PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

goose710
11th August 2013, 16:11
Hello all, i just found this forum and hope to be able to contribute in some small way. I collect Nihonto, i make knives to keep busy, some in the Japanese way with Hamon, i am an avid pistol shooter , and hunt with long guns also. I'm trying to learn Iai, i'm by no means any good at it, yet.
Charles L. Grusovnik

Cady Goldfield
11th August 2013, 18:30
Welcome! You've probably already discovered E-Budo's Sword Arts forum, but if not, that's one you'll want to check out for starters. We look forward to your participation!

Ken-Hawaii
12th August 2013, 01:41
Welcome, Charles. We're starting a new forum so that new members can introduce themselves, so don't be surprised if your post disappears from this forum & ends up on that one.

Ken

pgsmith
12th August 2013, 22:48
Welcome Charles!

Who are you studying iai with?

goose710
14th August 2013, 00:27
Unfortunately having no acess to a dojo, or sensei, i'm ashamed to say from the internet and videos
yes i know, not the best, but i have a blunt sword to train, and almost never pick up and use my Nihonto.
i have james williams vid and another by dragon video also i down load various vids from the internet.

having been interested in the sword arts for years, and collected some Nihonto and modern swords as well i thought to put them to some use. i'm old so i have no illustions about being some ninja or modern samuri, just trying to keep fit aand mind busy.

I've made several tsuba for my modern swords and collect in a small way older tsuba

Charles L. Grusovnik

Cady Goldfield
14th August 2013, 01:38
There might be an iai study group within your reach. Someone in the Sword Arts forum may have a contact, if you post a query. Also, check the dojo-finder sub-forum in that section. Many schools and groups are not commercial and don't advertise.

goose710
14th August 2013, 20:28
Cady Goldfield
Your information is much appreciated, and will be acted upon!
I've seen one small advertisment for private instruction, but then lost and never found again.
your thoughts will renew my search.
Charles L. Grusovnik

Joseph Svinth
15th August 2013, 01:53
Also try here: http://www.euskf.com/Dojos.html

It is the list of Eastern USA kendo federation members. Teachers at the kendo clubs almost certainly know who does iaido.

goose710
24th August 2013, 11:17
Gentlemen
I'd like to thank you in motavating me to search harder for a Iai dojo,
I've found one that is relitivly close to me and in all my searches on line never came up !
they teach Muso Shinden-ryu
I'm going to visit them very soon and join and begin a long jurney i think.
Charles L. Grusovnik

Cady Goldfield
24th August 2013, 16:57
That's great news. The teacher appears when the student is ready. :)
Enjoy your journey, and please post on E-Budo to let us know how your training is going (and to participate in discussions too, of course!).

andy.m
27th August 2013, 14:03
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Richard Scardina
31st August 2013, 17:55
Welcome, I have returned

Cady Goldfield
1st September 2013, 02:15
Welcome, I have returned

Welcome back!

Richard Scardina
2nd September 2013, 02:27
Welcome back!

Thanks,but I havent trained in awhile. Once the dojo closed I was attending, along with a new job, growing family, time is now a issue

Cady Goldfield
2nd September 2013, 03:29
Thanks,but I havent trained in awhile. Once the dojo closed I was attending, along with a new job, growing family, time is now a issue

That's understandable, and that's life. Training is something you can always go back to later on when circumstances permit. In the meantime, keeping a connection on the budo forums is a good way to keep your mind involved even when your body doesn't have time or a dojo.

Richard Scardina
2nd September 2013, 23:40
That's understandable, and that's life. Training is something you can always go back to later on when circumstances permit. In the meantime, keeping a connection on the budo forums is a good way to keep your mind involved even when your body doesn't have time or a dojo.

Good point. But i have yet to find a qualifying dojo within my area

Cady Goldfield
2nd September 2013, 23:58
There may be study groups that don't advertise, where new members are brought in by recommendation or invitation. Don't give up yet - you never know. And, you might eventually come across someone on E-Budo who can connect you.

Richard Scardina
3rd September 2013, 01:03
I found a group at a University with a instructor having a good lineage, but I a cannot be allowed unless I become a collegiate student

Cady Goldfield
3rd September 2013, 01:33
Yeah, that's typical.

Another possibility -- the instructor might be talked into training with you (for a fee) outside the university, and maybe even get a small study group together (school staff/faculty, people from the surrounding community).

Richard Scardina
3rd September 2013, 02:54
Tried that. This instructor has little time outside of University life. It makes sense that some qualified instructors are at Universities because, a education institute such as that, hold high standards

Cady Goldfield
3rd September 2013, 03:00
Looks like you might have to take the cheapest continuing-ed course and get a student ID!
Or, try something outside the box and approach the director of student activities or the director of facilities (of the school gym) and see if, for a fee, you could train with the club. If you plead your case of desperation to train with this lineage and that no other opportunities exist within driving distance, show you have your own health insurance (liability is probably one of the issues schools cite for not letting outsiders participate), you might be able to get them to bend some rules. Getting an endorsement and support (in writing, or in person) from the instructor could sway them in the right direction. You never know.

