PDA

View Full Version : Shugyo?

Hayate
25th March 2001, 01:51
Hello everybody,it's been a while since our last chat.
Well i would like to "hear" your opinion about shugyo,and how is it made possible.
Is it possible or are we fooling ourselves?

Yamantaka
25th March 2001, 11:51
Originally posted by Hayate
Hello everybody,it's been a while since our last chat.
Well i would like to "hear" your opinion about shugyo,and how is it made possible.
Is it possible or are we fooling ourselves?

YAMANTAKA : What do you mean by SHUGYO? From what I know the word means just "rigorous practice" and was used also to signify the practice of some martial artists or warriors to travel the country, visiting dojo and training with other martial artists to improve their abilities.
I would like if you could clarify things a bit for me.
Best

Greg Jennings
25th March 2001, 17:09
Originally posted by Yamantaka

YAMANTAKA : What do you mean by SHUGYO? From what I know the word means just "rigorous practice" and was used also to signify the practice of some martial artists or warriors to travel the country, visiting dojo and training with other martial artists to improve their abilities.
I would like if you could clarify things a bit for me.
Best

If I remember correctly, shugyo by itself does not necessarily imply travelling/wandering. I think that is musha shugyo.

The "feeling" that I've taken from my Japanese language friends on shugyo is that it carries connotations of austerity, self denial, etc. That one sets oneself somewhat outside of normal everyday life in order to dedicate oneself more fully to one's chosen path.

Here are some personal thoughts on what Shugyo might entail in modern times:

Giving up career advancement to stay in a given location to train with one's Sensei.

Giving up prime time TV (Buffy The Vampire Slayer!) in order to practice jo and ken suburi and kata in the evenings.

Going to be bed hungry three nights a week because one has been at keiko and arrives home too late to eat dinner.

Rolling out of bed at 05:30 every Saturday morning to clean the dojo before 07:00 Saturday weapons class.

Giving up buying a sport bike so one can buy a new, larger mat for one's dojo.

Putting on one's best as Sensei's uke when visitors are in the dojo...despite having a painful injury or, food poisoning.

Uke-ing for Sensei at a seminar two days after having a golf-ball sized tumor removed from one's shoulder blade.

So, yes, I think shugyo is possible today.

Regards,