PDA

View Full Version : Romaji transcripts to Japanese movies?

Ric Flinn
24th June 2000, 21:00
I think a really excellent way to for an intermediate Japanese student to learn the language would be to have a transcript (in romaji) to a cool Japanese film. When I watch Japanese movies, anime, etc. I can usually make out many of the shorter, slower sentences, but just bits and pieces of the fast stuff, just because I can't "hear that fast." Does anybody know of any romaji-Japanese movie scripts? Anyone wanna make one?

Ric Flinn

Joseph Svinth
25th June 2000, 09:14
Donald Richie published an English-language script for Rashomon; probably you could build a romaji script based on that easily enough.

Speaking of Rashomon, anybody ever see the American remake? I haven't, but I think it was one of William Shatner's first movies. (Captain Kirk in the Wild West...)

Adam DArcy
26th June 2000, 06:47
If you are in Japan and can get to Kinokuniya or Maruzen (or maybe other book stores that I am not aware of) you can find Japanese (not in Romaji) transcripts of most popular American films. I haven't seen many transcripts of other country's films...

Pulp Fiction was especially interesting as I recall. It was quite different than the "fuki kae" version (dubbed), but still pretty funny.

I've seen Rashomon a bizzilion times! It's one of the films that got me started in Nihongo in the first place. I haven't heard of an American version, but I can't see Machiko Kyo, Shimura Takeshi, and of course Mifune Toshiro being bested by anyone over here...Very curious, though!

Adam

hikari
26th June 2000, 09:57
Right now I'm watching the "Steet Fighter 2" series of OVAs in the German "VOX" channel. They're in original Japanese version with German subtitles ("Practise 2 languages for the price of 1!"). Cute. I understand very little but it's nice to see actual conversation.