PDA

View Full Version : Correction of Several Errors in HIPS

Ellis Amdur
25th September 2013, 07:45
I have added a link to a small pdf where I've rewritten several passages in the first edition of Hidden in Plain Sight, thereby correcting several errors in the text. They will, of course, be correctly incorporated in the next print run. You will find this, entitled Hidden in Plain Sight: Errata (http://www.edgework.info/articles.html) about halfway down the page. I am indebted to several people who caught my use of an erroneous translation in my discussion of a passage in the Kojiki, and I am particularly indebted to Josh Reyer for illuminating the Yagyu Shinkage-ryu certificate that Ueshiba received from Takeda Sokaku.

Andrew S
25th September 2013, 09:14
Will the second edition be available in digital (Kindle) format?

Ellis Amdur
26th September 2013, 01:01
Well, first of all, the 2nd edition will not be out for a long time. I did a print run of 2000 and I've got quite a ways to go before they are sold out. If I self-publish again (as opposed to selling to a publisher, as I've done with my two previous books), I don't think I'll go through Kindle. HIPS has a lot of photos, and the quality on Kindle is poor. Also, Kindle is a very easy hack. One book can end up on 100's of people's computers. OTOH, I am currently getting my de-escalation books converted to the IBook format, which is pretty hard to copy. If this works out, I may decide to place HIPS on that format. It's not super-high on my priority list, but I'll have an answer sometime in the next year.

Cady Goldfield
26th September 2013, 01:15
I hadn't thought about the hack factor on Kindle. Didn't realize it was so vulnerable -- must be losing millions in lost sales.
Andrew, there are some ways in which technology just can't match a good, old-fashioned paper book. For one thing, you can't get a signed, hanko'd addition of HIPS on a Kindle.

Andrew S
26th September 2013, 08:30
True, I love real books as opposed to digital, but with ever-decreasing space on my bookshelf (SWMBO throwing stuff out, including bookshelves), digital is becoming a realistic option.
I didn't know about the hacking issues -I hate to think of independent authors losing sales.

TonyU
26th September 2013, 16:11
True, I love real books as opposed to digital, ....
So do I, but only as it relates to martial arts or tactics as I collect them. Fictional books and the like I get digital. I'm also running out of room on my shelves so what I'm currently doing is inventorying them and I set up a spreadsheet and then storing them in my attic.

Ellis Amdur
16th October 2013, 17:52
After some further consultation with Yagyu Shinkage-ryu practitioners, Josh Reyer and Dave Lowry, I've made some further corrections in the text (http://www.edgework.info/articles.html). The link can be found on this page.

In the process, I've compared films of the YSR kata in question and Ueshiba Morihei's sword work in the Asahi Shinbun film of 1935. There are no apparently elements of YSR sword in what Ueshiba is doing there. In Ueshiba's oft-quoted, "In aiki we do it this way. . ." statement, I believe that it is clear that, in many cases, he merely saw a form or movement he liked, and used it as a "container" for his own ideas. In many cases (excepting Daito-ryu), his study of other martial arts was almost certainly superficial, like a pinch of herbs in a large pot of stew.

Ellis Amdur