PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Koryu Sword Arts in Northern Virginia/DC

DKnowltronics
22nd May 2014, 20:58
Hi all,

I am interested in investigating kenjutsu as my next area of focus. I had been attending a Kumdo school, however it closed due to unfortunate circumstances. I want to take this time to look into my options in the area regarding Koryu sword arts, most intently on kenjutsu.

I may have found a few but wanted to check here to make sure I had the most information possible before making a decision.

Thanks in-advance for your input!

DKnowltronics
23rd May 2014, 19:33
David Knowlton

Brian Owens
23rd May 2014, 20:58
Here's one possibility:

http://www.capitalareabudokai.org/index.php?page=4

Kendoguy9
24th May 2014, 16:17
The Hobyokan is in Rockville/Bethesda and they train at NIH. The teacher is David Hall. He teaches Yagyu Shinkage-ryu, Shindo Muso-ryu and Jikishinkage-ryu. Along with Itto-ryu Jikishinkage-ryu was a major influence on modern kendo so it might be a good link between your kendo and koryu. Dr. Hall recently published an encyclopedia on Japanese martial arts that is 2nd to none as well as a wonderful academic book on Marishiten. Both are worth checking out.

Cheers,

Black and Blue
25th May 2014, 00:54
There is the Tenshin Ryu in Sterling VA.They are not Koryu but they are very strong and worth looking at.They also do Yamate Ryu Aikijutsu.Google them, also Itten Dojo in Harrisburg PA. Robert Wolf Sensei will give you some good advise as he still deals with them.You can reach him through "links" on my website below. At least worth checking out as Koryu is scarce. Good Luck

Phil Scudieri
www.delawarebudokan.net

Kendoguy9
25th May 2014, 01:30
There is the Tenshin Ryu in Sterling VA.They are not Koryu but they are very strong and worth looking at.They also do Yamate Ryu Aikijutsu.Google them, also Itten Dojo in Harrisburg PA. Robert Wolf Sensei will give you some good advise as he still deals with them.You can reach him through "links" on my website below. At least worth checking out as Koryu is scarce. Good Luck

Phil Scudieri
www.delawarebudokan.net

I think a quick search of Frederick Lovret here on e-budo might turn someone away from Itto Tenshin ryu. Besides the two dojo already listed I think there is a Katori Shinto-ryu group in Silver Springs MD. The group is under Sugawara I think.

DKnowltronics
26th May 2014, 12:47
Thanks for your responses. I was wondering about http://capitalkatori.com because according to http://tenshinsho-den-katori-shinto-ryu.org/ only two people in the US have permission to teach, unless this is different?

Kendoguy9
26th May 2014, 14:06
I don't know all the politics of Katori Shinto-ryu so I can't really speak to it. I've heard Sugawara sensei is a very talented kenjutsu-ka and teacher. There was some sort of falling out between him and Otake sensei I think. I don't know enough about it though.

DKnowltronics
2nd June 2014, 20:56
Thanks to everyone for their replies.

To summarize here is what I found:

Koryu
Dr. David Hall - Yagyu Shinkage Ryu - Hobyokan
Kurt Brown - Mugai Ryu (Study Group) - Capital Budokai

Questionable
Sugawara - Tenshin Katori Shinto Ryu - Capital Katori

I have attempted to contact Dr. Hall, no luck yet but I will keep trying. I have also contacted Mr. Brown and will be visiting his study group.

Please let me know if anyone knows of anything else in the area, I am continuing to scour forums and webpages.

Thank you so much for your assistance.