanks again,
Brian Dunham

Meik Skoss
5th May 2003, 23:02
Kochira koso (which means, more or less, same here). We had an absolutely marvelous time after the demonstration. Thank you all, Dan, Matt, Brian, et alia, for the chance to talk budo -- I *hope* I was at least semi-coherent by the end, there, and just hang out with all youse guyse (a little Jersey-ben there).

I really enjoyed getting to meet and talk with people there. We'd like to go back again just to see more of the town, too. For sure... Worcester has some fascinating architecture and there are lots of things happening there all the time. It may be "out beyond the black stump" as the Ockers say, but it's really quite a place. Best part, though, is the people.

Again, thanks. You really know how to show folks a good time!

John J. Montes
5th May 2003, 23:12
to Meik Skoss....what ever happened to New York...come on down....I know that there would be a large number of people interested in seeing your love of the art

Diane Skoss
5th May 2003, 23:26
My thanks too to everyone in Worcester (especially Dan and Matt!) who were so hospitable and fun to be around. I really enjoyed our visit! Also, thanks to the Worcester Art Museum for inviting us and providing both the means and lovely venue.

Cheers!

Diane Skoss

Dave Lowry
28th June 2004, 20:35
Koryu bugei, the classical martial arts of Japan, will be the feature and main performances of this year’s St. Louis Japanese Festival.
As part of the 30th annual celebration of the Festival, which occurs this Labour Day weekend (4,5, & 6 September), representatives of five different koryu will be on hand to demonstrate these arts, probably the most extensive public presentation of them in the United States.
The Japanese Festival is held in St. Louis at the Missouri Botanical Garden, home of the Seiwa-en, an 11-acre formal Japanese garden.

Scheduled are demonstrations of Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto ryu, Yagyu Shinkage ryu, Araki ryu, Toda-ha Buko ryu, and Shinto Muso ryu, along with some of the ryu attached to the Shinto Muso ryu, such as Isshin ryu and Uchida ryu.

Those demonstrating are all senior level practitioners of each of these ryu, all of whom hold various advanced licences in them. Among them will be several names familiar to anyone interested in these classical arts: Phil and Nobuko Relnick, Ellis Amdur, Larry Bieri, and Meik and Diane Skoss.

Three one-hour demonstrations are scheduled in the Schoenberg Auditorium at the Missouri Botanical Garden, with different ryu presented each day. Additionally, weather permitting, three demonstrations will also take place outdoors at the MBG.

The Japanese Festival also includes numerous other events, like Bon odori, taiko drumming, displays of ikebana and bonsai, along with Japanese food, beer, and sake.

George Kohler
28th June 2004, 20:41
I wish I could go, but that will be about the time my wife and I will have a new baby girl. Have fun Mr. Lowry, Mr. Amdur, Mr. Skoss, and Mrs. Skoss.

Mitch Saret
29th June 2004, 21:35
It's been a couple of years since I was there, but I plan on attending this year. Do you happen to have a schedule of events?

Or know the link to get one?

Another interesting event is the tea ceremony in the tea house on the island. It was an extra charge event, but worth it if you have never seen it.

George Kohler
1st July 2004, 15:49
Mr. Lowry,

If you don't mind, I going to leave a copy of this thread in the "Seminar Anouncements" Forum. It may get lost in the Member's Lounge with the amount of posts that come in here.

Dave Lowry
1st July 2004, 18:50
Mr. Kohler,
Thank you. A request was made for a schedule. Below is how it looks at this point. Obviously, some readers would like to know which ryu are presented at what time but we have not worked that out yet. We will probably try to present three ryu in each Auditorium session. If there is any interest, I will try to post a more exact schedule later in the summer.

SATURDAY—
12:30-1:30 Koryu Bugei (Schoenberg Auditorium)
1:00-2:00 Japanese Karate (Lehman Lawn)
2:30-4:00 Koryu (Knolls)
5:00-6:00 Judo (Lehman Lawn)

SUNDAY
10:00-11:00 Aikido (Lehman Lawn)
12:30-1:30 Japanese Karate (Lehman Lawn)
1:30-2:30 Koryu Bugei (Knolls)
2:30-3:30 Kendo (Lehman Lawn)
4:00-5:00 Koryu Bugei ( Shoenberg Auditorium)

MONDAY
11:30-12:30 Koryu Bugei (Shoenberg Auditorium)
1:30-2:30 Kendo (Lehman Lawn)
3:00-4:00 Judo (Lehman Lawn)

George Kohler
1st July 2004, 19:12
Moved as requested.

