PDA

View Full Version : Sul Lang Tang (Ox Tail Soup)

Margaret Lo
29th March 2001, 17:07
Get a package of oxtails, 1 - 1.5 lb or so.

Place in big pot of water. Boil it at low heat for hours and hours, covered. Skim off scum and fat occasionally.

When the soup turns white, and meat falls off oxtails the broth is ready.

Throw in 1 1/2 cups of rice (the small cups used in Japanese rice cookers), let the rice cook til soft. Do not put rice in until broth is ready or else rice will expand too much.

Boil up a package of thin sliced soft beef (beef brisket, beef rib eye) in a separate pot using a little broth from the soup. The beef must be cooked separately or else it'll turn the soup brown. Once cooked, place beef only back in the main pot, ditch the brown beef broth and scum.

Put in a roll of thin white wheat noodles. They expand a lot so one roll or 2 will do.

Once noodles are ready, scoop into bowls, and you have oxtail rice/noodle soup. Add salt to taste and add a ton of chopped scallions. Very yummy.

Eat with lots of kimchee.

Well that's my lunch, I guess I'll go eat it now. :)

M

Earl Hartman
29th March 2001, 17:50
Ditch the beef broth? What for? Skim off the fat and scum and save for later. Geez. I'm surprised at you, Margaret.

Japanese Niku Udon (Beef Noodles)

Thinly sliced beef (about 1/4 lb. per person)
Soy sauce, sake, and sugar to taste
A lot of Japanese "naga negi" (long green onion) thinly sliced on the bias
Cooked Japanese udon (white noodles, the thick kind is best)

Simmer the beef in water until tender. Skim off the fat and scum.
When the beef is just about done, add the soy sauce, sake and sugar. Rectify seasoning as necessary (some like it saltier or sweeter. Up to you.).
Add the onions and simmer until soft but not overcooked.
Heat up the noodles in boling water. Heat up the noodle bowls.
Portion out the noodles into the bowls, add broth and beef.
Serve with a liberal dollop of shichimi togarashi (Japanese "Seven Flavor" chili powder)
Slurp it down.