PDA

View Full Version : New to everything, its nice to meet everyone.

Mihawk
10th June 2014, 15:11
Hello everyone!

Im glad to be apart of this wonderful forum. Ive been spending the last few weeks reading alot of threads and soaking up as much information as i can. I decided i should go ahead and actually become apart of the community, as opposed to lurking behind corners the whole time lol. I have recently moved back home to atlanta, after spending a few years on the west coast. I have been seeking within recent years a place to learn and study swordsmanship. Unfortunately where i was located was very very rural and had 1 martial arts school within a 100 mile radius. The school was....uh yeah...not up to par i suppose. I cant remember what the name of the style was, however it was one created by the master of the school. It looked as if he just created it 5 minutes before i walked into the school to watch. Anyway, now that im finally in a major city once again, i would like to spend as much of my energy as possible into the craft of swordsmanship! Sorry for the semi-long into. Thanks for allowing me to join you all, and i hope to be a benefit to the community as well.

Cady Goldfield
10th June 2014, 17:24
Welcome to E-Budo, Mihawk. If you haven't already done so, check out the dojo directory sub-forum in the Koryu sword arts forum. I believe there are some very good instructors of kenjutsu that are a workable commute from Atlanta.

Mihawk
10th June 2014, 18:43
Welcome to E-Budo, Mihawk. If you haven't already done so, check out the dojo directory sub-forum in the Koryu sword arts forum. I believe there are some very good instructors of kenjutsu that are a workable commute from Atlanta.

Thank ya kindly Cady! I will definitely be sure to use that part of the forum. I appreciate you directing me.

Brian Owens
10th June 2014, 20:22
Welcome to e-Budo.

Please see Rule #2 here:

http://www.e-budo.com/announcement.php?f=3

gendzwil
10th June 2014, 20:41
Welcome to e-budo. In addition to signing your name, it would be nice if you could ditch the huge graphical sig.

Cady Goldfield
10th June 2014, 22:35
Yes - that, too. Mihawk, please use your legal surname in your signature, as it's a requirement of membership. It's okay to use an initial for your first/given name, but you must use a full, real surname. Also, the large graphic is kinda rough on the eyes, if you could reduce it in size (a lot!) that would be an acceptable alternative to ditching it.

Thanks! And, again, welcome.

Welcome to e-budo. In addition to signing your name, it would be nice if you could ditch the huge graphical sig.

Mihawk
11th June 2014, 12:39
Thank you everyone for welcoming me, and information guarding the rules. The thing is, I dont recognize nor accept my given last name. Although it has not been changed legally, it has been changed personally. So "X" is my full and complete last name. I also changed my signature to make it more eye-friendly for everyone on the boards.:D

cxt
11th June 2014, 20:34
Mihawk

Almost did not post this---and still unsure that I should have.

Esp in regard to the Joes' Mcgraws post about his feelings.

I mean no disrespect or insult....either implied or inferred.

But I'm kinda troubled by you not following the membership rules about posting your name. "You" may not "recognize or accept your given last name." I honestly get that--know several people that also do not do so for various personal and legal reasons.

Thing is, deciding to call yourself whatever you make up is essentially the same as using an anonymous screen name. Which we don't do here.

In effect your saying "I want to be a member but I don't want to follow the same rules as all the other members."

People have already helped you out--so its NOT a question of not wanting to help you.

Personally I'd be happy to help if I knew of any swords schools in Atlanta. Also happy to help you with anything I can.

And I'm just a member here, just like you--I don't speak for the thread/forum/site etc.

So could I ask that you take a minute and re-examine your position on using your real name.?

Cady Goldfield
11th June 2014, 23:19
Hi Chris,
Mihawk and I have already discussed this privately, and I am satisfied that his use of "X" as his surname is legitimate.

cxt
11th June 2014, 23:51
Cady

Ok, fine by me.

Like I said, I know several people that have chosen not to use their legal names for personal and legal reasons. So I'm sure that there are good reasons for mihawks choice.

Just wanted to make sure that it was not some version of---I want to learn budo/koryu BUT, I don't want to bow to anyone, or I don't want to learn Japanese words or why can't I train in board shorts and a t-shirt or, I don't want to train with or be taught by women. etc.

Not trying to make a big deal out of it, so this is the last I'm going to say anything about it.

Other than to wish mihawk a "welcome."