Mekugi
2nd July 2004, 02:42
Dave are you going to be in this?

Are you going to have tapes up for sale on e-budo, in which the proceeds would go to the Japanese Cultural Society or the Botanical Gardens? (nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink say-no-more).

Dave Lowry
3rd July 2004, 18:04
Mr. Ebert,
Yes, I will be participating.

No plans at this time to video the demonstrations, though visitors of course are free to do so. If so, my part will be played by Tom Cruise.

Cordially,

Oniyama
3rd July 2004, 20:26
Hello Dave,

Is there a web site for this event?

Thanks,
John

Mekugi
4th July 2004, 02:32
Please call me Russ!

If I'm not mistaken this sounds like the first event of it's kind (at least in my generation) within the continental USA. This many big names from Koryu Bujutsu at one public event is a rare experience and the spectators are in for a real treat.

It certainly beats the living snot out of the Oregon Sakura Matsuri.

Please convince the cultural society to tape it for posterity!! It should be simply amazing.

Incidentally, the part of "Dave Lowry" played by Tom Cruise is good casting...kudos to your agent. :p

-R

Originally posted by Dave Lowry
Mr. Ebert,
Yes, I will be participating.

No plans at this time to video the demonstrations, though visitors of course are free to do so. If so, my part will be played by Tom Cruise.

Cordially,

Arman
4th July 2004, 04:47
Well, let's not forget that Mr. Cruise reportedly spent MONTHS practicing to become an expert with the sword. So. . .Mr. Lowry might commend Mr. Cruise for the demo for more reasons than his hollywood looks. :p

Best regards,
Arman Partamian

Dave Lowry
7th August 2004, 02:40
All,
I have been asked to post the schedule for budo at the upcoming Japanese Festival. There may be some changes in the particular ryu demonstrated at the times given, but this should be the way things go.
Note: KSR=Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto ryu. YSR=Yagyu Shinkage ryu, Buko ryu=Toda-ha Buko ryu. SMR=Shinto Muso ryu. Fuzoku ryu=ryu attached to SMR, e.g. Isshin ryu, Uchida ryu, etc.

SATURDAY—
12:30-1:30 Koryu Bugei (Schoenberg Auditorium) KSR, YSR, Araki ryu
1:00-2:00 Japanese Karate (Lehman Lawn)
2:30-4:00 Koryu (Knolls) SMR, Fuzoku ryu, Buko ryu
5:00-6:00 Judo (Lehman Lawn)

SUNDAY
12:30-1:30 Japanese Karate (Lehman Lawn)
1:30-2:30 Koryu Bugei (Knolls) Araki ryu, YSR, SMR, KSR
2:30-3:30 Kendo (Lehman Lawn)
4:00-5:00 Koryu Bugei ( Shoenberg Auditorium)SMR, Buko ryu, Fuzoku

MONDAY
11:30-12:30 Koryu Bugei (Shoenberg Auditorium)KSR, YSR, Buko ryu
1:30-2:30 Kendo (Lehman Lawn)
3:00-4:00 Judo (Lehman Lawn)

Cordially,

cguzik
24th August 2004, 19:23
Dave,

Can you tell us whether multiple demonstrations for the same ryu are planned to be different topics, or similar demonstrations repeated on different days?

This information would be helpful to those of us who might come in from out of town in planning our itineraries.

Thanks,

Chris

Ellis Amdur
24th August 2004, 20:28
Steve Bowman and my presentations of Araki-ryu and Buko-ryu are going to be mostly different kata in each demo.

Best

Dave Lowry
25th August 2004, 21:28
Dear Mr. Guzik,
Most of the demonstrations have not been planned in that detail yet. It has been my experience that such planning often takes place about ten minutes before the actual event.
I would think the variety of ryu being demonstrated would be sufficiently broad to hold the interest of the average e-budo member who comes, even if kata are repeated at different times.

Incidentally, if you are coming from out of town, a caveat: Do not try "St. Louis style" pizza, no matter what you are told. Widely celebrated by the locals, it is an entirely inedible concoction, the relationship to real pizza being approximately what the relationship a Taco Bell chilito has with Mexican cuisine.

Cordially,

elder999
26th August 2004, 04:36

Incidentally, if you are coming from out of town, a caveat: Do not try "St. Louis style" pizza, no matter what you are told. Widely celebrated by the locals, it is an entirely inedible concoction, the relationship to real pizza being approximately what the relationship a Taco Bell chilito has with Mexican cuisine.

