PDA

View Full Version : The Budo Teacher - Student Relationship

pboylan
25th February 2014, 15:27
After some conversations with friends and fellow budo students about the teacher - student relationship in the Japanese arts we practice, I realized just how different the relationship we have with your teachers is from the teacher - student relationships outside Japan, and I wrote this blog post about it. http://budobum.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-budo-teacher-student-relationship.html

Is your relationship with your teacher anything like the relationships I describe?

cxt
26th February 2014, 02:04
Good article

The idea that you have to put in the time and you are a reflection of the teacher/style would, perhaps, be viewed as more "normal" in generations past. I'm sure that my grandfather would have grasped it instantly and quite deeply......as would most people of his generation.

I'm not sure that "younger" folks would always have such a visceral response.

I'm sure that some would of course. :)

Carina Reinhardt
26th February 2014, 08:10
No, my relationship is completely different. But your blog post is very interesting, it gives us view about the great difference between japanese culture and european culture.

I have a good relation with my Sensei, I respect him very much for his instinctive knowledge of how he can deal with everyone and beside he can teach him aikido in and out of the dojo, maybe some of my colleagues are not realizing that their are learning more than just techniques. My sensei doesn't teach aikido to earn money, as he teaches in a gym and taekwondo dojo and, the owner gives him a little part of what we pay.
We celebrate birthdays and BBQ together and went to seminars outside of the island in groups of aprox 15 peers with our Sensei as kind of "dad", although he is younger as some of us. In our dojo everyone is welcome and all of us try to encourage the newbies to make them feel comfortable in it.