Richard Scardina
3rd September 2013, 18:25
Looks like you might have to take the cheapest continuing-ed course and get a student ID!
Or, try something outside the box and approach the director of student activities or the director of facilities (of the school gym) and see if, for a fee, you could train with the club. If you plead your case of desperation to train with this lineage and that no other opportunities exist within driving distance, show you have your own health insurance (liability is probably one of the issues schools cite for not letting outsiders participate), you might be able to get them to bend some rules. Getting an endorsement and support (in writing, or in person) from the instructor could sway them in the right direction. You never know.
Interesting

The student ID-ed course was not the option, financially

Haven't thought of the instructor endorsement. That particular collegiate instructor has respect for my instructor-(no longer in the area) when I dropped his name.

And we got off on the right foot. I just didn't go in there "expecting anything" and with utmost, genuine respect

He and I never considered the liability issue. We just thought we were restricted by a non-student regulation

On another note, I can barely determine the pic of your avatar-What is it exactly

Cady Goldfield
4th September 2013, 01:10
Interesting

The student ID-ed course was not the option, financially

Haven't thought of the instructor endorsement. That particular collegiate instructor has respect for my instructor-(no longer in the area) when I dropped his name.

And we got off on the right foot. I just didn't go in there "expecting anything" and with utmost, genuine respect

He and I never considered the liability issue. We just thought we were restricted by a non-student regulation

On another note, I can barely determine the pic of your avatar-What is it exactly

The avatar is a photo of a kabuto with an octopus motif. Pretty funky, no? I've seen them with deer antlers and other animal parts or shapes, but never one that incorporated a mollusk with tentacles.

Good luck with the training. I hope that you do get to join the collegiate group as some kind of special permission.

Richard Scardina
4th September 2013, 03:56
The avatar is a photo of a kabuto with an octopus motif. Pretty funky, no? I've seen them with deer antlers and other animal parts or shapes, but never one that incorporated a mollusk with tentacles.

Good luck with the training. I hope that you do get to join the collegiate group as some kind of special permission.

I thought that it was that combo. I figured my eyes were playing tricks

The paradox of having decades of experience is too much scrutiny upon several 3, 4th, 5th generations of martial art instructors who were in diapers when I was at my peak.

Now, don't misconstrue, these "youngsters" have skills, but they quickly branched off upon obtaining their cherished black belts in order to
open up a school and teach"

Robert Cheshire
6th September 2013, 16:30
Welcome and happy hunting. There is a vast wealth of knowledge on here so feel free to ask and reseach to your hearts content!

goose710
15th October 2013, 22:40
Gentlemen
Having taken my first lesson at the new Dojo, i have to admit (in the words of Arnold ) "I'm Old!!" everyone there is younger , and more graceful , also Sezsa is painful on my knees, as an avid bicycle rider my leg muscles are to big to fully kneel with my butt touching my heels! feels like my knees are gonna POP!! I'm trying streching exsercizes to get my butt down so i can do the first form (shohat-to) assighned me.
Charles Grusovnik

Cady Goldfield
15th October 2013, 23:44
A lot of us here are "old," so there will be a lot of sympathetic groans from the lot of us. Especially the seiza "issues."
Just take it slow and don't try to do stuff that you know your body isn't yet conditioned for. Gradually stretch those quads. And don't worry about "graceful." Stick with working the basics, and eventually you'll amaze yourself (and others) that the "old guy" has grace.

You might try posting a thread on the "Budo and the Body" forum to ask for some tips on how to condition yourself for seiza. A lot of folks here probably have some good advice, especially in dealing with older knees.

Good luck, and congrats for having the courage to take the plunge into a new discipline.

Richard Scardina
16th October 2013, 05:00
A lot of us here are "old," so there will be a lot of sympathetic groans from the lot of us. Especially the seiza "issues."
Just take it slow and don't try to do stuff that you know your body isn't yet conditioned for. Gradually stretch those quads. And don't worry about "graceful." Stick with working the basics, and eventually you'll amaze yourself (and others) that the "old guy" has grace.

You might try posting a thread on the "Budo and the Body" forum to ask for some tips on how to condition yourself for seiza. A lot of folks here probably have some good advice, especially in dealing with older knees.

Good luck, and congrats for having the courage to take the plunge into a new discipline.

And some of us are "ancient"

goose710
12th June 2014, 18:36
Gentlemen
Having completed eight months of Iai-do, i'm amazed at where i started and where i am ! Plus where i must go!!
The scool i joined is imho top shelf, the teacher (sensi) is REALLY patient with this old guy! we train in a relaxed atmosphere, no great pressure, and no matter how tired or worn from the days stress, i leave the dojo feeling refreashed(but tired good tired) and feel i acomplished something !!!
Charles L. Grusovnik

Cady Goldfield
12th June 2014, 19:30
So good to hear from you after you've found a school and started training! Congratulations on your progress, and best wishes for your continued joy in your chosen art.

cxt
12th June 2014, 19:45
Goose

Glad to hear it!

Its a process----think what you will be able to do a year from now.