PDA

View Full Version : Strains and pains

Sam
27th March 2001, 12:08
I would like to ask for some general advice on how to treat minor injuries such as pulls and strains.

I understand that the use of cold is advisable to prevent swelling but for how long afterward is it advisable to use ice?

Also I heard that the use of warmth aids healing. When should this be applied and how?

Should you completely rest after an injury or is a small amout of light training beneficial?

Thanks very much!
Yours whilst trying to train through injury

Sam Benson
Kyogikan, Sheffield UK

Yojimbo558
30th March 2001, 03:29
Hi Sam,

When should you apply heat? 24hrs after the injury. Yes the heat will help with the healing...how does it do that? By dialating the blood vessels and focusing blood flow to that area to help remove the lactic acid etc.

But when you first sprain something, that swelling is your bodies natural version of creating a cast to immobilize the injury. If you throw heat on it during this period the swelling will balloon well beyond what it normally would have. Ice & elevation will help minimize the swelling.

After 24 hours have passed you do a mix of heat & cold.

Eric Bookin

kunoichi24
30th March 2001, 05:52
If you want to treat swelling naturally, grape seed extract works great! Also, MSM is a great natural supplement for healing tendons and joints that have been injured. I had sprained my thumb during training one day - by the time I was done with the bottle of MSM, my thumb was healed, and has been doing great ever since.

Nicole :)

DJM
1st April 2001, 01:54
Nicole,
MSM??
Thanks,
David

kunoichi24
1st April 2001, 04:02
MSM is Methylsulfonylmethane - its a naturally occurring organic sulfur compound found in plant and animal tissues that is essential for optimum health. MSM helps to detoxify the body, nourishes hair, skin, nails; relieves pain and inflammation; reduces allergy problems; promotes gastrointestinal health; aids immune function; and there have been reports of benefits to patients with heartburn, arthritis, lung problems, migraines, and muscle pain. MSM is a derivative of dimethysulfoxide (DMSO), which has remarkable therapeutic properties - especially the healing of injuries.

(As taken from 'Prescription for Nutritional Healing' by Drs. Phyllis & James Balch)

Anything else? :D

Nicole Brooks

Joe Kras
3rd April 2001, 19:39
Originally posted by Sam

Should you completely rest after an injury or is a small amout of light training beneficial?

[/B]

In the old days (20 years ago) most doctors would have you completely rest while an injury was healing. I think that most Sports Medicine docs would agree that a small amount of light training is not harmful, and may even be slightly beneficial.

When connective tissue heals it first is laid down as an unorganized mass of tissue. Slowly, over time (about 3 months) the tissue reorganizes into bands that are parallel to the lines of stress, and thus much stronger. Although I don't think that there is literature to support this, one could theorize that lightly doing the moves that you would usually do would help to "inform" the tissue exactly what stresses it would need to resist.

That being said, I would indeed keep it light, and let your body be your guide. You don't want to work thru any sharp pain. This usually signals acute injury. But working thru a bit of the warm discomfort is usually OK.

***DON'T FORGET TO WARMUP AND STRETCH!***

This is something that those over 40 on this list probably know instinctively. Those that are younger must conciously do this, especially following injury.

Joe Kras