Cordially,

Wish I could make it.....

You can't go too wrong with barbecue in St. Louis, though....I totally agree with you about the "pizza," being a total New Yorker pizza snob, albeit one with functional taste buds.

Mekugi
26th August 2004, 10:10

Cordially,

Is that like comparing Budweiser to "Red Hook"? How is the beer scene there, while I'm at it?

Harry Ravelo
26th August 2004, 11:31
Dear all,

Wow!!!! So many big names together..... wish I could be there too..

I agree with Mr. Ebert, if the possibility of taping it arouses, it should be a very precious archive for any commited bugeiha to have.
If nobody wants to "sacrifice", I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve in the department of filming... I would kindly oblige ;)

Good luck to all participants.

Sincirely from the bottom of Africa,

John Connolly
1st September 2004, 18:58
I am a St. Louis native, although I haven't lived there since 1991, I visit at least 2x a year. The pizza thing is true. It is well loved by the locals, but can't compare to NY or Chicago pizza. There are, however, a few local joints that do a good facsimile of NY style pizza.

The best local brew is Schlafly's varieties of beer. It is an old brewery, reinvigorated by microbrew enthusiasts in the last couple of years. Good stuff.

Stuff to try in St. Louis:

Toasted ravioli.

Amighetti's sandwiches (on the Hill, the local traditionally Italian neighborhood).

Local small donut shop donuts (there are a million of these joints, and they're all better than Krispy Kreme).

St. Louis BBQ, similar to KC BBQ, but sweeter and smokier.

Also, if you've got kids with you, or are just a kid at heart PLEASE visit the City Museum, one of the coolest, wierdest places around (with a cute little log cabin bar for the grown ups).

And going up into the Arch is cheesy, but also a genuinely freaky experience, with rocking and rolling, egg shaped elevators.

For nightlife, theaters, and various restaurants, check out the U City/Delmar Loop, the South Grand Corridor, and the Washington Ave. club/warehouse district.

Have fun. I wish I could get back for the demo. I hope it is a great success!

Joseph Svinth
17th September 2004, 06:35
If perchance you make it to the St. Louis Library, note that this is the centennial year of the 1904 World's Fair. Said fair commemorated Lewis and Clark, and was supposed to have occurred in 1903, but there were cost overruns. Things you might know today introduced at that fair include peanut butter and ice cream cones.

Besides Giant Beaupre, the world's tallest man (8'2"; he died while exhibiting at the fair, and because his parents couldn't afford to ship him home, his corpse ended up on display), there were also various foreign exhibits. The Filipinos were dressed up as headhunters, no matter that they came from Manila, and there was of course a Japan Pavilion.

Seigo Arai, a future leader of the Issei community in Texas, was among the fellows who built the Japanese pavilion for the 1904 fair, and I'm betting that there was a judo exhibition somewhere in there. Maybe kendo, too. Somebody would need to check the papers to be sure.

Another St. Louis link to the JMA of that period include Martha Blow Wadsworth training in judo in DC with Mrs. Yamashita. Meanwhile, Wadsworth's sister, Susan Blow, was a pioneer in the Kindergarten movement in the USA. Going the other direction, I believe that this was the same Blow family that originally owned Dred Scott.

Walker
17th September 2004, 18:17
So, you are saying kindergarten Blow's... :D

Joseph Svinth
18th September 2004, 04:59
At least I didn't say that Kindergarten sucks.

BTW, have they lowered the price any on beer at the St. Louis airport? Last time I went there was maybe 15 years ago, and Bud was about five bucks a bottle.

Dave Lowry
22nd September 2004, 22:04
Mr. Svinth is characteristically correct and thorough in his note on St. Louis. The Japanese Pavilion was a popular part of the 1904 World’s Fair apparently. It may be of some interest that almost nothing remains of the Japanese exhibit; local legend has it that many of the objects on display there found their way into the homes of professors at a nearby university. Indeed, some intriguing artefacts do show up from time to time at estate sales in homes in the area. All that remains are a waterfall from the garden at the pavilion, which is at the west side of Forest Park, and a wrought iron lantern that we discovered by accident in storage at the Missouri Botanical Garden and which is now in the archives there. (Additionally, Kansas Citians will recognise the life-sized bronze eagle along Ward Parkway, which was a part of the original World’s Fair Japanese exhibit.)
We had more than six hours of koryu embu at the Festival. Attendance this year was around 30,000 for the entire three-day event.
My warmest thanks to all of you who came from some distance to see the demonstrations. I was approached by people from Texas, Washington, DC, Chicago, Denver, and Philadelphia, all of whom noted they had read about the event on this site.
If you enjoyed these demonstrations or if you would like to see them happen again next year I would urge you to write to the Director of Public Events at the Missouri Botanical Garden, Mr. Jim Kalkbrenner: jim.kalkbrenner@mobot.org
(Not sure what the price of the local brew would be at the airport. I have never been that thirsty.)

