PDA

View Full Version : Why is gayku tembin a Goka Ken hokei?

Fernando
27th July 2014, 23:40
Gassho,

Hello, there!

I have just graded for ikkyu and now I'm just beginning to learn the shodan syllabus. It has brought to my attention that gyaku tembin belongs to Goka Ken family, as I find it very similar to ude juji gatame. More specifically, I can't find the "goju ittai" aspect of it, because I don't see the goho part of it. If I didn't knew, I'd bet it is a Kongo Ken technique. Could someone please explain to me why it is not?

Kesshu.

Kari MakiKuutti
30th July 2014, 20:32
Please read descriptions of technique families here:
http://www.shorinjikempo.se/en/about-shorinji-kempo/techniques/hokei/

Gyaku tembin (nage) is a throwing technique, not a pinning technique (as would be in Kongo ken)

Fernando
30th July 2014, 23:46
Gassho,

Thank you very much, Kari, for your answer.

We don't study here gyaku tembin as nage (for shodan). We keep the position as a pin, then finish with hiji ate and sokuto geri (both kosha and shusha standing up). In fact, the curriculum for kyu kenshi does not include the word nage in the name of this hokei.

Anayway, what you say makes sense to me. I understand you can throw someone using this hokei. I think it could be (again) compared with ude juji: For rokukyu it is studied as a "standing up pin", finished with atemi, and for sankyu appears again as ude juji gatame tate gassho gatame which does includes a throw (Although, again, this similarity could bring me to the original question of Why are not both of them in the same family? :confused:)

Also, after reading the description of the families in your link, I have noticed that for Goka Ken it states "is trowing techniques, some of them by defence from strikes and then grab and throw.", I think my confusion came from this: As this is my first goka ken hokei, I had not payed before attention to this family and I had the (wrong) idea that all goka ken hokei comprised both goho and juho elements (other than atemis for adpoting kagite or finishing...) as in uwa uke nage.

So, thank you again and best regards.

Kesshu.