PDA

View Full Version : Shinkeno Gwinnett, Ga

Mihawk
10th June 2014, 14:40
Hey everyone! So ive been digging through the forums and the internet to find a good school within my driving range. I came across this school. http://www.japaneseswordsmanship.com/joomla/ . I have read a few good things about Obata Toshishiro, whom is the creator of the art. However he isnt one of the teachers at the school, and in fact he teaches 3000 miles away heh. So im just curious if anyone has been to, trained at/with, or just knows some one at the school and can give me an idea of its legitimacy? I have a fairly limited idea of what i should properly be looking for within a school, and want to ensure i am training properly and efficiently.

Brian Owens
10th June 2014, 19:37
I haven't trained at the Georgia school, but I trained with a former student of Obata Sensei in Seattle. Obata Sensei was a student of Nakamura Taizaburo, who was a leading exponent of Toyama Ryu Battojutsu and the founder of Nakamura-ryu Happogiri Battodo . Although not considered "koryu," Toyama-ryu and Nakamura-ryu are what I would call "legit" modern arts (gendai), and Shinkendo is an organizational offshoot of those systems and so I would also consider it to be legitimate.

You can see if a school and/or teacher you are looking at is an authorized branch of Shinkendo by visiting the ISF Web site here:

http://www.shinkendo.com/locator.html

(Yes, the Gwinnett Dojo is listed.)

Mihawk
11th June 2014, 11:52
I see, thanks brian. I did visit the site and did indeed read alot of good info from it. I was just slightly curious about the school in particular, and those i would be learning from. I dont have any doubts about Obata and the System, however because he will not be teaching me the art, I just wanted to see what i could find out from personal experience anyone has had. I am definitely interested in this school though, the fact that its only a 40 minute drive is a huge plus as well. Once again i appreciate the info brian!

gendzwil
11th June 2014, 15:54
As you're in Atlanta, you can also check out the Georgia Kendo Association (http://www.georgiakendo.net/) under Arai-sensei or Atlanta Kendo Kai (http://www.atlantakendokai.org/instructors/) under Barr-sensei. I have practiced with GKA a couple of times and can tell you Arai-sensei is a good instructor and they have a nice atmosphere. I haven't been to AKK but I've met Barr-sensei, she's very nice and has lovely kendo so I'm sure you would get good instruction there as well.

Mihawk
12th June 2014, 12:20
Awesome, thanks for recommendations gendzwil. Honestly, Ive been a little hesitant towards kendo schools, because of things i have read online. Its commonly just referred to as a sport, and not a martial art. However the two schools you linked do seem awesome, and close. I like the 2 month beginner programs they both have. So i can start with a class of fresh new individuals like myself, im not sure which i would prefer. Both schools have a new 2 month beginner class starting in july. Im leaning towards AKK as its about a 30min drive, as opposed to GKA which is an hour drive. However i think i will try to arrange a meeting or something with both dojos, so i can have a look around. Thanks again Gendzwil.

gendzwil
12th June 2014, 14:49
If you talk to Shinkendo people they will sometimes put kendo down as just a sport, however you will find that kendo is both sport and martial art. By all means visit both places but I think you're likely to have more success with the one that is more convenient and I am sure both provide quality instruction.

Mihawk
12th June 2014, 17:00
If you talk to Shinkendo people they will sometimes put kendo down as just a sport, however you will find that kendo is both sport and martial art. By all means visit both places but I think you're likely to have more success with the one that is more convenient and I am sure both provide quality instruction.

Thank you for information and response Sir Gendzwil. Yeah, ive noticed that lately as well. Since you have posted the information about the schools, i have been spending alot of time reading about kendo and how other sword arts views them. However I have read some very good opinions about kendo. Yeah, its a very high chance i will pick AKK because of its convenience factor. However if its one thing i know, its americans are addicted to convenience. So i want to break that habbit, and not go for what will be more convenient, but what is going to be better overall for my development. I trust your opinion about them both having quality instruction, so i suppose it will boil down to which one just "feels" right when i enter it. Thanks again for info!

pgsmith
12th June 2014, 18:50
Mihawk,
Kendo does get short shrift on occassion, usually from people that don't understand it. The famous swordsman Nakamura Taizaburo, who was Obata sensei's teacher, considered kendo an essential part of being a complete swordsman. I think you're doing the right thing personally in visiting both dojo. However, I would recommend only going to the one that is farther away if it feels a lot better to you than the close one. One of my Japanese instructors was fond of saying that the hardest thing about learning any martial art is getting to the dojo regularly. If you can go regularly, everything else comes with practice.

Good luck!