Cordially,

Diane Skoss
9th December 2004, 20:33
Hi all,

I finally got photos (87 of them!) from the Japanese Matsuri posted at Koryu.com.

They're at http://koryu.com/new.html.

Enjoy!

Diane Skoss

P.S. Dave's got a new book out too! Details on site.

Earl Hartman
9th December 2004, 20:55
Very cool pix, Diane. Thanks.

nicojo
9th December 2004, 23:41
It was extremely frustrating to be a teacher this Labor Day; mine was spent sorting out the usual beginning of semester stuff instead of getting over to St. Louis where I really wanted to be. Hopefully I will be able to attend next year, if it's on again. TY for the pictures, they are fantastic! My appreciation and admiration for all participants.

Eric Montes
9th December 2004, 23:57
Thanks Diane!

Looks like an interesting time was had by all.

Eric

Mekugi
10th December 2004, 03:20
Kudos Mrs. Skoss!!

Kim Taylor
7th July 2006, 15:13
Here is the GSJSA instructional program for July 14-16 (next weekend) 2006

Friday noon-5pm Niten Ichiryu
Friday evening 7pm iaido instructional practices
Saturday 9-5pm Qigong, Jodo, Katori Shinto Ryu, Tanjo as well as Kyudo
Sunday 9-5 Qigong, Mugai Ryu iaido, Toda-ha Buko-ryu naginata as well as Kyudo

Details are at http://www.uoguelph.ca/~iaido/gsjsa_ma.htm

Hope to see you all there.
Kim Taylor

Kusarigama
22nd April 2007, 00:52
Greetings,

We are please to announce that Katsuse Yoshimitsu Kagehiro, the 15th Generation Headmaster of the Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo, will visiting the United States again this year during the first week of September 2007.

The 2007 USA Suio Ryu Gasshuku will be held in the Anaheim and Irvine, California areas during his visit. The exact locations, dates, times and costs will be announced as soon as they are available.

There are Suio Ryu Branch Dojos in California, Washington State, Ohio (Columbus), Nebraska (Omaha) and Rhode Island (Providence).

Please visit our website for more information about Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo:

http://www.suioryu-usa.org/

Kusarigama
31st May 2007, 23:43
Greetings,

Details about the Gasshuku, such as dates, times, costs and registration information can now be found on our website:

http://www.suioryu-usa.org/

Kusarigama
29th August 2007, 22:24
The 2007 USA Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo Gasshuku begins this Saturday, September 1, 2007.

Please visit our website for more information.

Kopiller
5th September 2007, 22:26
Godd luck and happy training, best wishes from the suio ryu group of spain!

morpheus
31st August 2010, 17:58
Once again koryu bugei will be demonstrated at the Missouri Botanical Garden in St. Louis, Missouri. The event will take place September 4 - September 6, 2010.

Arts demonstrated will include: Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto ryu, Yagyu Shinkage ryu, Toda ha Buko ryu, Takeuchi ryu and Shinto Muso ryu. Those demonstrating include: Phil Relnick, Nobuko Relnick, Meik Skoss, Diane Skoss, Wayne Muromoto and Dave Lowry. Those listed participants are all licensed members (some with full authority) of the ryuha they are demonstrating. This is a wonderful opportunity, as this is one of the larger demonstrations outside of Japan, to witness these fabulous arts.

Please see the attached link for additional details.

http://www.mobot.org/events/japanesefestival/events/koryu.asp

Hope to see you there.

wreddock
31st August 2010, 22:03
I'd like to get my brother and his dojo to attend. Do you have any photos or video links from last years demonstration I can send him.
Thanks

morpheus
1st September 2010, 13:25
I have seen video on youtube of the gendai arts that are demonstrated but I have not seen any on the koryu bugei. I have some photos from last year somewhere I will see if I can locate them and make some of them available. I know there are photos on koryu.com from a couple of years back.

drop
11th September 2010, 08:16
i was there and saw the last half of their demo on Saturday. It was spectacular!

It makes it all the more confusing and frustrating though, because i couldn't find any info on who was presenting. No mention of schools, or dojos or whatever. The Japanese Festival's program notes didn't say ANYTHING about them.

