PDA

View Full Version : small business or training group?

razorback
24th March 2001, 22:24
I have been puzzling over a question for sometime now and I wondering if anyone would offer their advise.
I have a small Bujinkan/ Hoshinjutsu training group( 5 people) and we have recently moved our training hall and started improvements. With all the costs for drywall, insulation and lights etc. I was wondering if there was anyway to recover this money? This is my first endeavor into the small business world so i'm kinda at a loss.
Are there any books that would explain this? A friend mentioned something about being an entrepreneur. Is there anyone who is already doing this?

Thank you very much for any help you offer.

Sean Ambrose

Moko
25th March 2001, 08:27
Write me. Or ask Glenn about me then write me. I'll help ya. For inpiration got to www.ninjatrainingcenter.com Look at the photos.

Yojimbo558
30th March 2001, 02:40
Hi Sean,

Alot of people run into this question of do we do a training group or do we go for the dojo.

Several years ago I looked at that question myself, and I opted to go for the training group.

When dealing with a dojo there's several things to look at.

1) Does your city promote business growth or does it shoot out taxes and high rents with the purpose of restricting growth?

2) It's not just a matter of $ per square feet...it's triple net. For those of you who don't know what that is, in addition to paying whatever $ per square feet you pay an additional $ per square feet on the same place which is supposed to account for your trash pickup and ground maintenance fee's.

3) When you rent, it's not the owners responsibility to pass the fire code it's yours...this is why strip malls are so popular, the owner puts up a skeleton structure & all of his tenants bring it up to code!

4) Jack Hoban at one of his Stockton, Ca seminars addressed the crowd telling all of us that we're better off with a training group over a dojo for the simple fact that without rent pressuring us...we'd avoid putting ourselves in a position where we might be tempted to sacrifice our standards and test someone beyond their ability for the sake of collecting rent money. This is what I opted for, as a result I'm able to focus on peoples progress as opposed to worrying about paying rent.

5) A favored solution for those who go the dojo route is finding out who among there students is into contracting and offering them a deal in exchange for work...thus saving themselves a bundle in building or renovation costs. There's a jujutsu instructor I knew who used to have 3 students who were contractors...he was set...if none of your students are currently contractors, then you might want to contact some and see if they want some lessons in exchange for work.

Best of luck,

Eric Bookin