PDA

View Full Version : Hello, E-Budo

Unjust Jester
11th August 2012, 21:24
Hello, everyone.

I am new here and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jesse Mathews, I'm 27 years old, and I live in Northeast GA, in the city of Athens.

When I was younger I had the privilege of studying Okinawan Shorin-Ryu karate. More recently I began studying traditional Taekwondo. While it is my interest to study Kendo and Iaido, financial restrictions currently apply, however, I hope those disciplines will be available to me in the future.

In short, I'm glad to be here, and I hope to learn a lot.

Thanks!

Steven Wood
12th August 2012, 00:52
Welcome, Jesse. You will find a wealth of information here.

There are certainly ways to make kendo and/or iaido affordable. If you are near a qualified teacher, which for us in the US is, in my opinion, the single most difficult obsticle to overcome, you should ask to watch a class and see where that leads you.

Joseph Svinth
12th August 2012, 05:02
Jesse --

E-budo has been very quiet the past few years. Social media has changed since the late 1990s, when E-budo had its first iterations. But there is truly a whole lot of material available via search.

To my knowledge, there isn't much kendo in Georgia. Atlanta and the university towns are probably your best bet. Try http://atlantakendoclub.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=5&Itemid=71&lang=en

For access to a wide variety of classes, you will need to consider moving to the San Francisco Bay Area, Toronto Metro, Los Angeles Metro, Vancouver BC Metro (Steveston in particular), or Seattle Metro. Depending on your political and religious views, a transition from a middle-sized town in Georgia to urban Left Coast is going to be either a) offputting or b) nirvana.

Steven Wood
12th August 2012, 13:39
I think there may be kendo right there in Athens taught by Shigeru Koyama. I'm sure you can do a google search and find out. Good Luck!

George Kohler
13th August 2012, 21:51
Welcome to E-Budo.

Unjust Jester
16th August 2012, 17:02
Thank you all for your replies!

Yes, Shigeru Koyama teaches Kendo here in Athens, GA at the Classic Martial Arts Club.

Your advice is sound, Steven, but I know the moment I visit and watch a class I will want to sign up. So I'm not planning on visiting quite yet, but I am planning on it. I'll need to take some side jobs first. ;)

Yes, I've noticed there isn't much activity here, Joseph. But that might not be too unfortunate. What I've seen in many of the topics (and in those engaged in them), is a lot of quality--and that's what counts.

Thanks again, everyone.

Unjust Jester
12th November 2013, 16:31
Hello again, Everyone. I have been inactive for quite a while, but plan on being a little more active.

Since I first joined and made my introduction, I have taken up Aikido. Having a basis in sword-work certainly drew my interest. I have been studying for the past year now, and continue to find the circular motions of Aikido very different from my native Karate. It has been, so far, an enriching experience that I plan on continuing.

See everyone around.

Cady Goldfield
13th November 2013, 02:26
Great to have you back! We look forward to your participation in the E-Budo discussions.

Ookami7
13th November 2013, 04:15
Welcome back!!! Glad your enjoying Aikido!!! Aikido has blade work in it but it is taught from Aikido persepictive!!!
That's not bad, however if you really want to learn sword work then you need to supplement it w/ Iaido, Kenjutsu, or kendo!!!
Each 1 teaches you different aspects!!! Good look w/ having the resources to pursue it!!! Have funand train hard!!!!

Cady Goldfield
13th November 2013, 04:24
I've moved this to the New Members Introduction forum. Although you're not a new member. this is more of a new introduction, so this is the place for it. :)