What can one do if they found the demonstration fascinating and beautiful and was looking for more info or perhaps even training with them?
i mean, they were AWESOME. Surely i wasn't the only one hungry for more info.
(in fact, googling Koryu Bugei after their demo is how i got to this site)

All very mysterious and strange!

- Scott Sandifer

Walker
13th September 2010, 16:59
I don't know who was involved this year, but I do think Meik and Diane Skoss are usually involved every year. Their website, which is sort of information central for koryu matters in the English language, is http://www.koryu.com

wmuromoto
14th September 2010, 00:52
Scott,

I was one of the presenters. After our embu, we fielded some queries from interested audience members. Usually, before a group did a demo, we introduced ourselves and explained what was going to happen...and then we went at it, with just a bit of info added in now and then during the demo so as not to lose too many people.

The groups involved:
Tenshin Sho Katori Shinto-ryu, Yagyu Shinkage-ryu kenjutsu, Shinto Muso-ryu jo, Toda-ha Bukko-ryu Naginata, Takenouchi-ryu kobudo.

For each of the three days, we did something different, just for the heck of it. Phil Relnick sensei of TSKSR often told his students what they were doing on THAT day, just before they went up to demo. "Just think of it like a usual practice session," he said.

For us, Takenouchi-ryu, on Saturday we showed some Bitchuden iaibatto, then Sunday we did some TR jutte, and on Sunday we did some TR iaijutsu, along with the usual kogusoku, grappling and sword stuff. I'm not sure how the audience took it (thanks for the comments) but among us, we had a blast watching each other and then eating and talking together afterwards and comparing notes and ideas.

I had never seen Ikkaku-ryu kusarigama (an adjunct ryu to Shinto Muso-ryu jo) until then. It was impressive.

Wayne Muromoto

wmuromoto
14th September 2010, 00:58
I put some photos in two Facebook albums. I think you can see these public photos here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=83702&id=1170071417

and here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=83924&id=1170071417

Enjoy, but don't ask me to "friend" you. I'm already way too friendly.

Wayne

Stefffen
14th September 2010, 09:17
Thanks for the pictures. Looks like it was a great event.

wmuromoto
14th September 2010, 09:20
One correction: The kusarigama ryu is Isshin-ryu, not Ikkaku-ryu. Another bonehead mistake by me.

Wayne Muromoto

drop
14th September 2010, 19:47
Wayne,

Well shoot. You're right. i should have gone up and talked to you guys.
(trying to make up for that gaff by clumsily posting questions here!)

So are those groups based in or around St. Louis?
Or are you spread out all over?

wmuromoto
14th September 2010, 19:56
Scott,

No problemo. Maybe guys wearing what looks like dresses and waving big sticks are intimidating to people, after all. We're either nuts or Scottish (a Scottish acquaintance of mine might say that's redundant...after she took me to a Highland Festival in Edinburgh, I would tend to agree). But next time, do come over to talk story after the demo's.

The groups are sort of spread out. Diane and Meik Skoss fly in from New Jersey. Phil Relnick and his wife Nobuko come in from Seattle, and Rev. Clark and I are from Hawaii. On the other hand, Dave Lowry, who is based in St. Louis, does Shinto Muso-ryu jo in Relnick sensei's jo group, and he has a group of folk in Missouri doing it with him, and guy that came up from Kentucky to help demo. Relnick sensei, who also heads the Iizasa family/Otake sensei's line of Katori Shinto-ryu had a student come in from Chicago to do iaijutsu. The festival is turning into the only time when a lot of us from different koryu get together to demo, talk story and have fun.

Wayne Muromoto

morpheus
14th September 2010, 22:24
Scott, to echo Wayne's earlier post there was a great deal of information shared prior to, during and after the demonstrations. There was limited information provided in the materials for the simple reason that to most people that information is irrelevant. With that said I am very glad you enjoyed what was presented. If you have any questions regarding the group in St. Louis feel free to ask. I am away from the computer the next few days but will send you a private message later this week if you would like additional information.

Wayne, greetings from Kentucky. I hope you made it home safely.

Jeff

wmuromoto
14th September 2010, 22:45
Jeff,

In the limited time we had, it was great to have met you. Meik and Dave both pointed you out to me as someone who came all the way from Kentucky to train, a very dedicated individual, all joking aside.

Wayne Muromoto

morpheus
16th September 2010, 22:58
Wayne,

Time is always so rushed at the festival. I would have loved to have gotten the opportunity to chat. Maybe next year!

