PDA

View Full Version : Icons not showing.

Brian Owens
24th December 2013, 03:42
When I log in, the icons next to the thread titles don't show. Once I enter a sub-forum I can see the "envelope" icons, but the "Bu" icons don't show anywhere.

Is anyone else having this problem?

P.S. I just discovered that in the post entry page the "Post Icons" below the text input window are also not showing.

Cady Goldfield
24th December 2013, 04:29
I have that problem when I use Explorer, but not with Chrome. It may be something in Explorer's security stuff that isn't allowing certain kinds of cookies. I have also gotten warning messages from Explorer when I try to open pdf files coming from a system that Explorer identifies as "incompatible" with its security parameters.

Brian Owens
24th December 2013, 09:29
Great; thanks a lot Microsoft, for constantly changing my software without asking me!

Cady Goldfield
24th December 2013, 15:03
I think there's an option in your computer's control panel to opt out of Microsoft automatically updating your software. There are options to have them notify you but not upload without your actively clicking on a consent box, and another to download new updates but not install them without your consent.

Brian Owens
28th December 2013, 03:58
Well, whatever was causing it, it's back to normal on my screen now. Since I haven't changed any settings it either wasn't IE-related or another unsolicited IE update fixed it.

Cady Goldfield
28th December 2013, 12:43
Yes, mine "fixed" itself too. Either the glitches were repaired in Microsoft, or Anders made an adjustment to the E-Budo site software.

Brian Owens
30th December 2013, 02:14
Yes, mine "fixed" itself too.

It didn't last; they're gone again. :(

Cady Goldfield
30th December 2013, 15:20
Yup. I'm guessing it's a Microsoft glitch, but I'll ask Anders whether there's anything he can tweak on our site that might help.

pgsmith
2nd January 2014, 19:31
That's very odd! I use IE 8 (it's what we're allowed at work) and I've never experienced the problems you are describing.

Brian Owens
3rd January 2014, 05:41
That's very odd! I use IE 8 (it's what we're allowed at work) and I've never experienced the problems you are describing.

I'm experiencing it right now. :(

[Edit: It's worse than I thought; I added a frown emoticon after the sentence above, and attached a screen shot, and I can't see either one here. Can you?]

pgsmith
3rd January 2014, 15:13
I'm experiencing it right now. :(

[Edit: It's worse than I thought; I added a frown emoticon after the sentence above, and attached a screen shot, and I can't see either one here. Can you?]

I can see both the screen shot and the emoticon. Screen shot has no Icons though. :)

There's got to be some setting in IE that's not right. Is it coming up in Compatability view? There's an icon at the top next to theaddress bar that looks like a torn sheet of paper (sort of). Try clicking that.

Cady Goldfield
3rd January 2014, 16:26
Bingo! Clicking the compatibility option fixed it. Thanks Paul. Brian, if you don't have a Compatibility View Settings icon visible next to the address bar, it will be an option in "Tools" - and the icon for that is visible next to the address bar.

Brian Owens
5th January 2014, 06:11
I can see both the screen shot and the emoticon. Screen shot has no Icons though. :) There's got to be some setting in IE that's not right. Is it coming up in Compatability view?

That was it! I didn't even think about CV, because I'd never had problems until recently. One of the automatic updates or security "fixes" must have affected it.