Good to see you. I am going to tag myself in one of the pictures you have posted on Facebook.

Take care,

Jeff

wmuromoto
17th September 2010, 08:36
Jeff,

My wife willing, I'll see you next year!

Wayne Muromoto

Joseph Svinth
18th September 2010, 02:45
Wayne --

You need to reverse the plan. Next year, Honolulu, about February. I'm betting Jeff's wife will have zero problem agreeing to that gig, provided she gets to tag along.

morpheus
19th September 2010, 23:15
Joe,

I like the way you think!

Jeff

wmuromoto
21st September 2010, 01:21
Yeah, February. That's a hard time here. It rains a bit more. It can get to be cold...maybe 75 degrees F at night. Shiver. I end up wearing a sweater because it's so cold! Ha.

Wayne Muromoto

Joseph Svinth
21st September 2010, 02:24
Wayne --

Try this the other way.

Tell your wife that this year, you're taking her to Cleveland in February for vacation. Motel prices are good, you know.

Let us know how that goes over.

morpheus
30th August 2011, 18:52
The koryu bugei will again be demonstrated at this year's Japanese Festival at the Missouri Botanical Gardens in St. Louis.

The arts demonstrated will be Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto ryu, Yagyu Shinkage ryu, Shinto Muso ryu, Takeuchi ryu and Toda ha Buko ryu. Demonstrators will include Phil Relnick, Nobuko Relnick, Meik Skoss, Diane Skoss, Dave Lowry, Wayne Muromoto and Clark Watanabe.

Again this is an incredible opportunity to see these classical Japanese arts demonstrated in public.

Aside from the koryu demonstrations the garden itself is incredible and well worth the price of admission.

Hope some of you can make it out.

http://www.mobot.org/events/japanesefestival/events/koryu.asp

morpheus
6th September 2011, 20:44
The demonstrations were a big success again this year. We had to cut the demonstration short on Saturday due to rain - The Yagyu Shinkage ryu and Shinto Muso ryu portion of the demonstration were omitted. The Sunday demonstration drew a pretty large crowd and had demonstrations from all five groups. We had representatives from Massachusetts, Hawaii, New Jersey, Tennessee and Kentucky.

Jeff

BJohnson
10th August 2012, 02:11
FYI -- Missouri Botanical Gardens’ Japanese Festival: one of the few opportunities in the US to observe demonstrations by multiple koryu, coming up Labor Day weekend. http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/things-to-do/events/signature-events/japanese-festival/koryu-bugei.aspx

Last year’s arts included Shinto Muso-ryu (and allied arts), Tenshinsho-den Katori Shinto-ryu, Yagyu Shinkage-ryu, Takeuchi-ryu, and Toda-ha Buko-ryu.

-Beth

BJohnson
25th August 2012, 12:17
Reminder: next weekend! If bringing family members along is an issue, there's plenty more to see and do. Kids' activities, sumo demonstration, ikebana and bonsai, things to buy and eat. Plus, you can't beat the setting.

-Beth

morpheus
28th August 2012, 20:23
I can't agree with Beth enough. If you have never been to the festival I highly recommend you attend. The demonstrations alone are well worth the effort. However, when you combine the beauty of the location it becomes an event not to be skipped.

Sadly due to some personal reasons I will be unable to attend this year. This will be the first year in several years that I will be missing.

Jeff

Meitetsu
22nd September 2012, 13:17
Any video clips of the proceedings?

BJohnson
25th August 2013, 22:36
Labor Day Weekend:

It's that time of year again -- Koryu Bugei demonstration, Japanese Festival, Missouri Botanical Garden, St. Louis, Missouri (http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/things-to-do/events/signature-events/japanese-festival/koryu-bugei.aspx).

Scroll back up thread for the usual lineup -- as has been said, this is one of the few opportunities on this side of the globe to see this many koryu together in one place.

Plus, it's a fantastic garden, and a terrifically fun event.

-Beth

hatori
31st August 2013, 21:08
hi dears

some questions about koryu bujutsu "katori shinto ryu"

why is sageo of saya open in katori shinto ryu? not attaching to hakama(like Iaido)?

why your hand before nukitsuke over (Vice versa) be tsuka?
What is the reason?
is this reason practical?

thank you for answers

Nathan Scott
1st September 2013, 01:35
Hello Hessam

This question was already answered in the TSKSR thread.

BTW, you need to use your full real name either in your profile or signature per our forum rules.

Thanks,